Hal Houle, not an aiming thread

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps I just don't understand it; but is he saying that regardless of the position of the balls on the table, that there are only these 6 discrete aiming points necessary to put the object ball in a pocket? On its face that is contradictory to simple geometry. How can it be?

Works better if you don't shoot with your face.

:D

BJTyler747

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...When you lay a cue from the side pocket to the middle diamond on the same end rail, you are forming an angle of 30°. When you lay a cue from the side pocket to the first diamond on the same end rail, you are forming an angle of 15°
I could be wrong, but pretty sure that's not true.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand about 90% of CTE and Pro One methods after watching countless hours of videos and trying to understand the nuances among all the filler. When I started to feel like I had a decent enough grasp on it, I emailed Stan to let him know my findings, and ways I think it would be easier for him to teach..he didn't seem to understand what I was saying and mistakenly took it as negative. Anyway, if I had a decent video recording setup, I could honestly explain the whole CTE Pro One for the majority of people to comprehend it in less than 15 minutes easy (no joke).

For the first half of this year, I tried out the methods and dedicated myself to aim this way each time. Don't remember how long it took, but certain things started to click as I kept working on it. Sometimes this aiming didn't seem that accurate to me, while in other areas (especially banking), I have improved tremendously because of what I learned from the above system and am so comfortable executing them.

However, my game has really developed and made decent strides over the last several months. I currently don't use CTE/Pro One consciously while aiming (unless banking, then I keep in mind and apply as needed); instead, I use the 'contact point-parallel method' (shown below in link) or a 90/90 visual for majority of shots that includes a half-tip sweep because I'm so used to doing it to align correctly.
https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/aiming/contact-point/

CTE/Pro One is really meant for two things: (1) help get player standing and aligned in correct position while getting down on the shot, and (2) potting balls in the direct center of each pocket. The issue is that sometimes you want to cheat a pocket or whatever, this is where I find contact point-parallel aiming to be much more efficient to learn...not to mention it is much easier to learn in my opinion.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...When you lay a cue from the side pocket to the middle diamond on the same end rail, you are forming an angle of 30°. When you lay a cue from the side pocket to the first diamond on the same end rail, you are forming an angle of 15°

At first I thought he was off, but then I re-read and it seems correct to me.

*Standing at side pocket and looking at the Right Upper side of the table only*
1) cue line always originating from side pocket to upper right corner is 45 degrees
2) from here, pivot cue one diamond (move tip to the left)...this is a 15 degree shot
3) from there, pivot cue one more diamond to the left (middle diamond), should be the
30 degree angle

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am confused
I have trouble seeing how this could be possible
If anyone in Dallas knows how to do this I would love to see it

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hal was a treasure!

Hal was nothing short of a pool treasure. With first hand knowledge of the people from the golden age he could speak with authority about any of them. You could almost hear many spinning in their graves as he talked. He was more than willing to dish the dirt on one and all! He was annoyed about something on AZB and had an unusual case of lockjaw about aiming systems the first time I called him. I think the call lasted about three hours anyway. I mostly sat back and listened.

When he was in the mood to talk about aiming systems it was necessary to twist yourself into his viewpoint to make much sense of many of them. Far from a one trick pony with CTE, Hal could roll out a new aiming system every day of the week, maybe every day of the month. He claimed that with one system you always aimed at the same point on the ball. Well hell, when I think about it, that is exactly what I do!

We have one or two treasures left on here. They prefer a low profile and I see no reason to out them. One day in the not too distant future we will look up and the last person from the golden age of pool will be gone. I wonder if most will even notice?

Hu

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Perhaps I just don't understand it; but is he saying that regardless of the position of the balls on the table, that there are only these 6 discrete aiming points necessary to put the object ball in a pocket? On its face that is contradictory to simple geometry. How can it be?
AzB's "Aiming Conversation" subforum was created to give pool philosophers a place to contemplate that conundrum in peace, far from the distractions of the main forum.

pj
chgo

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You are correct, it's not true.

The angles for a right triangle whose sides are 50" and 25" (2:1) are 26.565º and 63.435º.

The angles for a right triangle whose sides are 50" and 12.5" (4:1) are 14.036º and 75.964º.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hal was nothing short of a pool treasure. With first hand knowledge of the people from the golden age he could speak with authority about any of them.

I see it differently. He was not so consistent with his grandiose stories, and they had an "appeal to authority" tone. I found those stories not so credible.

On aiming issue, he said lots of things that were just ridiculously wrong. He was a student of the game, though. So he sort of had this mixture of an occasional interesting thing to say surrounded by lots of garbage and obfuscation.

I listened to him teach students all afternoon one day at Danny K's in Anaheim. Only 3-angles... Hide the pocket... all that kind of stuff. It was fascinating. What I found really amazing was the students. I really had no idea people could be so strongly emotionally connected to ideas plainly disconnected from reality. And once that bond/connection was formed, reality seemed powerless to get in the way.

A few years later I talked to him about this and other aiming issues at Family Billiards in San Francisco.

And I talked to him on the phone more than once as well, about aiming and squirt/deflection, etc. It was generally pretty frustrating.

I liked him, though.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
When you lay a cue from the side pocket to the middle diamond on the same end rail, you are forming an angle of 30°. When you lay a cue from the side pocket to the first diamond on the same end rail, you are forming an angle of 15°.

Hal Houle

Close enough for show biz.

pj
chgo

angles.jpg

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I found really amazing was the students. I really had no idea people could be so strongly emotionally connected to ideas plainly disconnected from reality. And once that bond/connection was formed, reality seemed powerless to get in the way.

Hi Mike. There's a word for that, but I've been banned before, in part, for daring to call it out.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
goes with pool instruction!

I see it differently. He was not so consistent with his grandiose stories, and they had an "appeal to authority" tone. I found those stories not so credible.

On aiming issue, he said lots of things that were just ridiculously wrong. He was a student of the game, though. So he sort of had this mixture of an occasional interesting thing to say surrounded by lots of garbage and obfuscation.

I listened to him teach students all afternoon one day at Danny K's in Anaheim. Only 3-angles... Hide the pocket... all that kind of stuff. It was fascinating. What I found really amazing was the students. I really had no idea people could be so strongly emotionally connected to ideas plainly disconnected from reality. And once that bond/connection was formed, reality seemed powerless to get in the way.

A few years later I talked to him about this and other aiming issues at Family Billiards in San Francisco.

And I talked to him on the phone more than once as well, about aiming and squirt/deflection, etc. It was generally pretty frustrating.

I liked him, though.

Mike,

I have watched current instructors peddle their share of hokum wrapped in a couple pleasant smelling platitudes too. I always considered Hal's stories just that, one man's stories and point of view. Nice to have a variety of viewpoints but these days we are getting down to very few. I had a ball listening to Hal for hours a few times but I didn't give it any more weight than I would give to somebody I didn't know well at a pool hall or some form of competition.

People are entertaining, I don't expect them to be 100% honest too. I had a customer at my business one morning telling me somebody else was a damned crook and he wasn't going to trade with him anymore! Well the "damned crook" was a friend of mine and I was sitting at his kitchen table laughing about the customer when I heard the same man outside that afternoon saying Hu was a damned crook and he was never going to trade with me again! I could only hope. He was one of those customers that was annoying enough that you would like to slide him gently off to somebody else. Of course a few weeks later he was back at my place. So much for that faint hope.

I almost understood CTE awhile back, found a decent video on youtube. Forgot about it again and I don't pay much attention to any aiming systems. I figured out what worked for me about fifty years ago.

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Mike,

I have watched current instructors peddle their share of hokum wrapped in a couple pleasant smelling platitudes too. I always considered Hal's stories just that, one man's stories and point of view. Nice to have a variety of viewpoints but these days we are getting down to very few. I had a ball listening to Hal for hours a few times but I didn't give it any more weight than I would give to somebody I didn't know well at a pool hall or some form of competition.

People are entertaining, I don't expect them to be 100% honest too. I had a customer at my business one morning telling me somebody else was a damned crook and he wasn't going to trade with him anymore! Well the "damned crook" was a friend of mine and I was sitting at his kitchen table laughing about the customer when I heard the same man outside that afternoon saying Hu was a damned crook and he was never going to trade with me again! I could only hope. He was one of those customers that was annoying enough that you would like to slide him gently off to somebody else. Of course a few weeks later he was back at my place. So much for that faint hope.

I almost understood CTE awhile back, found a decent video on youtube. Forgot about it again and I don't pay much attention to any aiming systems. I figured out what worked for me about fifty years ago.

Hu

Ya know, Hu....I’ve had some serious thoughts about aiming.....for years on AZ.....
...but I’ve never known where to post them...’cause those threads turn into a war zone.

Maybe I should try an AZ blog.
I’ve heard some useful things on the subject.....but unrealistic handling of it...
...some make what could be a useful tool their master...like a carpenter worshiping their
hammer.
...my life might be easier if I just shut up.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hal above all was a gentleman and a learned man about this sport we play. I knew him in the late 80's and early 90's when he still lived in So. Calif. There were more than a few people who benefited from his knowledge and systems at both Hard Times & Yankee Doodles. He would often times come to Yankee Doodles to watch the Sat Tournament and one Sat he spent a couple of hours with me and another guy and during this time he told me about CTE not naming it as that but only saying he had a system he would be introducing in a few years. He helped me and Casey tremendously. I watched him also work with people at Hard Times and one thing always struck me. That was for all of the time and information he freely gave he never asked anyone for a dime.

Every Summer he headed across country and down the Eastern Seaboard until finally the ailment he had with his legs made that travel no longer possible. He could talk about pool for days on end and did that for the remainder of his life. Many people benefited from him and from CTE. Many of those don't post here anymore because of the negativity but I think most still use Hal's teachings. When teaching me he had me slightly adjust my alignment but it was otherwise what Tate posted.

Thanks Tate. Our game could use more people of Hal's caliber.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know you've been doing very well and that's great you're in a position to consider retirement at your relatively young age. If you google about people who un-retire, you'll see that it's not for everybody and it's often not due to finances. A lot of people go back to work in a year or two out of boredom and a desire to do gratifying work. Some make serious financial miscalculations and quickly realize they don't have the resources for their lifestyle.

Nothing about retirement excites me and everything about my business excites me. I need the stimulation of deal making, taking on exciting projects and making them successful. I like my business relationships as well. Most in our community and region are retired. Some have very active lives and those are the successful retirees in my opinion. They have a purpose and a goal. Some organize activity groups like golf, tennis, pickleball, art groups etc. I have two friends who have APA teams and another who leads golf tours.

For me I've owned my business for 35 years. If I make the leap to quit, there's no going back. Instead, I am altering my business to spend less of my personal time, but I will still be active. I only work a few hours a day now and I am really happy with it. The financial gains are just a bonus. Being mobile is huge. We put our business on the cloud and I just picked up and activated a 4G LTE laptop. I'm moving my files to a cloud server so I can easily and quickly access them from anywhere.

One thing for sure, after marriage and career, it is one of those really major decisions. I hope you recognize the privilege you have earned - many don't have that choice and it's highly personal one. I would say take your time, look deep within, shut out any of the outside influences or opinions you can, and make your own decision. We are often pushed and pulled by family and associates but this is your decision to make.

Sound advice. I’ve watched too many of my 90 year old father’s friends rapidly die after retiring. My father quit his last job at 81 years old. He scored an 80 on his golf course last week.

By the way, it was never about money. By 1990, he retired from the army and from the US Postal Service. My Mother retired from the civil service.

Don’t be in a rush to retire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know how Hal had so much time. I too spent many hours in many days talking to him on the phone. His passion for pool was the only thing stronger than his bold personality.

RIP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Chris,
Thanks for your opening post, I found it substantive and it brought back some great memories of Hal and his expertise.
I appreciate you taking the time to start the thread.
I trust all is going well for you in central California, and you are enjoying the golf.
Be well.

Will Prout

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hal called me one day out of the blue back in the late 90's.

You have to understand this was back in the day of land lines, 411, and telephone directories and if you were listed anyone could get your phone number. Anyways, CTE had been a point of discussion on RSB and Hal calls me one afternoon and starts off with, "Lou, this is Hal Houle. Are you near a pool table? " And I tell him no but he launches into a detailed description of his CTE aiming system anyway. I listen and tell him his system makes absolutely no sense and he circles and takes a second swing at explaining it. I tell him again that it makes no sense and try and explain why. After about 20 minutes we say our fair thee wells.

Hal seemed like a nice, passionate guy. But his system was pretty bogus.

Lou Figueroa

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Hal called me one day out of the blue back in the late 90's.

You have to understand this was back in the day of land lines, 411, and telephone directories and if you were listed anyone could get your phone number. Anyways, CTE had been a point of discussion on RSB and Hal calls me one afternoon and starts off with, "Lou, this is Hal Houle. Are you near a pool table? " And I tell him no but he launches into a detailed description of his CTE aiming system anyway. I listen and tell him his system makes absolutely no sense and he circles and takes a second swing at explaining it. I tell him again that it makes no sense and try and explain why. After about 20 minutes we say our fair thee wells.

Hal seemed like a nice, passionate guy. But his system was pretty bogus.

Lou Figueroa

He was truly an enigma. I like the "passionate guy" statement. It got me thinking, isn't it amazing that somebody would go to all that trouble without a financial angle?

Hal was on a one man mission to spread his ideas, but why? I think, ultimately, the answer was he wanted to help pool players play better. He got accolades from a few, but took a lot of heat too - sometimes to his face but especially in the discussions. I have to admire him for having the courage to do this.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Hal above all was a gentleman and a learned man about this sport we play. I knew him in the late 80's and early 90's when he still lived in So. Calif. There were more than a few people who benefited from his knowledge and systems at both Hard Times & Yankee Doodles. He would often times come to Yankee Doodles to watch the Sat Tournament and one Sat he spent a couple of hours with me and another guy and during this time he told me about CTE not naming it as that but only saying he had a system he would be introducing in a few years. He helped me and Casey tremendously. I watched him also work with people at Hard Times and one thing always struck me. That was for all of the time and information he freely gave he never asked anyone for a dime.

Every Summer he headed across country and down the Eastern Seaboard until finally the ailment he had with his legs made that travel no longer possible. He could talk about pool for days on end and did that for the remainder of his life. Many people benefited from him and from CTE. Many of those don't post here anymore because of the negativity but I think most still use Hal's teachings. When teaching me he had me slightly adjust my alignment but it was otherwise what Tate posted.

Thanks Tate. Our game could use more people of Hal's caliber.

That's a great post Gary. There is a lot we didn't know about Hal.