How to deal with trash talk?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here on az there is no way to reason with them
it is best to avoid contact

at the pool hall Little Jackie Potter was 14 years old and weighed in at 85 pounds

his advice was "smack em in the mouth"

at least here ,all they do is type ignore them and its like they are not there

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those people are everywhere.
They usually are sad people with low self esteem.
They hate themselves so much that they must project
the hate for themselves, onto others.

Have pity for these people, for they are sad in more
ways than one.

Hard to keep running your mouth when your
getting beat down. Playing well is your best defense.

I'm all for talking $h!t if its mutual. Just running your
mouth to people you don't know or your just being an
azz is pointless and sad.

Ring games with full sharking(no touching) is good training and a good time.

If someone is constantly talking while I'm down
on a shot. I will get up and go sit in my chair.
When they ask what I'm doing, I just tell them
when they are finished talking I will take my turn.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When the sharking or other BS got too outrageous I just sat down or wandered off during my turn to talk to a friend or buy a beer. If I bought a beer then I sat in my chair and took a swallow now and then. I totally ignored the table until the opposing player or team settled down.

Repeat this a few times and even the densest catch on.

Hu

Recently matched up. I was slowly pulling away and had just put an early 9 and a BNR on my opponent. We were playing loser rack. He just sat there after my BNR. I sat down and waited. I finally heard him say, “I’m not playing while they are there.”

I realized he meant a small group that had gathered by the bar, near the head of our table, that were just visiting. Not one of them was involved in our game.

Not that anyone asked me but “*****” move on his part. I was the one playing, he was racking. Hope I never get so bothered by normal bar scene that I can’t rack. Won easily that night but likely will not play him again.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somewhere along the line I learned to zone out most of what my opponent was doing during a match.

You just have to be able to block it out and go about your bizaness.

Now, OTOH, if it's gambling match, I don't need the action or dough enough to put up with an obnoxious opponent long term and will just unscrew at an appropriate moment and tell them to go pound sand. But for tournament, or perhaps a league situation, you just let it pass and try to to HF them :) That's the best revenge.

Lou Figueroa

JC

Coos Cues
The last guy I want to play in a tournament is a guy who wants respect....
...you know the kind....everybody should stop moving and talking when he plays.

I like trash-talking gin rummy sessions...and I mostly like talking pool sessions...
...some guys don’t know where the line is that you shouldn’t cross....
...for those guys, I go to the ‘road’ mode....and don’t talk so much.

You got that straight brother. The more respect they demand the less they generally command.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's a first!

I have never heard of somebody being sharked so badly they couldn't rack!:rolleyes: I guess any excuse to slow things down when they were losing.

Hu

Recently matched up. I was slowly pulling away and had just put an early 9 and a BNR on my opponent. We were playing loser rack. He just sat there after my BNR. I sat down and waited. I finally heard him say, “I’m not playing while they are there.”

I realized he meant a small group that had gathered by the bar, near the head of our table, that were just visiting. Not one of them was involved in our game.

Not that anyone asked me but “*****” move on his part. I was the one playing, he was racking. Hope I never get so bothered by normal bar scene that I can’t rack. Won easily that night but likely will not play him again.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a pool league match tonight, and multiple times a couple of members from the opposing team talked an enormous amount of trash during the games. It was actually ridiculous and pretty insulting to go with it.

I made it a point to ask my captain to play me against the biggest trash talker on the team. I prevailed. However, I thought it was one of the most low-classed displays I've ever witnessed.The person I played eventually shut his mouth because of how the game was going, however, the captain of the opposing team kept up with the insults, making terrible garbage remarks about safety plays (which actually weren't safeties at all)….

I'm not going to go into it, except for the fact that our team won 14-1. Just curious if you have encountered much of this kind of thing and what your mentality and outlook during a match is, if you guys have ever been faced with this kind of thing.

Have you had to deal with this and what is your mindset?

Talking shit is pretty common in sports. I think you got to learn to zone it out, or talk shit back. I remember a story about Tiger Woods learning as a kid, his dad would jiggle change in his pocket when he was putting to teach him to block that stuff out.