Question for the 14.1 guys

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rules question:

Is it a foul to lay your cue on the table and remove your hand from it without having declared a break?

Dave Nelson

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
It was recently recommended to me to practice "14.1 rerack" on a regular basis. What is that? I've never heard that term. Is it just 14.1 continuous but playing for a high run, or is it resetting the break ball and cue ball after each rack?

If I heard that I'd just assume they meant to say continuous. It could be a variant, but I've never heard that.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was recently recommended to me to practice "14.1 rerack" on a regular basis. What is that? I've never heard that term. Is it just 14.1 continuous but playing for a high run, or is it resetting the break ball and cue ball after each rack?

That's not a term I've ever heard used. "Rerack" so far as I know only applies to situations in matches where the rack is started over.

I would guess that the person who said is meant something like, "start a new rack when you miss," but you need to ask him.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rules question:

Is it a foul to lay your cue on the table and remove your hand from it without having declared a break?

Dave Nelson
There is a rule in some rule sets that forbids letting go of your cue stick while aiming a shot (for example, putting your cue stick down along a banking line and walking to the other end of the table to see the shot from the banking cushion).

If you're not in the act of aiming and it is your turn at the table there is no rule that forbids placing your cue stick on the table. There are situations where it is the right thing to do.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The laying of the stick...

...is not recommended in tournament straight pool. The referee may call a foul simply because it is not always clear why the player has placed his cuestick directly on the table and removed his hand. Why take the chance?
Rodney Morris had exactly this type of foul called on him by Michaela Tabb, a well-respected international referee. I have been a refereee in several World 14.1 Tournaments and have never had to make that call, but I would, if the situation presented itself. The cuestick is an aiming device but by laying it down it becomes a "marker" of sorts. On the other hand, I was a referee in a straight pool match years ago between Nick Varner and Mike Sigel. Varner called for the mechanical bridge. I handed it to him and he laid it down in line with his shot and then walked around the table. I didn't call a foul but I heard Sigel mutter something under his breath.
Anyway, if it's not a foul in all the rule books, it should be, in my personal opinion.