Pray for Kaohsiung, Taiwan

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
An incredible blast

Those are some kind of crazy pictures ! Can you imagine what that sounded like?

Those in the know are aware of just how important it is to find the source of the leak as fast and as safely as possible.

Thoughts and prayers for the people of Kaoshiung.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow, the live footage of that explosion rippling under the streets and opening them up like a zipper looks like something out of a special effects sequence for a disaster movie!

Warm thoughts and vibes to those poor folks.

-Sean

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not the first time ... and no where near the worst.

Before any of us were born the City of San Francisco was completely destroyed, and I mean the entire city, by a gas explosion and the resulting fires.

The San Francisco you see today is actually the second San Francisco...

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Wow, the live footage of that explosion rippling under the streets and opening them up like a zipper looks like something out of a special effects sequence for a disaster movie!

Warm thoughts and vibes to those poor folks.

-Sean

I saw some other better video, I forget where. The flames from the explosions reportedly went 20 stories high and it looked that way. Massive! It was a series of @ 5 explosions, from one street to the next to the next in sequence. Brutal. Like massive bombs dropped from the sky.

I trust they will recover but there's going to be a lot of grieving. Sad...

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Natural gas vapors are lighter then air so it rises, that's why the flames were so high. Except for material that caught fire, the intial fire went out probably very quickly.
As compared to gasoline which vapors are heavier and hug the ground.
The probable reason the explosion and ensuing flames went such a distance, was the gas leaked for a significant amount of time. When it reached a point between the lower explosive limit and upper expolsive limit and an igniton source was reached. Terrible result. Something as small as somebody ringing a door bell or turning on a light could have been the ignition source.

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't imagine how much your life and so many others has turned upside down Vincent. Hang tough.

I've moved to the US for 5 years already, but my parents still live there. However, they are currently here visiting me. Luckily, the explosions happened on the other side of town as well. It's quite a tragedy but good thing there seems to be a lot of support going into the relief program already. Homes and roads can be rebuilt, but the lives lost are gone forever.

eric671019

Registered
Kaohsiung is my hometown too. There are many top pro players such as Kevin Cheng, Yang Ching-Shun, etc. are also from Kaohsiung.