Noisy Phones in pool room

AZslim

Registered
All,

I have a slight rant about people having phones with loud rings or loud messages when they receive texts.

Why can't they put their phone on vibrate and/or look at them when they are in the chair?

How hard is it to figure out that a device that randomly produces a loud noise is not a good idea when people are trying to concentrate on their shot?

Rant over.

Thanks.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
All,

I have a slight rant about people having phones with loud rings or loud messages when they receive texts.

Why can't they put their phone on vibrate and/or look at them when they are in the chair?

How hard is it to figure out that a device that randomly produces a loud noise is not a good idea when people are trying to concentrate on their shot?

Rant over.

Thanks.

A pool hall is not a library, so you'll have little buy-in on that.

I have stipulated that opponents in action have to turn their phones off and put them away or forfeit the set, but that's only if I know they frequently interrupt the game to text or whatever.

Otherwise, just learn to tune it out

AZslim

Registered
A pool hall is not a library, so you'll have little buy-in on that.

I have stipulated that opponents in action have to turn their phones off and put them away or forfeit the set, but that's only if I know they frequently interrupt the game to text or whatever.

Otherwise, just learn to tune it out

I suppose, but some people have the text announcement so loud you can hear it throughout the whole room.

Pretty thoughtless and annoying, plus almost guaranteed to shark you if it goes off right in the backstroke when it's that loud.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suppose, but some people have the text announcement so loud you can hear it throughout the whole room.

Pretty thoughtless and annoying, plus almost guaranteed to shark you if it goes off right in the backstroke when it's that loud.

How else will they let you know they are important;)

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Phones and the rude behavior that come with them are here to stay. If you can't learn to tune it out I have a solution. I am a big fan of cut down ear plugs. CVS has some that are tan and when cut down they don't show unless someone is practically in your ear. You can still hear what you need to hear and the music on the juke box but it "mutes down" most of what happens a bit away from you.

AZslim

Registered
Phones and the rude behavior that come with them are here to stay. If you can't learn to tune it out I have a solution. I am a big fan of cut down ear plugs. CVS has some that are tan and when cut down they don't show unless someone is practically in your ear. You can still hear what you need to hear and the music on the juke box but it "mutes down" most of what happens a bit away from you.

Thanks for the idea. In this particular case the phone was the person I was playing and it was very close to me when it went off. It has gone off many times before because the individual always has it set this way and you can hear it everywhere in the room. Truth be told I lost my temper a little and told them to put it on vibrate only and was sick of hearing it every time they were in the room. I doubt I will playing them again.

You are right, it is here to stay and I have to deal with it, but it is still thoughtless when there is a vibrate only setting. I can understand forgetting once in while, or not missing something very important, but jeeze, 5 to 10 times every time you are in the room is ridiculous.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I was playing a guy a few weeks ago who would spend all his time between trips to the table on his phone. I had to keep telling him when it was his shot.

I was waiting for some people to move before I shot once, and he looked up and saw me just standing there, so he starts asking, "Is it my shot?" "Is it my shot?" I said no, but he didn't hear me so he gets up to shoot, and I have to go over to him and tell him that it's not his shot.

At that point I had had enough, so I told him to pay attention because I wasn't going to keep telling him when it was his shot. He quit after that set and has never played me again.

Some people are addicted to their cell phones.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the idea. In this particular case the phone was the person I was playing and it was very close to me when it went off. It has gone off many times before because the individual always has it set this way and you can hear it everywhere in the room. Truth be told I lost my temper a little and told them to put it on vibrate only and was sick of hearing it every time they were in the room. I doubt I will playing them again.

You are right, it is here to stay and I have to deal with it, but it is still thoughtless when there is a vibrate only setting. I can understand forgetting once in while, or not missing something very important, but jeeze, 5 to 10 times every time you are in the room is ridiculous.

You bet. Sounds like someone to put on your rather not play list. Or you could catch a monster gear and he could sit there and play with his phone except when it Is time to rack:thumbup:

To me the "worst" cell phone thing out there is the folks that get on speaker phone and hold it out there like they are one of the Kardasian Sisters. That is obnoxious anywhere!

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually like it when my opponent is distracted during our match "if" were gambling.

If my opponent is distracted while I'm shooting, lol....I'll take advantage of that. Unless they are very strong players, they will either put their phone up or...lol pay off more often.

On the other hand, if we're playing for funnzies, naw...I had rather play the ghost.

In the end, it's disrespectful at the least. But, like I said, it's IMO....free money most of the time.

Jeff

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the Midwest 9b Tour its BIH on first offense, if it goes off again its loss of game and if it happens third time its loss of match. This is clearly announced prior to play and i've yet to see it come into play. TD E. Dysart doesn't mess around. These things drive me nuts in the 'hall.

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am always gambling when I play. I leave my phone in the car, do not want any distractions. However, I hope my opponent is getting lots of calls because it takes their mind off our game. Some times they get bad news and really get mad and then I have a big advantage. If I can get an edge on my opponent I will take it such as phone calls, messages, opponent drinking while playing, things like that.
Tom

AZslim

Registered
I am always gambling when I play. I leave my phone in the car, do not want any distractions. However, I hope my opponent is getting lots of calls because it takes their mind off our game. Some times they get bad news and really get mad and then I have a big advantage. If I can get an edge on my opponent I will take it such as phone calls, messages, opponent drinking while playing, things like that.
Tom

What if it just makes noise and he really doesn't pay attention to it?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

If he has his text set to voice and it is loud enough for many to hear my solution would be to get his phone number and send embarrassing text messages, that might get him to turn it down.:yikes::yikes::rotflmao1::rotflmao1: I agree that cell phone behavior is extremely annoying, I have had issues where I called my shot and my opponent did not hear or see the shot and questions if it was a good or a called shot, I tell them they should have been paying attention to the game, I will not verify that they heard me because they are too busy playing with their phones, in BCA rules the call goes to the shooter. I have a team mate that is the same way with his phone, I have seen him not take BIH after an opponent fouls because he was too busy checking his phone, after not taking BIH and missing a difficult shot I will offer that I thought that was a strange strategy to play that shot with BIH.:confused::confused: I may suggest to him to pay attention next time his game is up. I guess I am just old school because I grew up without cell phones and I just dont find it necessary to be available at a moments notice 24/7, if it takes 30 minutes to check on a call or text so be it, my ringer almost always on silent.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me it just boils down to common(not so i guess) courtesy. Turn the damn thing off while playing. The addiction to these things is insane. I made a $50 bet with one of the waitresses that she couldn't go 15min without looking at her phone. FIFTY bux in 15min. She didn't take the bet. She told me there was no way. Insanity.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard Times, Sacramento had a rule that started some time ago that if your phone rang while you were in a tournament match you lost a game on the wire in rotation games and it was ball in hand in one pocket.

I don’t recall it needing to be enforced much but you do not hear the phones much in the tournament room.

I gamble with a couple players that are constantly looking at their phones or texting in between shots. It is rude, but I also think it hurts their concentration so I let it go. I turn mine off and check it from time to time when I am not playing.