Celebrations on top of pool tables?

GrayBeard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It wouldn't surprise me if Matchroom approved/encouraged this type of celebration ahead of time.
I also think sacrificing a few pool tables to increase interest in pool could be worth it.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strickland-Story-1.png

i believe that was the same year he played steve davis in the quarter, and when davis missed the 5-ball on the hill earl stood up like a madman and screamed DOGGED IT! HE DOGGED IT!

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well maybe..

It's ok if Team USA wins the Cup. If Team Europe does it I don't like it. I don't throw my cues on the floor either, but it was ok for Skylar to do it.

If it was a made in America Diamond table I would not like it. I don't think I could get up on the table without a tall stool and would not look good getting down. I think Melling would beat me at getting on the table and I know Alex could probably jump it flat footed.

So as long as USA wins I don't care. I am a Patriot.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Just curious who started the tradition of jumping on top of a pool table to celebrate major wins? Was it Jason Shaw a few years ago at the U.S. Open 9-ball Championships or had it been done previously?

Yes, I know a quality commercial table can handle the weight of someone on it and even the weight of 7 adult males jumping up and down on it as we just saw with the American team during their Mosconi cup celebration. However, as a room owner, there is something about it that bothers me - kind of disrespecting the sacred ground/surface of the pool table that you have just won your title on. Not to mention that accidentally coming down with your foot and the entire weight of your body on the cushion rubber which could’ve easily happened and could very likely break the cushion rubber loose from the sub rail, or worse.

I just don’t think it’s a very good example / look to set for someone watching who might think they could get away with doing this when winning a tournament in another environment, such as at a pool hall, where it clearly would not be an acceptable thing to do.

I realize that most here will likely criticize my thoughts on this, but is there anyone out there who agrees with me?

No one is going to jump up on a table at their local pool hall after snapping off a state championship.

And if you are worried about the general public, well it's a good thing none of them watch pool.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m sure he wasn’t the first, but the first I saw was Kim Davenport after winning the Sands, mid 90’s.

Freddie <~~~ nothing is new

When he beat Earl in the finals! He wanted to beat him so bad. There was a mutual dislike between these two, probably still is.

P.S. I was the TD that year. They played two out of three sets in the finals as I recall.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I read about 10 posts from the first page, and my takeaway from this entire thread is that we have a bunch of petty-arsed people in pool. All those twits are always talking about pool needs this to succeed, or pool needs that, but when Matchroom Sports comes along and actually tries to promote the game, they do nothing but complain about any little thing that is even the littlest bit different than the game they grew up with, and they never once think that the game has been broke, with no money, as long as they've known it.

God fooking forbid anybody displays any kind of emotion to create some drama, to show that pool is played by something other than robots, and to try to generate some excitement amongst non-players.

Scherf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you imagine a golfer trashing the 18th green with a victory dance?

If I wanted to buy a Rasson table, it wouldn’t be that one....

If the players don’t respect their own game, who will?

Golfers chuck their putters god knows how high into the air after sinking a final putt all the time and never worry about catching it or the damage it does to the greens when they hit the ground.

Happens all the time. Not condoning it, just making a point

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I read about 10 posts from the first page, and my takeaway from this entire thread is that we have a bunch of petty-arsed people in pool. All those twits are always talking about pool needs this to succeed, or pool needs that, but when Matchroom Sports comes along and actually tries to promote the game, they do nothing but complain about any little thing that is even the littlest bit different than the game they grew up with, and they never once think that the game has been broke, with no money, as long as they've known it.

God fooking forbid anybody displays any kind of emotion to create some drama, to show that pool is played by something other than robots, and to try to generate some excitement amongst non-players.

Yep. The Mosconi Cup is one of the few tournaments held in America (every other year, of course) that actually has some spectators in the stands.

Maniac

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

Coincidentally, Kid Delicious (Danny Basavich) told me he was in a final against Earl at a Joss Northeast Tour event finale somewhere here in New England many years ago and he beat Earl who went on full tilt as he watched Danny climb his way up onto the table to celebrate.

How strong is that!!!

The table, I mean...:thumbup::D:D:eek:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coincidentally, Kid Delicious (Danny Basavich) told me he was in a final against Earl at a Joss Northeast Tour event finale somewhere here in New England many years ago and he beat Earl who went on full tilt as he watched Danny climb his way up onto the table to celebrate.

How strong is that!!!

Well there was a time KD went from about 325 down to 180 or so-Didn't last long but at any rate, he was always lighter than the entire MC team, Coach and Vice Coach (worst title ever dreamed of).

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Well there was a time KD went from about 325 down to 180 or so-Didn't last long but at any rate, he was always lighter than the entire MC team, Coach and Vice Coach (worst title ever dreamed of).

I remember that but this wasn't during his slender period. ;)

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I am somewhat in the camp of this was some what of a setup, and encouraged thing to do. If it bothered the sponsors to have it done, I would think the players would have been all warned ahead of time, after the last time it was done.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

How strong is that!!!

Yeah....but how much does Earl weigh when he's sportin' ass-weights and the rest??? :grin-square::grin-square::grin-square:

Maniac

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I said in my original post, I’m not surprised most people here are bashing me for my opinion on this, but slightly encouraged that at least a few people on here agree with me! I guess the real question is, how would you feel if it was your pool table?

If it was my table i would ask how they got in my basement and make sure they didn't have Charlie Williams with them.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I hope Shane doesn’t take his cue with him when he dances on a table.
...we’re trying to reduce carbon footprints