The George Fels Memorial Straight Pool Challenge

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
The Derby City Straight Pool Challenge is being renamed the George Fels Memorial Straight Pool Challenge in honor of George Fels who passed away on December 31, 2013. George brought the game to life whenever he wrote about it in his monthly Billiards Digest Column. He had seen all of the great ones play throughout the years and shared it with us in his own inimitable way. He was probably the first to give written instruction of the intricacies of straight pool in his many books. Many of you must remember his "Whenever Possibles" . Clear the rails, whenever possible. Open the pockets, whenever possible. In addition, he actively participated in the Straight Pool Leagues in Chicago. He played in the Red Shoes Leagues many years, and recently, when travel became difficult, he played in a new straight pool league on the North side of Chicago and graced the league with his presence, while taking home first place. He commentated on some of the live streams out of Red Shoes and even at the World Tournament a few years back and he was indefatigable. It is only fitting that we make at least some small gesture in recognition of his contribution to our sport.

This year's event takes place January 26, 2014 to February 1, 2014. The qualifiers take place Sunday through Wednesday.

For every $100 paid in, the player gets 12 chances. There is no limit to the number of times they can enter. They rack 14 balls and take the 15th ball in hand and cue ball in hand and see how many balls they can run . The three high runs for each of the first 4 days are paid $300, $200, and $100 respectively.

The players with the top eight runs of the four days then have a single elimination tournament. Inside Pool is doing a live stream of the event and in all probability, videos will be uploaded to youtube at the end.

We have had players like John Schmidt, Thorsten Hohmann, Ralph Eckert, Charlie Williams, Mika Immonen, Darren Appleton, Niels Feijen, Huijdi See, Danny Harriman and many others compete in the event and we have had many high runs in the 100s on tough Diamond tables.

We have been able to raise $7,750.00 in added money to this event. We should be able to generate a pretty good prize fund. Because we are back on the nine foot tables this year, I suspect the tables will not turn over quite as fast.

If anyone wants to make a donation to this event, money can be sent by check or money order to the following address with a notation Derby City Straight Pool:

Derby City Classic
4700 New Middle Rd.
Jeffersonville, IN 47130

or you can paypal to my account at gwtlaw@aol.com

We will be upstairs in the same larger room that we had last year, which will be even roomier with 9 foot tables. Stop by and say hi. If anyone wants to volunteer to help for a while as a scorekeeper, let me know.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Many excellent things there. I love the naming it for the venerable Mr. Fels. I also love that it is back to being on 9 ft tables. My only regret is that it will be starting on the day that I'm going home. I'm hoping to catch some runs on Sunday before I go. Otherwise I'll be glue to the stream.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis I think it is great putting Georges name on the event as he wrote often about straight pool and was also just overall positive for pool. One of the first pool books I ever read was "Mastering Pool" by George. I learned a lot from his writings.

The Derby is better because of the 14.1 and we owe it to people like George, Bob Jewett, who have wrote about 14.1 or Pat Fleming with the great videos including the many matches and also instructional materials such as Rempe's 2 videos. 14.1 is making a comeback and it owes a lot to the people who have worked to keep it alive and/or revive the game.

George will be missed but hopefully many will continue to read and learn about pool from his library of writings.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Derby City Straight Pool Challenge is being renamed the George Fels Memorial Straight Pool Challenge in honor of George Fels who passed away on December 31, 2013. George brought the game to life whenever he wrote about it in his monthly Billiards Digest Column. He had seen all of the great ones play throughout the years and shared it with us in his own inimitable way. He was probably the first to give written instruction of the intricacies of straight pool in his many books. Many of you must remember his "Whenever Possibles" . Clear the rails, whenever possible. Open the pockets, whenever possible. In addition, he actively participated in the Straight Pool Leagues in Chicago. He played in the Red Shoes Leagues many years, and recently, when travel became difficult, he played in a new straight pool league on the North side of Chicago and graced the league with his presence, while taking home first place. He commentated on some of the live streams out of Red Shoes and even at the World Tournament a few years back and he was indefatigable. It is only fitting that we make at least some small gesture in recognition of his contribution to our sport.

This year's event takes place January 26, 2014 to February 1, 2014. The qualifiers take place Sunday through Wednesday.

For every $100 paid in, the player gets 12 chances. There is no limit to the number of times they can enter. They rack 14 balls and take the 15th ball in hand and cue ball in hand and see how many balls they can run . The three high runs for each of the first 4 days are paid $300, $200, and $100 respectively.

The players with the top eight runs of the four days then have a single elimination tournament. Inside Pool is doing a live stream of the event and in all probability, videos will be uploaded to youtube at the end.

We have had players like John Schmidt, Thorsten Hohmann, Ralph Eckert, Charlie Williams, Mika Immonen, Darren Appleton, Niels Feijen, Huijdi See, Danny Harriman and many others compete in the event and we have had many high runs in the 100s on tough Diamond tables.

We have been able to raise $7,750.00 in added money to this event. We should be able to generate a pretty good prize fund. Because we are back on the nine foot tables this year, I suspect the tables will not turn over quite as fast.

If anyone wants to make a donation to this event, money can be sent by check or money order to the following address with a notation Derby City Straight Pool:

Derby City Classic
4700 New Middle Rd.
Jeffersonville, IN 47130

or you can paypal to my account at gwtlaw@aol.com

We will be upstairs in the same larger room that we had last year, which will be even roomier with 9 foot tables. Stop by and say hi. If anyone wants to volunteer to help for a while as a scorekeeper, let me know.

What a grand idea! This is brilliant. What a great tribute to a man whose legacy will live forever because of his words of wisdom. Bravo!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis I think it is great putting Georges name on the event as he wrote often about straight pool and was also just overall positive for pool. One of the first pool books I ever read was "Mastering Pool" by George. I learned a lot from his writings.

The Derby is better because of the 14.1 and we owe it to people like George, Bob Jewett, who have wrote about 14.1 or Pat Fleming with the great videos including the many matches and also instructional materials such as Rempe's 2 videos. 14.1 is making a comeback and it owes a lot to the people who have worked to keep it alive and/or revive the game.

George will be missed but hopefully many will continue to read and learn about pool from his library of writings.
The 100 pages about 14.1 in George's book "Mastering Pool" cover nearly all of what you need to do at straight pool and especially how to think about the table layout. It is not in print right now, but it is easy to get on-line and should be in every player's library with frequent trips to the table.

Thanks to Dennis and the team for all the time they put in to continue the George Fels Challenge.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
The 100 pages about 14.1 in George's book "Mastering Pool" cover nearly all of what you need to do at straight pool and especially how to think about the table layout. It is not in print right now, but it is easy to get on-line and should be in every player's library with frequent trips to the table.

Thanks to Dennis and the team for all the time they put in to continue the George Fels Challenge.

Agree 100%
Georges book "Mastering Pool" is a milestone and it changed my pool-life!
Still a *must read* for everyone who want to learn how to play 14.1

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very Good Idea... George Fels was a good man, he was definitely a plus for Pool & Billiards