What top cue makers do all their own work?

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ed Prewitt works alone. So does Dave Barenbrugge. Mike Bender and his wife Tracy work together without any extra help. Pete Ohman (Omen) works alone.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I imagine most top shelf
cue-makers with the exception that ivory scrimshaw artwork might be completed by some 3rd party.

I thought the same, but I see people saying if you are buying a black boar, buy a 6 pointer because Tony made them.

Recently I saw a post where HawaiianEye mentioned a conversation he had with Richard Black, from my understanding, if you order a cue under 5grand, Richard doesn't build it himself, actually sounded like it was built in a totally different shop.

Don't know if Sly & Diveney are considered top-shelf cue makers, but we know what Harris said regarding them.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the same, but I see people saying if you are buying a black boar, buy a 6 pointer because Tony made them.

Recently I saw a post where HawaiianEye mentioned a conversation he had with Richard Black, from my understanding, if you order a cue under 5grand, Richard doesn't build it himself, actually sounded like it was built in a totally different shop.

Don't know if Sly & Diveney are considered top-shelf cue makers, but we know what Harris said regarding them.

I have known Richard Black since 1977 or 78. He has told me that I've called him from more locations in the world than anybody on the planet.

When I talked to him, about a year ago, and asked about "HIM" making me a new shaft for one of my cues, he told me, "I don't make them anymore. XXX does. I don't TOUCH anything less than $5,000."

XXX (can't remember the name) was using his old shop at Richard's old location. From the way I understood, XXX did EVERYTHING and Richard didn't provide any sort of quality control. I gathered that XXX built the stuff and then shipped it out on its own and it was considered to be a "Richard Black" product.

If anybody else knows something different, please post it.

I got this DIRECTLY from Richard.

I didn't ask him how long this had been going on.

I didn't care, since I didn't own anything by XXX and they wouldn't ship me a shaft with an ivory ferrule to Hawaii anyway.

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was wondering which top cue makers do everything themselves (other than the making of full splice blanks), no apprentices or helpers?
Which top cue makers actually do their own full splice work as well?

Thanks

Bob Dzuricky, and Kelly Peterson, are two that come to mind. :cool:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ed Prewitt works alone. So does Dave Barenbrugge. Mike Bender and his wife Tracy work together without any extra help. Pete Ohman (Omen) works alone.

Mike Webb as well.

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sure a lot of cue makers do there own work. I believe Schick and Bender even make their own joint pins. What I’d like to know Is what cue builders tread the parts of their cues vs press fit. At one time I know Bender did and I’d guess he still does but haven’t asked him in awhile.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I am sure a lot of cue makers do there own work. I believe Schick and Bender even make their own joint pins. What I’d like to know Is what cue builders tread the parts of their cues vs press fit. At one time I know Bender did and I’d guess he still does but haven’t asked him in awhile.
Thread , you mean.
I thread ferrules, joint collars, inserts and butt plates.
Many cue makers do.
Many press fit too. Some press fit joint screws.

chasrwest

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the same information that Richard Black gave me last year when I inquired about a new shaft for my cue. He cage me the contact information, but I went a different direction. If Mr Black didn't make it, I am not paying the premium price for his name.

I have known Richard Black since 1977 or 78. He has told me that I've called him from more locations in the world than anybody on the planet.

When I talked to him, about a year ago, and asked about "HIM" making me a new shaft for one of my cues, he told me, "I don't make them anymore. XXX does. I don't TOUCH anything less than $5,000."

XXX (can't remember the name) was using his old shop at Richard's old location. From the way I understood, XXX did EVERYTHING and Richard didn't provide any sort of quality control. I gathered that XXX built the stuff and then shipped it out on its own and it was considered to be a "Richard Black" product.

If anybody else knows something different, please post it.

I got this DIRECTLY from Richard.

I didn't ask him how long this had been going on.

I didn't care, since I didn't own anything by XXX and they wouldn't ship me a shaft with an ivory ferrule to Hawaii anyway.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Mr Black didn't make it, I am not paying the premium price for his name.

That's how I personally feel as well, although I wonder how many people feel the same as us?

Black Boar 4 pointers seem to be in high demand, Richard Black cues under 5grand and Tim Scruggs sneakies as well. I was truly astonished by the amount folks that defended Sly, Diveney or Potter saying it was similar to Frey and Scruggs, although I am not that familiar with Scruggs and Frey's relationship and how that was represented to people purchasing cues from them at the time.

I will say props to Black for disclosing this information to potential buyers, good on him.

Last edited:

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering which top cue makers do everything themselves (other than the making of full splice blanks), no apprentices or helpers?
Which top cue makers actually do their own full splice work as well?

Thanks
Pechauer, although not a custom cue maker, does every single thing in house. Read their story on-line. The bought their own timberland acreage, select their own trees, mill them in their own lumber facility, built a metal shop so they could make their own screws and joints, etc. Amazing company and they will make a custom cue to order. Check out their web site.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's how I personally feel as well, although I wonder how many people feel the same as us?

Black Boar 4 pointers

The first BB's were made in Jackson, TN by Bill McDaniel

I was in Schick's bar/ shop 20 years ago and he had someone running the lathes and building cues.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Does work include designing the inlays and creating the codes for them ?
Skins here does design or did designs for several makers.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does work include designing the inlays and creating the codes for them ?
Skins here does design or did designs for several makers.

That is an excellent quesrion and not something I had considered. My knee jerk response is yes, or at least having the knowledge to do so.
Not being a cuemaker of any sorts, my perspective may differ from yours.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on that. Thanks Joey

Last edited: