Magic in the Cue...

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Yes, the one he won the 2011 U.S. Open One Pocket Championship with.

We all know it is the Indian and not the arrow, right?

Well, it could not be more true than in this case.

When Efren walked away from the table, Alex P was "admiring" his Efren's cue and I asked Alex to tell me what kind of cue it was. Alex being the perennial pixie, quipped, "bamboo stick", grinning wildly. That brought a chorus of laughter from the gallery and I slipped on down to the TV table to get a closer inspection of Efren's personal cue. I and most others have seen Alex's respect for Efren on more than one occasion. Alex and the rest of the Filipino players all acknowledge Efren as THE KING. One time during the tournament Efren was walking past Alex and not talking to anyone, Alex bowed low and extended both of his hands toward Efren like you see in the movies and would not stop until Efren shooed him away with a wave of his hand. I thought that was some funny stuff. Wish I had that on video. :D Alex is my favorite comedian pool player for sure.

Getting back to the cue.....It was a rather thin shaft, just guessing that it was probably below 12.0 mm. The cue had a few points but for all practical purposes, it was a very plain looking cue. Another thing that caught my eye was the collar of the shaft. It was odd to say the least and did not match the collar on the butt of the cue. The taper looked similar to a pro taper but I can't be sure as I did not have a caliper with me.

Alex had been hitting some balls with THE CUE and I took my chances with facing the wrath of Efren. I know, I know it was stupid for me to hit balls with the champs cue but sometimes as human beings we do stupid things. I figured that my excuse that I was Efren's OFFICIAL "mini-tournament backer" might give me a stay of execution if the tip were to fly off of the cue or the ferrule breaking. Alex warned me that he did not give me permission to use the cue and I acknowledge that and inspected the cue closer. The ferrule had a thin line under it where there was "separation" from the wooden shaft. I placed my fingernail along the separation to make sure that I was seeing things clearly and sure enough there was a thin space not quite as thick as my fingernail under the ferrule. On one side of the shaft, the ferrule actually extended out enough for my fingernail to sit under the ferrule. I was careful not to put pressure on the ferrule for fear of it coming off.

I knew I didn't have much time as Efren would be returning soon. My blood pressure was increasing with each passing second so I set up my signature shot, the one with the object ball frozen to the middle diamond on the foot rail. Cue ball in the kitchen on the head string with the cue ball almost perpendicular to the object ball. I aimed just like I do with my OB Classic Pro and put the same amount of English and was very careful in doing so. My eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw that the cue ball hit the rail approximately 2 1/8" from the object ball. I shot a second and third time, thinking maybe I was being too careful or not aiming careful enough. I have made this shot many, many times and could not believe that I could not even hit the object ball let alone make it. After aiming directly at the object ball, I managed to barely clip the object ball, not coming close to making it. I whined to Alex that I couldn't play with THE CUE. Alex, opined, "That is what makes Efren such a great player". Efren can truly play with any cue if he can beat the best one pocket players in the world with THAT CUE.

I stopped after a few shots just in time to see Efren returning to the table and took a few moments to ask him a few questions, not wanting to disturb his continuity and focus. He replied that the cue was made or provided to him by Denny Glenn if I heard him correctly. Denny Glenn must be some kind of sorcerer and had given THE CUE some magical powers that only Efren can control. For me, the experience although it aged me quite a bit, I simply came away with more awe than I already had for "Bata". I still don't know if Efren saw me hit any balls with his cue. I only hit four shots with it but I know I couldn't play with it. I was just thankful that he didn't have one his minions punish me for my foolhardy move. As the tournament came to an end, I was in my room, listening to the commentary by Billy I, Corey Deuel and I think Larry Schwartz and I was kind of dozing off because of lack of sleep from the prior days. I set the alarm clock for 3:30 am so that I could donate a few dollars to the blackjack tables before I left for my 7:30 am flight and when I woke a couple of hours later, showered and packed my suitcase for the very early departure, who would I see sitting at the table next to me but THE KING himself. When he walked close by my table, despite still being embarassed by my outrageous move, I managed to mutter a "CONGRATULATIONS CHAMP" and he kindly smiled at me and tapped me on the shoulder. He must have passed on some of his magic to me as I won the next few hands of blackjack and retired a winner.

JoeyA

Last edited:

JimmyD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue.....

I heard thru the grapevine that "THE CUE" is a 12 pointed
Southwest!!!!

peter_gunn

])3a]) s']['rok3
Silver Member
Yes, the one he won the 2011 U.S. Open One Pocket Championship with.

We all know it is the Indian and not the arrow, right?

Well, it could not be more true than in this case.

When Efren walked away from the table, Alex P was "admiring" his Efren's cue and I asked Alex to tell me what kind of cue it was. Alex being the perennial pixie, quipped, "bamboo stick", grinning wildly. That brought a chorus of laughter from the gallery and I slipped on down to the TV table to get a closer inspection of Efren's personal cue. I and most others have seen Alex's respect for Efren on more than one occasion. Alex and the rest of the Filipino players all acknowledge Efren as THE KING. One time during the tournament Efren was walking past Alex and not talking to anyone, Alex bowed low and extended both of his hands toward Efren like you see in the movies and would not stop until Efren shooed him away with a wave of his hand. I thought that was some funny stuff. Wish I had that on video. :D Alex is my favorite comedian pool player for sure.

Getting back to the cue.....It had a rather thin shaft, just guessing that it was probably below 12.0 mm. The cue but itself had a few points but for all practical purposes, it was a very plain looking cue. Another thing that caught my eye was the collar of the shaft. It was odd to say the least and did not match the collar on the butt of the cue. The taper looked similar to a pro taper but I can't be sure as I did not have a caliper with me.

Alex had been hitting some balls with THE CUE and I took my chances with facing the wrath of Efren. I know, I know it was stupid for me to hit balls with the champs cue but sometimes as human beings we do stupid things. I figured that my excuse that I was Efren's OFFICIAL "mini-tournament backer" might give me a stay of execution if the tip were to fly off of the cue or the ferrule breaking. Alex warned me that he did not give me permission to use the cue and I acknowledge that and inspected the cue closer. The ferrule had a thin line under it where there was "separation" from the wooden shaft. I placed my fingernail along the separation to make sure that I was seeing things clearly and sure enough there was a thin space not quite as thick as my fingernail under the ferrule. On one side of the shaft, the ferrule actually extended out enough for my fingernail to sit under the ferrule. I was careful not to put pressure on the ferrule for fear of it coming off.

I knew I didn't have much time as Efren would be returning soon. My blood pressure was increasing with each passing second so I set up my signature shot, the one with the object ball frozen to the middle diamond on the foot rail. Cue ball in the kitchen on the head string with the cue ball almost perpendicular to the object ball. I aimed just like I do with my OB Classic Pro and put the same amount of English and was very careful in doing so. My eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw that the cue ball hit the rail approximately 2 1/8" from the object ball. I shot a second and third time, thinking maybe I was being too careful or not aiming careful enough. I have made this shot many, many times and could not believe that I could not even hit the object ball let alone make it. After aiming directly at the object ball, I managed to barely clip the object ball, not coming close to making it. I whined to Alex that I couldn't play with THE CUE. Alex, opined, "That is what makes Efren such a great player". Efren can truly play with any cue if he can beat the best one pocket players in the world with THAT CUE.

I stopped after a few shots just in time to see Efren returning to the table and took a few moments to ask him a few questions, not wanting to disturb his continuity and focus. He replied that the cue was made or provided to him by Denny Glenn if I heard him correctly. Denny Glenn must be some kind of sorcerer and had given THE CUE some magical powers that only Efren can control. For me, the experience although it aged me quite a bit, I simply came away with more awe than I already had for "Bata". I still don't know if Efren saw me hit any balls with his cue. I only hit four shots with it but I know I couldn't play with it. I was just thankful that he didn't have one his minions punish me for my foolhardy move. As the tournament came to an end, I was in my room, listening to the commentary by Billy I, Corey Deuel and I think Larry Schwartz and I was kind of dozing off because of lack of sleep from the prior days. I set the alarm clock for 3:30 am so that I could donate a few dollars to the blackjack tables before I left for my 7:30 am flight and when I woke a couple of hours later, showered and packed my suitcase for the very early departure, who would I see sitting at the table next to me but THE KING himself. When he walked close by my table, despite still being embarassed by my outrageous move, I managed to mutter a "CONGRATULATIONS CHAMP" and he kindly smiled at me and tapped me on the shoulder. He must have passed on some of his magic to me as I won the next few hands of blackjack and retired a winner.

JoeyA

Probably Efren's cue had some amount of deflection. U play with OB shaft ^^

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
thanks for the post JoeyA. Seems like a piece of hackwork was applied to Efren's cue when they changed the ferrule... But we all know he can kick a$$ even with a mop stick.

skip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great story thanks so much for sharing. Said so many times the man could play lights out with any cue. As much as you love the game that had to be a thrill for you. Skip

JoeyA

Silver Member
thanks for the post JoeyA. Seems like a piece of hackwork was applied to Efren's cue when they changed the ferrule... But we all know he can kick a$$ even with a mop stick.

Mike, you should have seen the collar on the shaft. :)

Great story thanks so much for sharing. Said so many times the man could play lights out with any cue. As much as you love the game that had to be a thrill for you. Skip

It was a thrill for me. I'm just glad he never caught me using his cue. :embarrassed2: :grin-square:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is going to be his greatest hustle of all...

Yeah, I'll play even but we play with this cue here...and you bet more.

M HOUSE

Silver Member
Here's proof that it's not the arrow

It was around '84 or '85 that Efren came to south Fl. For about five days in a row he came into the room I was running to practice. I even opened up a little early for him so he could practice without being bothered. He was playing with a Tad at the time and when I got to hit a couple of balls with it, I remember thinking that it hit very similar to the Joss I was playing with at the time (a little stiff). Then Efren went down to Bird Bowl in Miami for a small tournament. Part of his first place winnings was a Meucci cue. He never even opened the plastic bag it came, but just threw it in the trunk of the car of the person that was driving him around.

A couple of days later he got matched up in a game over at Gold Crown Billiards in Hollywood, Fl. His backers had arranged a game with Carlos Vieria. They didn't know Carlos, and the game they made appeared to be out of line. Carlos was getting the call seven, the wild eight, and the BREAK. (Carlos had recently won the Eastern States 9-Ball tournament). The race was to 25 for 5K.

Carlos came within one shot of playing a perfect set. He missed only one ball that he trying to make in the 48 games that were played, and he LOST ! Efren didn't miss any and won the set 25-23.. What is really amazing is that when Efren went down 8-2, he called a time out, went out to the car and got the Meucci. He tore open the bag, sanded and chalked the tip and said play. All the games that he won from that point where with a cue that he had never hit a ball with, and it was with a cue that hit very different than the one he was used to...and he never missed a ball.

Mizerak was part of the group backing Efren and he said that it was the most amazing thing he had ever seen.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was around '84 or '85 that Efren came to south Fl. ...he got matched up in a game ...with Carlos Vieria. They didn't know Carlos, and the game they made appeared to be out of line. ...to 25 for 5K.

Carlos came within one shot of playing a perfect set....and he LOST ! ...

Not out of line:wink:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
One of the most enjoyable posts I've read in a while

Joey:

That was one of the most enjoyable posts I've read in a while. No kidding. The way you wrote it, I felt like I was there.

And I know what you mean about the reaction/shock to the deflection on Efren's cue. I learned how to play pool pre-Low Deflection shaft days (i.e. 1970s and through the 1980s) before putting my cues down for a 14-year hiatus, to focus on my career. When I *did* come back to pool, there were all these newfangled things I'd never heard of before, like "low deflection shafts." I ignored them for the most part, still using the cues I had, trying to get back into stroke. I'm a feel player, and I know how to adjust for deflection -- it's part of intimately knowing what your cue does, by PAYING ATTENTION to what it does. (That latter part most pool players don't do -- they don't set up shots and practice spinning the cue ball at various speeds, to get used to that cue's deflection.)

Well, as is the case in these technology-driven days, it took a while, but I finally got snagged like a largemouth bass hitting a Jitterbug lure -- i.e. the low deflection shaft craze. The first time I tried an LD shaft, I didn't like it -- I was overcutting balls, and missing kick shots that required some spin, because I was subconsciously adjusting for deflection that wasn't there. Took me a while, but I gradually got used to an LD shaft, and I learned to appreciate why people like/prefer LD shafts -- you can aim more directly without some of the compensation.

Then, when I found myself in a pool room without my cues (e.g. when traveling), I had to play off the wall. And this was a skill that, in years past (i.e. prior to my hiatus), I prided myself in -- being able to take a cue off the wall, and very quickly know that cue's deflection characteristics and play decently with it.

Well, I found out that I'd lost a lot of this skill -- i.e. I had to learn how to adjust for deflection because I was hitting balls too fat / missing some kick shots because I had to spin the cue ball -- I made it a point that I would break my dependency on "technology." I didn't think it was right that my shooting ability depended so much on LD technology. My LD shaft is now relegated to the closet, and I now play strictly with either stock maple shafts, or radially-consistent shafts that are non-LD (like the Tiger Ultra-X).

I'm no Efren by any stretch of the imagination. But I can imagine (maybe it's my imagination) that Efren elects to use the cue he does, because he's an old-school "feel" player, and probably doesn't want to "unlearn" that which comes to him naturally. It's his innate ability to accurately adjust for deflection that is only one of the things that makes him great. I wish I had even a percentage of his ability in this single regard.

We are blessed to be alive during the "Time of Efren" to witness the master in action. I know I am.

-Sean

M HOUSE

Silver Member
Something else about Efren

This has nothing to do with his cues but I think you will find this interesting.

The match I mentioned between Efren and Carlos took place in the afternoon and when it was over I had to go back to work at my room. Later that evening I got word that there had been other backers, along with their "ringer", at Gold Crown that afternoon waiting for their turn to trap Efren. Not at pool, but at Chess. They knew that Efren played Chess and would gamble at it. They had brought in the best Chess player in south Florida and had him sitting at the bar. The man was supposed to be some kind of grand master or something, I'm not too familiar with Chess terms.

The backers got the bet up pretty good, I believe about 2K a game. They had Efren right were he wanted them. The Chess champion's backers pulled up after Efren snapped him off two games in a row!

JoeyA

Silver Member
This has nothing to do with his cues but I think you will find this interesting.

The match I mentioned between Efren and Carlos took place in the afternoon and when it was over I had to go back to work at my room. Later that evening I got word that there had been other backers, along with their "ringer", at Gold Crown that afternoon waiting for their turn to trap Efren. Not at pool, but at Chess. They knew that Efren played Chess and would gamble at it. They had brought in the best Chess player in south Florida and had him sitting at the bar. The man was supposed to be some kind of grand master or something, I'm not too familiar with Chess terms.

The backers got the bet up pretty good, I believe about 2K a game. They had Efren right were he wanted them. The Chess champion's backers pulled up after Efren snapped him off two games in a row!

Ahahahahahahaha!

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been trying to find this Denny Glenn guy on the internet and have come up with nada. Has anyone heard of Denny Glenn cues. I wonder if he is the owner of the cue or the cue builder?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Joey, Efren has always like noodle shaft .
When he received his Meucci, he had it tapered down by Judd.
Down to 12MM tip.

A month before the Color Of Money, I was lucky enough to have gone to Efren's good friend's home here. He had a GC III in the garage. Efren carried two playing cues then. His Meucci and his infamous $15 Jessie cue that was some 61" long and 21+ oz . We took turns trying those cues. The shafts were as you described .

After Efren's contract with Meucci ran out , he was offered a contract by a low-def shaft manufacturer. He turned them down. He doesn't like them.
He tried Gerry Jamito's ( a NoCal Pinoy semi-pro ) low-def shaft and actually threw the stick to the cushion after testing it . He said, " I aimed here, the cueball ended there ".

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I'm no Efren by any stretch of the imagination. But I can imagine (maybe it's my imagination) that Efren elects to use the cue he does, because he's an old-school "feel" player, and probably doesn't want to "unlearn" that which comes to him naturally. It's his innate ability to accurately adjust for deflection that is only one of the things that makes him great. I wish I had even a percentage of his ability in this single regard.

We are blessed to be alive during the "Time of Efren" to witness the master in action. I know I am.

-Sean

Sean, back in 2008, I had lunch with Efren and Edwin Reyes . Edwin made him a shaft and he used for a while then stopped . Edwin asked him why he stopped using it . He said he could not adjust to the "hugod", meaning taper.
He said he liked 20+ inches of almost straight taper because the conical one moves too much on his bridge hand.
I asked him about that infamous $15 cue. He said that cue was not even made for him. He won it and he started breaking with it . Then he started liking the tip after it was broken in. So he started using it . That cue was very forward heavy and extra-long with a skinny shaft . The ferrule was made out of a cueball material. He won the US Open, World 8-ball and World-9 ball with that cue.

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard this about Efren. Can anyone support this. When he needs a new tip he will go to a pool hall and pull cues off of the wall and hit with them and when he finds a good hitting tip he will have it cut off and put on his cue?