revo question

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just got one of the revo shafts with my drexler

it has the original tip,some layered tip
i am used to playing triangle tips

this feel too sponge like would it affect the deflection magic effect if i changed tips

i forgot to tell Paul what i wanted,so he put the high dollar stuff on my regular shafts also

he really is a class act,he uses the best stuff,tips woods etc

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would feel free to put on a tip that you’re comfortable with. The magic is in the light end mass, not the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just got one of the revo shafts with my drexler

it has the original tip,some layered tip
i am used to playing triangle tips

this feel too sponge like would it affect the deflection magic effect if i changed tips

i forgot to tell Paul what i wanted,so he put the high dollar stuff on my regular shafts also

he really is a class act,he uses the best stuff,tips woods etc

Triangles, pressed lepro and a few others are great on ANY cue.

I go back a fourth between harder and softer tips on my revo. This is what I've experienced:

I run the same amount of balls no matter which tip I use.
I make the same errors no matter which tip I use.

Only difference I've noticed is "feel"....and...... "sound".........and........"maintenance time".

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It has been tested by our tireless truth seeker, Dr. Dave.

On Dave's Tip Hardness Resource Page he asks, "What differences does tip hardness make, and does it affect how much spin can be applied, or the amount of squirt that results?"

His answer: "Tip hardness (in a typical range) has no practical effect on CB deflection (squirt)."

pj
chgo

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Use the stock tip...it's a good tip. Try to get used to it. As for Triangle tips I needed a Tip asap and only had a Triangle in stock. It plays very well. As for wear and tear it is holding up great. Otherwise I use Predator Victory soft tips....however in the dark I could not tell the difference between it($25) and the $.75 Triangle.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tips that you like on a wood shaft, may not be the tip you like on a composite shaft. It seems to me, that in general you want a grade softer tip on the composite shafts. So if you normally play with a medium tip, then go for a medium soft, to a soft tip. My suggestion is to play with what you have, and see what it does for you. Also try some different chalks as well. The Russian chalk is very good and players I have done testing with , some notice a difference, some don't. Composite shafts are not the same as a wood shaft, so just learn to adapt to the way it hits a ball and the changes you need to make as a player.

Facundus Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny Smith is promoting a tip with a Kevlar inner ring. I put one on a friend of his Revo and for another local player. They seem to feel really good on there. I believe the name is performance tip. It is an interesting concet and Danny seems to genuinely love it

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you guys,this has been the best response I have ever had to
a thread.All of your replies have been to the point and helpful.

I have been playing with similar maple shafts for so long that when i try
something different
i feel like I am losing control and i don't know if it is going to be worth it

I did get to shoot a long shot with a lot of side that surprised me when I made it and
sent the cue ball the length of the table

It reminds me of the time some kids at college had a bottle of scotch,it tasted horrible
to me,but they explained something about acquired taste or something,I said to heck with it
and stuck with my cheap wine,finally I gave up on that too

I am impressed by all the serious study that you guys are doing,it has a tendency to make me feel

shallow,funny how different people like different aspects about the game,i never even liked to practice
the game. I don't even know what to practice.

My friend Jack ,who started when I did and became really good ,tells me he likes to shoot certain shots until he gets to the point of never missing that shot again

Now he wants this shaft, I think it will make him happy but I don't like to work at things like that.

My feeling about the shaft was the tip was a bit mushy,it seemed a bit bulky at the tip,and the long taper was out of control

I would rather have a smaller tip,with an increasingly larger taper right from the get go

I know this makes me sound unscientific,perhaps it explains why my play is so weak.

Again thanks for the helpful advice

happy holidays to all
dean

Last edited:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

something different

I did get to shoot a long shot with a lot of side that surprised me when I made it and

It reminds me of the time some kids at college had a bottle of scotch,it tasted horrible
to me,but they explained something about acquired taste or something,I said to heck with it

I am impressed by all the serious study that you guys are doing,it has a tendency to make me feel

shallow,funny how different people like different aspects about the game,i never even liked to practice

My friend Jack ,who started when I did and became really good ,tells me he likes to shoot certain shots until he gets to the point of never missing that shot again

Now he wants this shaft, I think it will make him happy but I don't like to work at things like that.

My feeling about the shaft was the tip was a bit mushy,it seemed a bit bulky at the tip,and the long taper was out of control

I would rather have a smaller tip,with an increasingly larger taper right from the get go

I know this makes me sound unscientific,perhaps it explains why my play is so weak.

happy holidays to all
dean
As for the more conical taper you describe in cf. shaft it seems you may give a try to Becue 5.1 shaft...a newer version of it which should be no paint...if I remember right it is 11.8 mm at the tip and the taper rises quicker. You do have Wricky here to ask about it.

ehn9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• IMG_20181205_065526_735.jpg
    IMG_20181205_065526_735.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 744

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

something different

happy holidays to all
dean

KEEP THAT REVO...do not pass it on. Nothing to get used to...it's like any other different make shaft. Best enjoyed when used. You'll adapt immediately. Which did you get. I bought the 12.9...and bought the 12.4 when it came out. I like the 12.4 more.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
I have a Triangle on my Revo.

Layer tips are a gimmick. In my experience....

They've mushroomed.
Partially delaminated
Became hard as a rock
Glazed over
Would never hold a dime shape even after broken in
Need constant scuffing

I've had some that were without any of the problems above.

But that is true of regular tips (except the delamination part). Some have the above issues, some were perfect.

Overall, I've had better luck with Triangle than any laminated scam. The worst that happens with those is they mushroom a bit until broke in, then they are great. At 50 cents a tip..or 75 cents these days, it is even better.

At $20-$30 a tip, I demand:

No mushrooming
Very high degree of consistency (hardness) from new to broken in
No glazing over
Hold shape long term
Low maintenance

If layered tips could do that - then I could see some value. But they don't. So exactly what are the benefits? None.

Revo is mostly a gimmick too, the performance aspect of it that is (speed, consistency, deflection).

Real benefits of the Revo:

Ding/Dent resistant
Long thin taper without being whippy noodle
Stiff hit
Warp resistant
Keep it in the trunk of car and not worry. (although butt can warp, people for some reason forget that).

It's kind of a tragedy of sorts (for Cuetec)...had Cuetec made a shaft that simulated the wood surface to be slick, they would have been 25 years ahead of everyone. Instead, they were a cue that bangers and newbies would buy before realizing there were better options.

They must be kicking themselves, because 2 decades later - Predator is basically reselling many of their concepts and styling. "Sport grip". ...very sporty, non-classic type designs using non-traditional colors. Use of metallics.Synthetic shafts now...

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

something different

happy holidays to all
dean

Then you need to try the Becue 5.1 shaft. The tip is 11.8 and then it gets fat really quick.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They've mushroomed.
Partially delaminated
Became hard as a rock
Glazed over
Need constant scuffing

But that is true of regular tips (except the delamination part). Some have the above issues, some were perfect.

Overall, I've had better luck with Triangle than any laminated scam. The worst that happens with those is they mushroom a bit until broke in, then they are great. At 50 cents a tip..or 75 cents these days, it is even better.

No mushrooming
No glazing over
Hold shape long term
Low maintenance

If layered tips could do that - then I could see some value. But they don't. So exactly what are the benefits? None.

Revo is mostly a gimmick too, the performance aspect of it that is (speed, consistency, deflection).

Ding/Dent resistant
Stiff hit
Warp resistant
Keep it in the trunk of car and not worry. (although butt can warp, people for some reason forget that).

It's kind of a tragedy of sorts (for Cuetec)...had Cuetec made a shaft that simulated the wood surface to be slick, they would have been 25 years ahead of everyone. Instead, they were a cue that bangers and newbies would buy before realizing there were better options.

They must be kicking themselves, because 2 decades later - Predator is basically reselling many of their concepts and styling. "Sport grip". ...very sporty, non-classic type designs using non-traditional colors. Use of metallics.Synthetic shafts now...

Lots of misinformation being spread about layered tips there. Lots of perceived claims with no backup facts.

Fact #1: all tips that are made of leather will mushroom.
Fact #2: all tips will glaze over, not limited to just layered tips.
Fact #3: choosing the correct hardness of tip to begin with will eliminate mushrooming and glazing almost completely.
Fact #4: all tips shape will be affected by how the player strokes the cue ball.
Fact #5: layered tips will be more consistent amongst themselves for hardness compared to single layer tips.
Fact #6: leather is a natural material, and some defects aren’t known until the tip is installed and played with. Single and layered tips both.
Fact #7: different hide tanning techniques produce different leather.
Fact #8: no super soft layered tip will become harder than it’s hard version through play.

I’ve had more issues with Triangle, LePro, and Elkmaster tips than any layered tip out there. The difference is that when I have to scrap a bad Triangle, I’m out a potential $.25. When I have to scrap a layered tip I’m out a minimum 10x more money than a triangle, up to 100x. For your demands of a layered tip, you’ll never get what you ask for. It’s completely insane to think that way. You’ve fallen into a sheeple style thinking. Someone recommended a softer tip to you, and you hated it in the end. So it must be the tips fault.

A good quality Triangle has no advantage over a layered tip. And a layered tip has no advantage over a good Triangle. The problem is that no single layered tip is as consistent as a layered tip, tip to tip. If I have 100 Kamui M Tan tips in front of me, they will be consistent enough that you can’t tell the difference between them installed. If I have 100 Triangle tips in front of me, I can either have 100 good or 100 bad. Or 50 good and 50 bad. There is no consistency for them and that’s why tip installers have pushed for layered tips. I can install 1 Moori Jewel on my shaft and go play without fear of it being different from the last. I can instal 5 Triangle tips before I get one that is playable. They’ll vary from rock hard, to spongy soft that doesn’t cut.

Then again, which top pros use a single layered tip? Efren and Earl the only ones left?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
question were asked
which revo I bought
i bought one of each,but the 12.9 is the only one to arrive

I shipped it to jack,i am positive i will like the other 12.4 more
at least it is tapered more to my liking

I think those tall new tips might bother me,about twice as high as i like

It would be a big mistake to base your decision on whether to buy or not on
my limited experience

I find that if cues don't play the way I like right off the bat
that i don't want to keep trying

honestly i can pick up a cue and know right away
I almost always like Schons,Southwest,Vigus,Bob Owen when I order my taper,Bob Runde
And I love Nemic cues

there are plenty of other cues that I hate all the time Meucci leads the list,steel joint with pro taper,anything with pro taper in fact

this Revo is not in the first category,but i am betting the 12.4 will be

In fact I am offering to trade my Revo 12.9 almost new for another 12.4 right now

I am not ready to sell it until Potter decides if he wants it,

I used to enjoy betting on Potter before he got older and older and quit practicing
but I am still hoping we get one more hurrah

One can hope

As you guys know,Jack has given up betting on me

I think his wife saw me play and laughed,put Jack on a lower allowance and began talking to my wife to be sure we were not out gambling

She even said to Jack,why don't you quit looking for action with Dean,and just play Dean?

Jack tried to defend me with some lame excuse like "dean doesn't play as bad as he looks"

I was thankful for that vote of confidence

Last edited:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Predator uses their tips simply because its their shaft. One would think, that Predator being the all mighty that they are, they would put the exact tip on each shaft that would make it play to its optimal performance. All that being said, it dont mean squat. Each person is different when it comes to feel, SVB could play with a cat turd on the end of his Cuetec and none the wiser. According to almost every LD manufacturer, they recommend the more LD the shaft the harder the tip. Ive played with Mezz's lowest deflection shaft with Kamuis softest tip, in that regard I had the worst combination coming from someone setting behind a computer screen or cnc monitor that probably couldnt beat the 3 ball ghost with two BIH's. It is what it is, folks will play with a $600 shaft and a $2 tip if thats their bag.

$H - mind's still blown that people will blow more money on a shaft than a you can buy a Tim Scruggs sneaky pete for

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
$H - mind's still blown that people will blow more money on a shaft than a you can buy a Tim Scruggs sneaky pete for

We need REVO's like a snail needs airbrakes......but what the heck...why not. Like it and can afford it...buy it. I have various 314-2's. Rather have a REVO than multiple shafts that sit in a case.

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the revo played any where near as bad as those cuetec’s did I wouldn’t have one I promise you that. Lol

They've mushroomed.
Partially delaminated
Became hard as a rock
Glazed over
Need constant scuffing

No mushrooming
No glazing over
Hold shape long term
Low maintenance

Ding/Dent resistant
Stiff hit
Warp resistant

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We need REVO's like a snail needs airbrakes......but what the heck...why not. Like it and can afford it...buy it. I have various 314-2's. Rather have a REVO than multiple shafts that sit in a case.

Lol exactly. I like the way it hits and looks and I can afford $500 for a shaft. If you don’t or don’t think it’s worth the money then don’t buy it. I wish for the cue makers sake pool was more like golf. People with money run out and spend 1000’s on new golf clubs every year for the new better thing and no one bats and eye.