how are ya'll doing in league ?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I forgot to mention in the above thread. Last night I was approached by 2 different captains about playing for them in the upcoming usapl regional championship tournament being held in Nashville the 1st of December. I told both to give me a few days to think about it. Truth is i would love to go but can't afford it. A team mate who was standing near me and overheard both conversations said.....dang they both want you to go. I replied yea......maybe i will go with the highest bidder for my services and we both laughed.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I forgot to mention in the above thread. Last night I was approached by 2 different captains about playing for them in the upcoming usapl regional championship tournament being held in Nashville the 1st of December. I told both to give me a few days to think about it. Truth is i would love to go but can't afford it. A team mate who was standing near me and overheard both conversations said.....dang they both want you to go. I replied yea......maybe i will go with the highest bidder for my services and we both laughed.

Auctioning off Lorider!!! You heard it here first.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well my APA team continues to improve. We beat the top ranked team in our division 8-5...and we had to forfeit a match. Their captain chose to take the 2 points for a forfeit vs. letting one of their fives play one of our 3's...seemed kind of a weak move, but hey, he's gotta do whats best for his team.

On a personal note, I played like crap against a 5 and got smoked 4-0 for the first time this session. Wow. He didn't run me off the table, every game was back and forth and the match ended up going 30+ innings. I am really disappointed that I could't get a single point for the team...

Anyway, I think I made a judgement error. See, I have Astigmatism in my left eye, and I have glasses that correct it. I hardly ever wear them, maybe a handful of days each year, but this weekend I was shooting balls and the edges seemed really fuzzy. I put on my glasses and wow, the difference in clarity. So, I decided to play my match wearing glasses, which I have NEVER shot pool in them. True, I could see the balls much clearer, but I missed simple cuts and shots that I never miss. Don't know if my brain had been subconsciously compensating for the astigmatism or what, but even though I could see the balls better, I felt my aim was off...

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Auctioning off Lorider!!! You heard it here first.

Thanks for the laugh coop. :wink:

I went back and read your last post. Great shooting my friend. Hope you reach your goal of being a 7.

I also did not mention that our usapl lo is holding a singles tournament this month. Maybe I can win it and apply the winnings to the trip to Nashville.

I think missing usapl for 2 weeks lit a fire in me last night. Really luvin this league. Plus no headaches of being a captain. We were short last night but it did not phase me at all since I am not the captain.....all I gotta worry about is my game.

Told a friend last night who is also an apa captain that I was folding my Sunday team. He has a Sunday team also in th same division. He wants me to join an 8 ball team he is putting together for Wednesday starting next session.

Mulling it over. Drop Sunday double jeopardy and play apa 8 on Wednesday and 9 on Thursday might be the way to go. Gotta talk to my lo and see id I am still gonna be eligible for 8 ball regionals in nashville next march that I qualified for if I drop 8 ball due to quitting double jeapordy and just play 9 ball on Thursday. If I lose eligibility I may need to join an 8 ball team next session

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is the championship at J.O.B?

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the laugh coop. :wink:

I went back and read your last post. Great shooting my friend. Hope you reach your goal of being a 7.

I also did not mention that our usapl lo is holding a singles tournament this month. Maybe I can win it and apply the winnings to the trip to Nashville.

I think missing usapl for 2 weeks lit a fire in me last night. Really luvin this league. Plus no headaches of being a captain. We were short last night but it did not phase me at all since I am not the captain.....all I gotta worry about is my game.

Told a friend last night who is also an apa captain that I was folding my Sunday team. He has a Sunday team also in th same division. He wants me to join an 8 ball team he is putting together for Wednesday starting next session.

Mulling it over. Drop Sunday double jeopardy and play apa 8 on Wednesday and 9 on Thursday might be the way to go. Gotta talk to my lo and see id I am still gonna be eligible for 8 ball regionals in nashville next march that I qualified for if I drop 8 ball due to quitting double jeapordy and just play 9 ball on Thursday. If I lose eligibility I may need to join an 8 ball team next session

I was right.. My ranking did go up to a 7. I'm a little scared playing as a 7. Ohhh and I got to make a life long dream come true tomorrow night. I get to play 9 ball doubles with Johnny Archer. I am really excited!!!

I'll let you know how I do. :)

You play a lot of pool my friend. Let us know what you decide to do.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was right.. My ranking did go up to a 7. I'm a little scared playing as a 7. Ohhh and I got to make a life long dream come true tomorrow night. I get to play 9 ball doubles with Johnny Archer. I am really excited!!!

I'll let you know how I do. :)

You play a lot of pool my friend. Let us know what you decide to do.

Congrats coop. Yea let us know how you do .

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played well this week, lost 8 ball, wasn't happy about it...but was a good match. Started my 9 ball with a break and run, a 9 ball on the break, then another break and run, finished it out at 6-1...pretty good night all said and done. Being a 6 in 8/9 is a little tough when the team you are playing has all lower ranked players, I had to play 5-2 in 8 and 6-3 in 9...alot of weight to give in 8 for sure.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played well this week, lost 8 ball, wasn't happy about it...but was a good match. Started my 9 ball with a break and run, a 9 ball on the break, then another break and run, finished it out at 6-1...pretty good night all said and done. Being a 6 in 8/9 is a little tough when the team you are playing has all lower ranked players, I had to play 5-2 in 8 and 6-3 in 9...alot of weight to give in 8 for sure.

Nice shooting. Those are long races....is this Napa league ?

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Playing Napa 9 ball singles, won first two matches. Should have lost first week, playing a 7-5 race. I was at 5, guy I'm playing is on hill at 4 games. Plays a jump shot, makes 9, but it is a call 9 league. We had already talked about calling it because he wasn't. He didn't call it, and I didn't let it slide since I had already reminded him of it.

Starting on a laggers choice team tonight.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's impressive. Great Job in 9 ball

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Standings

So far I am holding onto first place in the individual Dallas BCA Masters Division of 9-Ball season... With three matches to go, hopefully I can hold on. The Team I play on is also in first with a 13-2 record. The second place team has a 10-5 record. We have to play them one more time of our three matches remaining.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Starting up a small amateur Carom league/club in Houston, if in the area and interested to learn Carom billiards pm me

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TAP league.

Oh ...ok..I played tap for one session before it folded due to a few teams dropping out. Forgot that it has long races also depending on handicap. I enjoyed my time in it. Shame it folded but the lo is trying to regroup.

Usapl started up recently and I play it also along with apa. The lo is trying to start another division on Saturdays but I told him no way when he asked me to play it also.

I have been trying to cut back from 4 nights a week...definitely dont need to add another night lol

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh ...ok..I played tap for one session before it folded due to a few teams dropping out. Forgot that it has long races also depending on handicap. I enjoyed my time in it. Shame it folded but the lo is trying to regroup.

Usapl started up recently and I play it also along with apa. The lo is trying to start another division on Saturdays but I told him no way when he asked me to play it also.

I have been trying to cut back from 4 nights a week...definitely dont need to add another night lol

One night is enough for me, if I am going to play multiple nights I might do an occasional tournament. I honestly think that League play is holding me back as far as becoming a better player...Really the competition is limited, we have maybe 5 or 6 6/7's and you might get to play two a session, otherwise you end up playing lesser players, and for me, my game suffers because I do not take them seriously.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One night is enough for me, if I am going to play multiple nights I might do an occasional tournament. I honestly think that League play is holding me back as far as becoming a better player...Really the competition is limited, we have maybe 5 or 6 6/7's and you might get to play two a session, otherwise you end up playing lesser players, and for me, my game suffers because I do not take them seriously.

I kinda agree with you . I think league helps new players to improve but once you get to a certain level your game kinda plateaus.

I enjoy tournaments to an extent. Being 63 and sitting around in a pool hall for hours between matches kinda wears me out sometimes though.

Also tournaments are kinda limited around here. Some bar tournaments that a few pretty serious non league players come snap off most weekends. A couple tournaments a year that are handicapped with some pretty sporty players from all around the region come play in. The problem with those are the handicapping.

Due to trying to shorten races the handicaps are low. No problem there and kinda agree with it. A few examples are. Guys I know that are apa 7/8 are rated a 3. Apa 7/9 are a 4. And it goes up to a shortstop would be a 7. My problem in those tournaments is being an apa 5/5 and being rated a 3 the same as apa 7/8's

But then again I can't really complain about that after losing hill-hill to a 5 in the last tournament I played in . It just dont sound right complaining about your handicap when you darn near beat an aa level player but it dint sound right a 5/5 being rated the same as a 7/8 either lol. But mostly my problem is it takes me 2 days to recuperate from a long weekend in a tournament.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kinda agree with you . I think league helps new players to improve but once you get to a certain level your game kinda plateaus.

I enjoy tournaments to an extent. Being 63 and sitting around in a pool hall for hours between matches kinda wears me out sometimes though.

Also tournaments are kinda limited around here. Some bar tournaments that a few pretty serious non league players come snap off most weekends. A couple tournaments a year that are handicapped with some pretty sporty players from all around the region come play in. The problem with those are the handicapping.

Due to trying to shorten races the handicaps are low. No problem there and kinda agree with it. A few examples are. Guys I know that are apa 7/8 are rated a 3. Apa 7/9 are a 4. And it goes up to a shortstop would be a 7. My problem in those tournaments is being an apa 5/5 and being rated a 3 the same as apa 7/8's

But then again I can't really complain about that after losing hill-hill to a 5 in the last tournament I played in . It just dont sound right complaining about your handicap when you darn near beat an aa level player but it dint sound right a 5/5 being rated the same as a 7/8 either lol. But mostly my problem is it takes me 2 days to recuperate from a long weekend in a tournament.

Those rankings are realistic in the real world. APA 5, as you are probably aware would be a 3/4 in TAP. When you have professionals enter a tournament the handicapping is basically based on the best player in the tournament...or expected best, now to an APA 6, you may be a solid 5, but to a professional player 3 is probably about correct.

I once played in a $10 Tuesday night tournament with Jeremy Jones, Sky Woodward and three other notable pros that were in Texas for the Texas State 10 ball, somehow they made it out to our little arena...a house player won that tournament (and I didn't do too horribly bad), but it is an example of what short races can do even to pros...you going to three is one way to get em.

It may be four racks before you even stand up against one of those guys. So even if you catch a gear, 3 is the best you are ever gonna get in that race...and way less manageable for the 7.

I can keep up on occasion with the bast players in my spot, but occasionally in a short set I can topple the giants...so you gotta look for that advantage.