Illegal to Sell Ivory in Minnesota? Nationally?

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Someone was telling me this weekend a law just passed that will make selling ivory in any capacity illegal?

Does anyone have any insight on this?? Is it just Minnesota, or nationally? Or is he mistaken?

Thanks...

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I heard it can't cross state lines (as in any of them) and the sale has to be completely legit, or it's breaking laws.

Someone will chime in with a link to the thread discussing this in full detail, I'm sure.

Under Federal law, you can sell your African elephant ivory within your state (intrastate commerce) if you can demonstrate that your ivory was lawfully imported prior to the date that the African elephant was listed in CITES Appendix I (January 18, 1990). ... Some states have laws prohibiting or restricting sale of ivory.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
So, I have a piano with ivory keys. Is that ivory salvageable and be of any use/worth to a cue builder?

The way I interpret the law, old family eirlooms/artifacts with obvious dated ivory (does not affect the current wild elephant population) is absolutely acceptable for sale/transfer.

Across state lines I do not know. And after the cue maker repurposes those piano keys (obviously older ivory) into a brand new cue, there's a need for proof

There's a bunch of ivory experts on here that should take over for me. I'm getting beyond my knowledge on this one.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It Is Not Complicated & #45’s New Elephant Trophy Hunts Are Outside The Ivory Bans

I rely largely on a website that is timely updated for changes. States with bans already passed are listed.
States considering legislation are identified. But The bottom line is you must look at the ivory ban 3 ways
to understand it: Intrastate, Interstate & International.

There are different laws and restrictions that apply so take the time to understand the difference before buying
or selling a cue that contains any ivory. Then also consider whether it helps or hinders the possible resale of your
cue if you think that’s a likely development down the road.

Here is the simple approach. If you live in a state that has enacted an ivory ban, it was done on a
de facto basis. Clause 3 Article 1, Section 9 of The United States Constitution prohibits the passage
of any ex post facto laws. So if you own a cue, your ownership is protected and guaranteed under
the U.S. Constitution. However, you likely aren’t going to be able to sell that cue to anyone within
your own state, and certainly can’t sell it to anyone living in a state that also has banned ivory. In fact,
to legally sell your cue or buy another one, you must conduct the transaction (including negotiation
effort) while outside the jurisdiction of your own state. Surrender or acceptance of the cue and exchange
of money must be handled the same way. The starting point is to read exactly what your own state law
Is and proceed accordingly. Don’t even bother thinking international sales since you need a CITES
certificate which are basically impossible to get. What happens if you get caught?

It depends on which version of the law you broke and which agency catches you. Again, take the time to
do the research and it is simple. Here is a website you can use: https://www.aaps-journal.org or PM me.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
I rely largely on a website that is timely updated for changes. States with bans already passed are listed.
States considering legislation are identified. But The bottom line is you must look at the ivory ban 3 ways
to understand it: Intrastate, Interstate & International.

There are different laws and restrictions that apply so take the time to understand the difference before buying
or selling a cue that contains any ivory. Then also consider whether it helps or hinders the possible resale of your
cue if you think that’s a likely development down the road.

Here is the simple approach. If you live in a state that has enacted an ivory ban, it was done on a
de facto basis. Clause 3 Article 1, Section 9 of The United States Constitution prohibits the passage
of any ex post facto laws. So if you own a cue, your ownership is protected and guaranteed under
the U.S. Constitution. However, you likely aren’t going to be able to sell that cue to anyone within
your own state, and certainly can’t sell it to anyone living in a state that also has banned ivory. In fact,
to legally sell your cue or buy another one, you must conduct the transaction (including negotiation
effort) while outside the jurisdiction of your own state. Surrender or acceptance of the cue and exchange
of money must be handled the same way. The starting point is to read exactly what your own state law
Is and proceed accordingly. Don’t even bother thinking international sales since you need a CITES
certificate which are basically impossible to get. What happens if you get caught?

It depends on which version of the law you broke and which agency catches you. Again, take the time to
do the research and it is simple. Here is a website you can use: https://www.aaps-journal.org or PM me.

Appreciate the comprehensive response. I don't see anything recent pertaining to Minnesota in that link, but I'll check back periodically. That site looks like it's a great resource for this.

Thanks for responses.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
However, you likely aren’t going to be able to sell that cue to anyone within
your own state, and certainly can’t sell it to anyone living in a state that also has banned ivory.

Yikes!
No wonder people just bust up antique pianos.
Like Mr Scott, there's one here to get rid of, but apparently that would be illegal in a state with an ivory ban?

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Yikes!
No wonder people just bust up antique pianos.
Like Mr Scott, there's one here to get rid of, but apparently that would be illegal in a state with an ivory ban?

If the ivory is the only deal breaker on selling the.piano, replace the key tops. A full set is less than $50.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only way to safe way to transact sales of products with ivory right now is::

face-to-face
with no phone or text records leading to or following sale
even if one or both of the transactors have to drive out of their home state.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re: the piano in NY, it really does look sketchy to sell it to"anyone" you don't know.
Might explain some fishing from other states that was worded funny. I did not include natural materials or any such words in the ad, either.

Here's the NY clause.

effective August 12, 2014. It prohibits the sale, offer
for sale, purchase, trade, barter, or distribution of ivory articles and rhinoceros horns, except that in very
limited situations DEC may issue a license under the provisions of ECL § 11‐0535‐a(3)(a)‐(d). Pursuant to
ECL § 11‐0535‐a(3)(d), if an ivory article or rhinoceros horn is part of a musical instrument, the item may
be sold or purchased with a DEC license if the owner or seller can document that the instrument was
manufactured no later than 1975

From reading further, DEC license requests go to the dead letter pile and die. Per the note about putting plastic tops on - even these ornate old pianos don't have much value if not a Grand piano. I thought there might be some interest in this one because it is a Wegmans (like the supermarkets) made around 1912. Sad, but practically speaking, it is just worth busting up for a few small percentage materials.

Thanks for the links and advice.

smt