Thoughts on TAR

IamMark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, yesterday I finally had a chance to purchase and watch a TAR ppv. It was fun for the most part, but I really don't see myself purchasing another match on a weeknight. Nothing to do with the quality, it was great. Except, it is during a weeknight where I love to watch NBA playoffs or MLB. I really just don't see myself turning down those games, which I watch for free (part of cable bill). Yesterday, I purchased the ppv just to see what it was like, and for the most part I was watching the NBA playoffs and switched over to TAR during commercials. I was just wondering if I was alone or whether more people fit in this case? I was thinking if the match was held during a weekend, it may get much more viewers. I know its tough enough organizing these events, and I may just be too picky.

Sam Waltz

My way...
Silver Member
It is tough.

Your right, it is hard when some of these events are scheduled during the work week. Guess what though...TAR has a another opportunity lined up for ya this weekend with Rodney Morris and Chris Bartram! Looks to be a great match with two high profile gamblers firin' 'em in for some substantial cash! I hope you give TAR another opportunity and purchase this match as I'm sure you'll enjoy the show!:thumbup:

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
also don't forget they'll be offering stuff on DVD so maybe just plan on buying a DVD if it looks like the timing of the live PPV isn't gonna work out for you.

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they would get less viewers on the wkend, especially during the summer months. People go out of town, on vacation, to cook outs, etc. The people that work tend to stay home during the week. Not everyone watches sports. A lof of folks either watch tv shows or hardly anything at all. With Tivo & DVR's in most homes now, some folks will do as I did and DVR their shows to watch at a later time. I understand that doesn't work with sports which is why I didn't offer you that suggestion.

From past threads on here and stuff in the streaming chat, the biggest problem people tend to have is the late hours on week nights. Matches like the one this week are difficult for people on the east coast to be able stay up & watch. People on the west coast tend to not get home until the matches are well under way.

Most cannot watch from work (I can't). One match that I wanted to see and wasn't able to due to the time that the matche was played was Bartrum vs. Moore. They started in the morning and played through the work day. If I remember correctly, Justin vowed to never agree to that again. I never heard the numbers but I'm going to guess that the ppv numbers were less than stellar.

Ultimately, you can't please everyone. Over all, TAR does a fantastic job and try to please everyone as best they can under the circumstances. Lastly, most of the pool players featured in these match ups don't have jobs outside of the playing pool. They're a nomadic group that tends to stay up late, sleep late, and really couldn't care less what day of the week it is when the right game presents itself. ;)

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
I live far, far away and bought it. The broadcast starts at 2 at night and end around 7-10 in the morning.

If you are a fan you have to do whatever you can to support the game :)

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
It all depends on what you want to do with your free time.

Me? I like watching Pool and can care less about regualr TV. For that matter, I don't have that much free time during the week and TAR is the only time I will sit for a few hours watching something on a weeknight.

(BTW, "free" on regular cable is still something you're paying for, lol)

Eric

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
If you got a call from a buddy that Dennis Hatch & Darren Appleton were down at your local poolhall playing a match for $40,000...would you hang up & keep watching your NBA game--or--would you make tracks for the car keys? I know what I would do!

The way I look at it is TAR brings a hell of a product that everyone *says* they want, but as soon as they pipe it directly into your home for a modest fee...people kinda get weird about it. It's on too late, its on during the week, its hard on my Mac, its spread over 3 days?, its not free?,...blah, blah, blah.

I understand your point Mark, you like pro basketball and baseball more than pro pool. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just glad you bought the ppv, it keeps TAR in action for a while longer. I hope "longer" is many, many years!

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CreeDo said:
also don't forget they'll be offering stuff on DVD so maybe just plan on buying a DVD if it looks like the timing of the live PPV isn't gonna work out for you.

Which is exactly how I make up for the matches that I can't view. The only down side is that TAR consists of only Chad & Justin which means poor Justin is behind & with each great match up that comes along, he just gets more & more behind. I wish I knew more about that stuff because I would volunteer my time to help him get caught up.

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
A little bird told me that they had Archer doing commentary on one of the days. thats always good to have a pro helping with commentary.

lady9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I could record the TAR broadcast and watch it when I wanted to, I would probably purchase at least 50% of their streams. If anyone knows a good way to do this, please fill me in.

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trouble is that would severely hurt sales of the DVD's...

what i would love to see is a delayed viewing time - ie: after you pay for it you can watch the match after you log in for say 1 week.

because even though i purchase most of the streams - the time difference means I can never watch hardly any of it!

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
If I could record the TAR broadcast and watch it when I wanted to, I would probably purchase at least 50% of their streams. If anyone knows a good way to do this, please fill me in.

It might take a lil longer for TAR to get the DVD out, but...typically the DVD sells for the same amount as the live PPV. A bonus is that it gets packaged and burned to a DVD, so you can add to your collection.

Eric

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lady9ball said:

DrOnePocket said:
bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me ask - Have you bought any of the DVD's?

The rights of the broadcast belong to TAR. Not to say that you would post the match on you tube for all to see for free, or burn copies and sell them, but I assure you that many people would do that.

If you could record the streams then they would never make any money from trying to sell the DVD's. The proceeds are split between TAR & both players. The players make more money off the TAR DVD's than they do off of accu stat matches. Allowing people to record the streams would literally be taking money out of their pockets.

DrOnePocket

Banned

The rights of the broadcast belong to TAR. Not to say that you would post the match on you tube for all to see for free, or burn copies and sell them, but I assure you that many people would do that.

If you could record the streams then they would never make any money from trying to sell the DVD's. The proceeds are split between TAR & both players. The players make more money off the TAR DVD's than they do off of accu stat matches. Allowing people to record the streams would literally be taking money out of their pockets.

You are not thinking about all of the money they are losing by not allowing us to record what we are already paying for. I know several ppl who won't buy any ppv's because of this

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DrOnePocket said:
You are not thinking about all of the money they are losing by not allowing us to record what we are already paying for. I know several ppl who won't buy any ppv's because of this

Do you boycott buying their DVD's also or have you bought any of their DVD's?

lady9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All very good points. I haven't bought any DVDs because I recall seeing posts that suggested that they don't get released for quite some time after the matches happen. But I think I'll take another look at this option, since you reminded me that the players benefit more that way.

I would still like to figure out how to record streams, though. :) Just for my own personal use, of course!

DrOnePocket

Banned
Do you boycott buying their DVD's also or have you bought any of their DVD's?

I would buy most of the ppv's if i was able to record them and watch them when I wanted, especially if they would have more 1 pocket matches. Every other kind of ppv in the world can be recorded and watched at the viewers convenience. TAR is only hurting themselves

I have no interest in the DVD's.

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
I have bought quite a few of their DVD's. I love them. As for the time it takes to get them out.. The Efren SVB was out within a month and you know what they say. If you haven't seen it, it is still new to you.

PS
The major movie companies usually take forever to put a film on DVD and I still but hundreds of DVD's. I guess it is all on how much you like to watch match ups.

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DrOnePocket said:
I would buy most of the ppv's if i was able to record them and watch them when I wanted, especially if they would have more 1 pocket matches. Every other kind of ppv in the world can be recorded and watched at the viewers convenience. TAR is only hurting themselves

I have no interest in the DVD's.

Let me get this straight - You want to record the ppv so that you can watch it at your leisure, correct? You can watch DVD's at your leisure so why do you have no interest in the DVD?

You want to record it yourself & can't, but there is an option to buy it from them & you won't.

If you record it yourself, you can burn it, and undersell them for your own profit before they're able to get the DVD on the market. If you have to wait & buy it from them, you lose that option. Hmmmm

Unless there's a rational explanation as to why it's better to DL it than watch the DVD, I'm left with the thought of possible theft. I am not saying you're a thief, I'm just saying your thought process leads most down that path of thinking.

I'm pretty sure the number of people that do buy the ppv and the DVD's far out number the boycotters like yourself. In the end, you lose because you're not allowing yourself to enjoy some phenomenal pool.