Charlie Ursitti's Complete History of Pool & Billiards

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great Stuff ! - Charles deserves much credit for the work he's done :cool:

LApoolbum

Many thanks to Mr. Ursitti, The tournament numbers and notes are fantastic. The circumstances of Mr. Mosconi's loss in the 1933 world championship to Erwin Rudolph shed a new light on his famous words of advice, 'Don't miss!' .

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Does anyone know any contact info for Mr. Ursitti.

I found 1970 edition of the BCA Billiard Games rule book recently. I'd like to get it up there somehow .

It's kinda cool. Gots some old pics of players in it and the results from alot of differernt types of tourneys from 1878 to 1969.

There is a pic of Nick Varner from the 1969 ACU-I Intercollegiate Tournament where he won the Mens 14.1 while attending Purdue University.

Reactions: Pin

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know any contact info for Mr. Ursitti.

I found 1970 edition of the BCA Billiard Games rule book recently. I'd like to get it up there somehow .

It's kinda cool. Gots some old pics of players in it and the results from alot of differernt types of tourneys from 1878 to 1969.

There is a pic of Nick Varner from the 1969 ACU-I Intercollegiate Tournament where he won the Mens 14.1 while attending Purdue University.

i wouldnt be surprised if he already included the matches and scores from that book...have you compared the two?

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
I've just recently started to look and read what he has on his site.

Great Stuff.

But this is not there.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've just recently started to look and read what he has on his site.

Great Stuff.

But this is not there.

Your'e right - I'm pretty sure that book isnt on his site.

But my point is this; the scores and matches that Charles has compiled all came from somewhere. (books, magazines, newspaper etc)

If none of the matches or scores in your book are listed on his site, then yes, he'd probably be interested in including them. But they may already be there, which is why I asked if you had compared the two.

assuming they are not: if you are willing to digitally scan the book for us, I can make sure he gets a copy.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Whats in the record sections covers alot.

It has results from balkline champions, World Three Cushion, World Pocket Billiards, Intercollegiate Billiards, Boys Clubs of America and so on.

I thought it would be a good additon to the book section and Yes I can put it into a PDF format.

The pics of the players in there are cool also.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Whats in the record sections covers alot.

It has results from balkline champions, World Three Cushion, World Pocket Billiards, Intercollegiate Billiards, Boys Clubs of America and so on.

I thought it would be a good additon to the book section and Yes I can put it into a PDF format.

The pics of the players in there are cool also.

scanning it into PDF format would be very kind of you, and speaking on behalf of billiard history geeks everywhere, we'd really appreciate it.

if and when you do scan it, if you're interested, i can also add it to the Reading Room section of the Chicago Billiard Museum. it's exactly the type of thing we like to preserve and share.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
I'll get to doing it.

Glad I can add a little to the history of pool. I've been spending alot of time reading whats there. Some interesting stuff.

It seems pool has always had a imagine problem and problems bringing in new players.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll get to doing it.

Glad I can add a little to the history of pool. I've been spending alot of time reading whats there. Some interesting stuff.

It seems pool has always had a imagine problem and problems bringing in new players.

Heh, I have a newspaper clipping from the 1800s that says "If we don't get the gamblers out of bowling they will ruin the sport"
Actually from about 1850 to 1920s pool was a huge sport and the players were celebritys like Basketball and Football players of nowadays.
Greenleaf was the darling of pool for a long time , then the alcohol problems emerged and clouded everything over.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ursitti's information (26 PDFs) can now be found here:

I have asked Deno to make them more available and more complete but he is busy with other things.

BTW, the link in the original post looks to be a little dangerous. "Wouldn't you like us to check your computer?" No, thanks.

Richard Kapela

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have asked Deno to make them more available and more complete but he is busy with other things.

BTW, the link in the original post looks to be a little dangerous. "Wouldn't you like us to check your computer?" No, thanks.
This is gold. Thank you, both Deno and Bob. I had searched on the wayback machine but couldn't find this.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

Thank you for posting this here. What I think is fascinating is looking at the start of the 14.1 World Championships and watching the high runs increase over the decades as they figure the game out. And then you see the impact of the 9 foot tables in the 50s on high runs.

I found it interesting to review Greenleafs matches and he was running 100s in competition while many of his contemporaries were barely break 50 (or even 30 in some cases!). I get the sense that he was the Stephen Hendry of his time. Pushing the game to a new level.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

I once asked Deno to make some of Charlie's other web materials (scans of Billiards Magazine, etc.) available. Perhaps you can convince him to just ship you Charlie's hard drive. Mike would certainly host the content here.

I have safe PDFs of Charlie's records if anyone doesn't want to extract them from Scribd.