Mosconi Cup....why not up the ante?

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Why not play the Mosconi Cup on a 5x10? This is a special tournament that should bring out the best in each team.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not play the Mosconi Cup on a 5x10? This is a special tournament that should bring out the best in each team.

Why not play on 7 footers for real action? Playing on 5x10s would slow down the game too much.

Or make the pockets 4" to bring out the best?

I don't like your idea. 9 ball was made for 4.5 x 9s.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mosconi Cup is a TV tournament. They can't slow it down; otherwise, they'd have to edit the crap out of it, unfortunately.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

I like your idea of upping the ante but I don't know if playing on a bigger table is a good idea, the players on their side of the pond play plenty on really big tables so I wonder if they don't have a easier time adjusting to a smaller table then our boys to adjusting to a bigger one.

ccn7

Ole Pool Fool
Silver Member

I like that idea and just to add to it. Why not drop the 9 ball, and play 14.1 as long as we are making a wish list. I think 5x10 14.1 would bring out the best. Mosconi Cup and 9 ball just dont fit together right.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Let's play it on a russian billiards table where the pockets are so tight a regular pool ball won't fit! You have to jump balls into the back of the pocket!!!!

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do people keep looking for change in the sport. If you want to make it better and have people watch, switch to snooker! Having a challenger from north america again would be great for the snooker and gain new sponsors. The Mosconi Cup, however, is 9 ball on a 4 1/1 by 9. You don't hear golfers trying to get the Davis Cup switched to mini putt or all par 5's, 6's etc...

Only thing I want or try to change is my skill level. This will up the ante for me.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mosconi Cup, however, is 9 ball on a 4 1/1 by 9. You don't hear golfers trying to get the Davis Cup switched to mini putt or all par 5's, 6's etc...

Many of the great old golf courses have added 8-10% to their yardage inorder to cope with the Tiger Woods effect.

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
Why do people keep looking for change in the sport. If you want to make it better and have people watch, switch to snooker! Having a challenger from north america again would be great for the snooker and gain new sponsors. The Mosconi Cup, however, is 9 ball on a 4 1/1 by 9. You don't hear golfers trying to get the Davis Cup switched to mini putt or all par 5's, 6's etc...

Only thing I want or try to change is my skill level. This will up the ante for me.

only thing is playing on a ten foot table isn't a gimicky change - it's what the game arguably should be played on by default anyway.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't hear golfers trying to get the Davis Cup switched to mini putt or all par 5's, 6's etc....

Davis Cup is tennis. Ryder Cup is golf.

In both of those events, the home team gets to influence the playing arena. In tennis, the home team picks the court surface. In the Ryder Cup, the home team picks the golf course, and just as importantly, the course setup.

Why not let the home team determine the pocket size (within reasonable stipulated limits, of course), the cloth type and color, etc?

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Davis Cup is tennis. Ryder Cup is golf.

In both of those events, the home team gets to influence the playing arena. In tennis, the home team picks the court surface. In the Ryder Cup, the home team picks the golf course, and just as importantly, the course setup.

Why not let the home team determine the pocket size (within reasonable stipulated limits, of course), the cloth type and color, etc?

Davis cup on the brain... I was watching Nadal match on youtube at the time...

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
The game doesn't necessarily have to be about who can shoot straighter when all of the shots are a little further away. If you want to separate the men from the boys in terms of accuracy, you just keep tightening the pockets. The straighter shooter wins and you don't need to pay for or make room for Big Bertha. And there's something to be said for who plays smarter, not just who rifles balls in closest to the heart of the pocket.

Anyway why make a massive change that many (most?) pros have never dealt with before? If 90%-95% of the field hasn't touched a 10 footer before, does it really make sense to force them to shoot under such totally strange conditions?

Trust me, the ass-puckering effect of the pressure and crowds is more than enough to make someone miss a ball. We do NOT need to add an extra foot to encourage more misses. And I don't think the added difficulty will change the outcome of the games much. The guy who is playing best and focusing the most will win.

Honestly, how many times have you watched a match and said "man, he totally would have missed that ball if only there were an extra foot of table. He didn't deserve to make that shot and win. We need to change the equipment so guys like him can't get away with shots like that"?

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tables

Don't know about the 5x10 switch but I think that a switch to Diamonds would make it more interesting brunswick has had this locked up for awhile.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Russian pyramid balls are larger than their pool counterparts

Let's play it on a russian billiards table where the pockets are so tight a regular pool ball won't fit! You have to jump balls into the back of the pocket!!!!

Not that it matters (in relation to the spirit of this thread), but the above posted info is incorrect. Russian Pyramid balls are significantly larger than their pool counterparts.

See this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_pyramid

But I would agree -- Russian Pyramid is extremely more difficult to pot/pocket balls than on a pool table because of the tight ball/pocket clearances, not to mention the competition models are 12-foot tables!

-Sean