New Magic Chalk

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed that Seybert's is selling Magic Chalk with a Yellow wrapper instead of the black.

Someone told me it's a new formula for the chalk, and I tried it and wasn't sure it was any different. Can anyone confirm if the chalk is the same?

New Magic Chalk with yellow label:
s-l640.jpg

Previous Magic Chalk with black label
images

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered a couple of dozen boxes from ChicagoRJ a while back and they had a yellow wrapper. Seems like the same chalk to me.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered a couple of dozen boxes from ChicagoRJ a while back and they had a yellow wrapper. Seems like the same chalk to me.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the chalk waters....

In 5 years will we have a "pre-yellow" Magic Chalk thread about how the old stuff was better?

Seems the wrapper is a step back in how it looks. A few steps back actually.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were some complaints about how the paper was not good quality when it was black. Maybe the yellow is stronger and will last longer?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Anybody have some pre-Lenin Magic Chalk?
That Czarist stuff was the best.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were some complaints about how the paper was not good quality when it was black. Maybe the yellow is stronger and will last longer?

The ones I had, it was a bit loose on the chalk, but I don't think the paper itself was bad, it was just not attached to the chalk well. I think I had 3 or 4 boxes of it and they all were that way.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The original wrapper was glued on pretty solidly. I used to cut it off with a razor blade. Perhaps the new paper is easier to remove.. RJ will know 4 sure.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed that Seybert's is selling Magic Chalk with a Yellow wrapper instead of the black.

Someone told me it's a new formula for the chalk, and I tried it and wasn't sure it was any different. Can anyone confirm if the chalk is the same?

New Magic Chalk with yellow label:
s-l640.jpg

Previous Magic Chalk with black label
images
Yeah, I noticed Seyberts discounted their price on the Magic Chalk. Curious if the new version is less expensive, or if they've lowered the price just until they're able to deplete their inventory of the older version?

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The yellow wrap seems like a slicker finished paper. I've had a couple yellows that didn't adhere well.

I understood the change to yellow was to make the product more noticeable when on the rail; ideally during professional play. It seems to me the target was to be a 'golden" tone. The yellow is somewhat milk toast to me. Also, a huge red single star would have made it really pop against a bright yellow/gold backdrop.

It is an excellent chalk, however.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Changed to the GOLD (not yellow) wrapper well over a year ago. Other threads on the issue as well because the new wrapper now has a FLAG on it, ok it's the Russian flag, but that still makes the black label "pre-flag".

And just like Masters when they went to a flag, it had nothing to do with the formula. I asked the manufacturer to change the label to a GOLD color, add the flag etc. And yes, I wanted it to stick out more when being used by folks and if you drop it in a dark pool hard it's kinda hard to find when it's black. Plus, many other brands are black too.

Actually, somebody from AZB designed it for me. I had a little contest for folks with design experience. He got FREE chalk and I got a new design. I sent to manufacturer and they put it on the chalk. The flag is on the bottom of the cube :)

The box has been changed also. And will be on market pretty soon. It has a Russian double headed eagle to add some old world flavor to the box ;)

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
New box design to be release shortly. I like the old world look a little better. We'll see if folks hate it or like it soon enough ;)

Attachments

• RMC.jpg
    RMC.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 514

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes the gold makes it stand out more on the rail.
Now the chalk nappers will see it more easily and steal it.
I'm going to use a sharpie and change it back to black.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Yes the gold makes it stand out more on the rail.
Now the chalk nappers will see it more easily and steal it.
I'm going to use a sharpie and change it back to black.

Hmmmm, never thought about that aspect. at least if you run to take a wiz, you can just stick in your pocket ;)

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very attention grabbing 2 pack box. Gives it an aire of high quality, elegance and sophistication.

I 'd suggest the chalk with the "two headed emblem" would tie the two together and make things easily recognizable both at retail and on the rail. I see the fact that it's easier to locate when knocked on the floor as a non issue, or at best a stretch to support the choice of a lighter wrapper.

I really struggle to discern what chalk a player uses regardless of brand.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ouch ;) Well, AZB guy designed the chalk, I designed the box ;)

Probably too late, but I agree with an earlier poster that the box design should be on the chalk as well, maybe in red instead of yellow.

Either way, good chalk, but I end up not using it much, in my case it's because of my son who loves to leave it behind on tables. I should take a security deposit from him each time he wants to use it.

Reactions: KRJ

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Probably too late, but I agree with an earlier poster that the box design should be on the chalk as well, maybe in red instead of yellow.

Either way, good chalk, but I end up not using it much, in my case it's because of my son who loves to leave it behind on tables. I should take a security deposit from him each time he wants to use it.

Can't do red, Masters Chalk is red ;) But, I agree, the double headed eagle will make it's way to the chalk ;)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't do red, Masters Chalk is red ;) But, I agree, the double headed eagle will make it's way to the chalk ;)

How about black, but with the eagle in a yellow circle and the Magic Chalk logo in yellow? From my view, the all yellow just looks a bit cheap and low quality. Probably from years of flashy cheap junk in bright colors. Plenty of $250 crap laptops in purple lids, but the high end IBM stuff, all black and understated. And one of the best keyboards, the Das, black. Even the tops of the keys in some models hehe.

EDIT. the eagle is yellow, so in a yellow circle would be a bit lost LOL. Black with the yellow eagle should be pretty nice i think.

Last edited: