EMILY DUDDY Professional

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The two separate issues of the show, to my mind, were how women are treated differently than equal men... they are, of course, and the differences in skill level to be considered “pro” level.
Obviously the show was JUST about treatment, but the issue of skill level is inevitable when this sort of thing comes up.
Was she mistreated? Of course, but the character who taunted her would very likely have done the same
To a man if he could get in his head as obviously as he got into hers.

Skill level.... it needs to be one of two approaches, either top flight or pro comparable to the men, or noted that it is only in a “lower” category of players.

So for the ladies.... “I am a pro pool player” should be “I am a pro pool player in WPBA”
Unless, of course she has the chops that Jean B had, and proved, by playing with the men.

As for the “disguise “ it was awesome! She failed miserably to carry it off, but a fine and entertaining attempt.
Nobody would believe she was a man, or at least “manly”.... Jennifer should have introduced Alex as her cousin the hairdresser and it would have solved the effeminate issue and maybe been believed. If it wasn’t scripted, it would not have been convincing enough.

No, there is a third "approach" its called FargoRate, and if she said, I'm a Pro pool player with a Fargo below 600 that's not an alternative standard, that's being delusional.

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, there is a third "approach" its called FargoRate, and if she said, I'm a Pro pool player with a Fargo below 600 that's not an alternative standard, that's being delusional.

There used to be a pack of like 4 of the NYC self proclaimed lady pros. The only one I'd consider a looker was Borana Andoni who gives Duddy the 5 out.

Attachments

• 2009BoranaPhotoFeatureandoni17.jpg
    2009BoranaPhotoFeatureandoni17.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 495

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The premise of this show is silly and not representative
of the pool halls I've been to.
Maybe I just haven't seen it but, all the women I have
played with or against have been treated with respect.
All have been treated as equals with respect to their
abilities, as I'm sure we all have.
Busting balls is part of the fun, if everyone is
not busting on you a bit, you would feel left out.
I imagine that wouldn't make for good t.v. though.

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread has been, at times, disturbing. It should not be about Emily's speed as a player. She's not Jean Balukas or Siming Chen, both of whom were inclined and skilled enough to put fear into some of the truly elite men professionals. Yes, we all know the top men would very easily beat Emily, but so what?

Emily is one of the best American woman players, and that's not a matter of opinion. Emily has some top ten finishes in top level WPBA competition, including a 7th place finish in the Women's US Open. For those who've suggested that's not pro speed, you are uninformed and mistaken.

Emily Duddy is also a fine representative for our sport, generally cheerful, always well dressed, engagingly outgoing, and very supportive of her fellow pros, men and women alike. Our sport could do with a few more just like Emily.

Everyone has a right to like or dislike this show and to agree or disagree with its premise, conclusions and message, but this show placed pool on mainstream TV, and it made pool look cool and fun. Some ladies who watched will be intrigued about pool because of this, and some men may suddenly see the poolroom as a place to meet ladies as lovely as Emily Duddy and Jennifer Barretta. Time will tell.

For now, though, let's celebrate the attention that this show has brought to our sport.

Come on already, a lot of those WPBA events have APA level filler in them & that is an actual fact. Not that impressive to get a top 10 finish there after you get through the first few rounds.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The premise of this show is silly and not representative
of the pool halls I've been to.
Maybe I just haven't seen it but, all the women I have
played with or against have been treated with respect.
All have been treated as equals with respect to their
abilities, as I'm sure we all have.
Busting balls is part of the fun, if everyone is
not busting on you a bit, you would feel left out.
I imagine that wouldn't make for good t.v. though.

THIS! They are trying to propagate a narrative that is completely false and does more harm than good. Reminds me of Leonard Cohen talking about getting people to look at you. He said getting people to look at you is easy. Anybody can get people to look at them, all you have to do is stand on a busy street corner and wave a stick around.

Last edited:

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are people you know.

And the men of pro (and internet) pool are such a fine looking bunch of specimens.

We know. Actually there are plenty of good looking male pros. So where your going with this doesn't work. The difference? Eklent Kaci is good enough at pool without having to pose in a speedo on top of a table.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
We know. Actually there are plenty of good looking male pros. So where your going with this doesn't work. The difference? Eklent Kaci is good enough at pool without having to pose in a speedo on top of a table.

Thanks for that image:eek:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are people you know.

And the men of pro (and internet) pool are such a fine looking bunch of specimens.

I never said she wasn't good looking. She was. That is why they called her "The Striking Viking".

Her only "flaw" was her overbite and that didn't keep her from looking better than the majority of women.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In NYC, more likely a good "C". Seriously.

My thoughts are close. I was thinking a solid "B" on her good days.

Personally, I've never matched up against her but, I know a few of what I call weak "A" players that was lucky enough to get her to play and all of them was able to get there easily for the cash.

One of them ran over her like she had never played. The others beat her but, not to awfully bad.

One of those weaker "A" players beat the ever-living-crap out of Jennifer the next night.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never said she wasn't good looking. She was. That is why they called her "The Striking Viking".

Her only "flaw" was her overbite and that didn't keep her from looking better than the majority of women.

I agree and it was worse in person and I doubt most have had the pleasure to meet her in person.

She is an attractive lady and moreso a wonderful person.

Jeff

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thoughts are close. I was thinking a solid "B" on her good days.

Personally, I've never matched up against her but, I know a few of what I call weak "A" players that was lucky enough to get her to play and all of them was able to get there easily for the cash.

One of them ran over her like she had never played. The others beat her but, not to awfully bad.

One of those weaker "A" players beat the ever-living-crap out of Jennifer the next night.

Jeff

Good news, we don't have to speculate. She's the same rating no matter where she plays, New Yorkers LOVE to point out "but an A there is a C here" :rolleyes: No need to use letters anymore, when numbers are far more accurate. Shes a 593 Fargo in New York, Europe and the local YMCA.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good news, we don't have to speculate. She's the same rating no matter where she plays, New Yorkers LOVE to point out "but an A there is a C here" :rolleyes: No need to use letters anymore, when numbers are far more accurate. Shes a 593 Fargo in New York, Europe and the local YMCA.

Yep, I knew what her fargo was.

And yes, a 593 is a 593 until "it isn't" a 593.

Like you said, we don't have to speculate but, some choose to do just that. I'm so glad we are free to choose.

Jeff