Can a case cause a shaft to warp?

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Today a friend of mine checked two shafts of mine and said they are not straight, to me I'm not very picky and I told him that's nothing and to me I consider them straight, however he says that they are warping a little bit, like a very small wabble, I do agree but he is very picky, then he proceeded to tell that he also used an old shaft of mine and it was warping the same way and he indicated that it might be my case that are causing this.

Now I got a little concern because if my case is causing this to happen then every shaft that I will own eventually will be warped the same and I don't want that, how do I check or test to make sure that what my friend said is correct.

Where do you live and how long have they been sitting in the case? Soft case or hard case?

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know it’s brand, I bought it fifteen years ago, I’ll post pics of it once I go to my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where do you live and how long have they been sitting in the case? Soft case or hard case?

I live in Kuwait, they sit in the case for a very long time because I quit playing for long periods depending on life stuff, example sometimes I quit for two years intervals with months of coming back to the game, then quit again another 1 or 2 years... etc

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
My friend left his Meucci on the front seat of his car for a second to talk to someone in the pool hall and when he came out his window was smashed and someone had left another Meucci.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.:grin-devilish:

I had to read this one twice to understand. Thats some funny $hit right there!!!!!:rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5770ca516e4758539741417003d27925.jpg
adbaa9ce48138bd9de839b3c8d13a234.jpg
38d7caf38dd4be60ec177c4f90759867.jpg

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I left my cue case in the car during the summer and here it reaches more than 130 F, here it reaches 60C degrees, which is equal to 140F degrees, and the Mezz shafts are still straight, amazing for mezz companies, but now I switched gears to Meucci, I wonder if they can withstand the same as Mezz in terms of heat exposure.

If a cue and case is left in a car during a hot summer....
..get used to buying more cues and cases...:rolleyes:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I live in Kuwait, they sit in the case for a very long time because I quit playing for long periods depending on life stuff, example sometimes I quit for two years intervals with months of coming back to the game, then quit again another 1 or 2 years... etc

There's your answer.
Get a humidifier and store your case in the closet with the humidifier.
Keep humidity at 40%-50%.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
warping and cold steel

.008" warp is easily visible to the naked eye. Especially if it is in the middle of something and the end is another fifteen inches away. Roll that cue!

The truth is we expect truly ridiculous tolerances in our pool cues. Supporting it at the buttcap and joint and watching or measuring the tip movement for example and expecting zero runout.

With all of the exotic woods used in butts I suspect the standard listings for wood expansion aren't too accurate. Doesn't really matter.

Steel is still considered cold at 600f when you are working it, I wouldn't advise putting cold steel in a case or trying to handle it with bare hands.

None of the above really matters. What may matter is that the tops of some of my shafts jam tight in my tube style case. Could certainly put pressure on the shaft, a lot of pressure. I presume the tip never touches. My main playing shaft warps a gnat's ass in the summer, straigtens every winter. Doesn't affect play in any way. "gnat's ass" is a scientific unit of measure put if you don't already know what it is, chances are your pay grade doesn't justify knowing.

Hu

JC

Coos Cues
Those are rough measurements, based on "wood".

Pool cues are not just "wood". So using the engineering website to give measurements on something that is composed of various types of wood, various types of finishes, various types of glues, A-joint construction methods, etc etc etc.....

Probably isnt the most accurate way to give measurements such as...

I used to be a machinist, and the use of materials expanding or contracting depending on their temperature is sound, useful for several things not the least accurate measurement. Ever handle gage blocks and expect a certain level of accuracy?

My point is giving definitive measurements about how much a pool cue expands or contracts based off of generalized data for "wood" is not accurate.

Um Chuck,

The discussion was about shafts, not cues. Last I checked they were indeed comprised of mostly wood.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
5770ca516e4758539741417003d27925.jpg
adbaa9ce48138bd9de839b3c8d13a234.jpg
38d7caf38dd4be60ec177c4f90759867.jpg

I think it is your case. It seems that it has bent your fender too:p

Just kidding, its not unusual for a shaft to warp in the heat. Some folks get away with it but I have seen a lot of wood warped by heat.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Um Chuck,

The discussion was about shafts, not cues. Last I checked they were indeed comprised of mostly wood.

If you bother to read what I replied to, the conversation had drifted into cues in general.

So, Um John,

Pay attention. :thumbup: