JoeyA's Aiming System

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I "discovered" this aiming system on my own a few years ago but never shared it with anyone but a few close friends and most recently a couple of my students.

Well it was "my" aiming system until I got to browsing through some of my many pool books. :smile:

Anyway, it is a very simple aiming system once you start using it. Even today I sometimes compare it to my instinctive way of aiming. (And yes, I even use CTE to compare my instinctive way of aiming).

Like I have always said an aiming system will make you pay attention (which means that you have to focus when you start paying attention).

This isn't a complicated aiming system as you can see. With a little practice, you might improve your aiming. Let me know if it helps or hurts after you practice with it a little while.

JoeyA

picture.php

If you can get these two lines correctly positioned and your body is in alignment so that you can stroke the cue ball straight, you shouldn't have any problem with pocketing balls for the most part.

Essentially, I line up the "contact point line" on the object ball through the cue ball and then simply shift that CPL and my vision center to the center of the cue ball if using no side spin.

And sure, it's okay if you guess what book I recently found this in. :D

JoeyA

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I "discovered" this aiming system on my own a few years ago but never shared it with anyone but a few close friends and most recently a couple of my students.

Well it was "my" aiming system until I got to browsing through some of my many pool books. :smile:

Anyway, it is a very simple aiming system once you start using it. Even today I sometimes compare it to my instinctive way of aiming. (And yes, I even use CTE to compare my instinctive way of aiming).

Like I have always said an aiming system will make you pay attention (which means that you have to focus when you start paying attention).

This isn't a complicated aiming system as you can see. With a little practice, you might improve your aiming. Let me know if it helps or hurts after you practice with it a little while.

JoeyA

picture.php

If you can get these two lines correctly positioned and your body is in alignment so that you can stroke the cue ball straight, you shouldn't have any problem with pocketing balls for the most part.

Essentially, I line up the "contact point line" on the object ball through the cue ball and then simply shift that CPL and my vision center to the center of the cue ball if using no side spin.

JoeyA

This is Marvin Chin's equal/opposite system. He wrote about it in his book "Billiards Accuracy".

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey, thanks for showing this to me And my buddy last week. Great system!

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JoeyA

picture.php

JoeyA

Hi Joey: Your graphics are a little off on the shot on the left. A half ball hit as illustrated would undercut the ball every time. The green line should end up more to the right for a quarter ball cut to make the shot. Sounds like a simple system. Some day I will try to explain how I aim. Cheers, Wayne

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is very accurate as long as your shaft on the green line is parallel to the red line. No pivot required. if you miss the shot, it was that your green line wasn't parallel. It is a geometrically correct method.

I called it CP2CP.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
1982. I have a copy of it, somewhere. It's out of print now.

Also Jimmy Reid's .
He had a youtube video I saw once. I don't know if it's still there.
It's actually a good system ( either one ).
Cornerman Freddie said it's a geometrically correct aiming system. That of course if the two balls are both the same sizes.

Last edited:

JoeyA

Silver Member
1982. I have a copy of it, somewhere. It's out of print now.

Thanks Shawn. The book I have is by Hal Mix and was published in 1994.

I would love to see how the aiming system was depicted in the book you have. If you can photo it or scan it I would love to see it.

Thanks,
JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
Hi Joey: Your graphics are a little off on the shot on the left. A half ball hit as illustrated would undercut the ball every time. The green line should end up more to the right for a quarter ball cut to make the shot. Sounds like a simple system. Some day I will try to explain how I aim. Cheers, Wayne

It is simple. I probably drew the lines off just a bit. Should have been more careful.

As to your aiming system, just remember Robert H. Smiths poem: :)

“The clock of life is wound but once,
And no man has the power
To tell just when the hands will stop
At late or early hour.

To lose one's wealth is sad indeed,
To lose one's health is more,
To lose one's soul is such a loss
That no man can restore.

The present only is our own,
So live, love, toil with a will,
Place no faith in "Tomorrow,"
For the Clock may then be still.”

― Robert H. Smith

JoeyA

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Also Jimmy Reid's .

Jimmy learned the system from the same book. And....it's the only aiming system that works with the barbox big ball.

It's "sorta kinda" why the CTE people think their system works. Except the Chin method requires absolutely no adjustments. And after awhile of using this method, you just see the shots naturally.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Jimmy learned the system from the same book. And....it's the only aiming system that works with the barbox big ball.

It's "sorta kinda" why the CTE people think their system works. Except the Chin method requires absolutely no adjustments. And after awhile of using this method, you just see the shots naturally.

Did not know Jimmy got it from there too.

It is a geometrically correct system according to Cornerman Freddie and that cannot be disputed I think.
A good system if you can visualize those points.
No twitching, pivoting or circling.

Was discussed during the Billiards Digest CCB good ole days.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Actually contact induced throw makes both thes balls no problem think I learned this when I was 12 ,,

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no idea how I aim really, but find your system interesting other than the fact I have no idea what you are describing. Not trolling or being negative just dont get the concept at all.

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually contact induced throw makes both thes balls no problem think I learned this when I was 12 ,,

Haha. I hope you are only 13 now because if you think contact induced throw is going to help to make the shot I referenced you have a lot to learn. You are already missing to the right of the pocket so if throw is added you will miss more right. On a 45 degree cut shot the center of the cueball has to travel outside of the object ball (about a 1/4 ball hit), you can aim to make it just to the left of the center of the pocket (pocket aiming) to allow for a minimal contact induced throw (which moves it very slightly to the RIGHT!!!).

I hope this helps you resolve the reason you have been missing so badly.

You're welcome.

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is simple. I probably drew the lines off just a bit. Should have been more careful.

As to your aiming system, just remember Robert H. Smiths poem: :)

“The clock of life is wound but once,
And no man has the power
To tell just when the hands will stop
At late or early hour.

To lose one's wealth is sad indeed,
To lose one's health is more,
To lose one's soul is such a loss
That no man can restore.

The present only is our own,
So live, love, toil with a will,
Place no faith in "Tomorrow,"
For the Clock may then be still.”

― Robert H. Smith

JoeyA

Great poem Joey, fortunately, we have both made it to the late hour.

I do use the system you are talking about, at times, to great results, especially on very thin cuts.

I use a number of different aiming systems depending on the shot needed.

I know there is some controversy whether aiming systems are useful or not. My opinion is a totally natural shooter or someone who sees the shot perfectly does not need an aiming system.

Someone like me, who sees a certain percentage of the shots naturally, does not need to use a system for these shots. The rest of shots that, for whatever reason, my eyes do not see the correct contact point or aiming point I have learned systems to compensate for my lack of naturalness.

Personally, I would not recommend using a system for shots that you see the correct contact point and have no problem making. I would recommend using a system for the shots you have trouble seeing the correct contact point and have trouble making.

Pretty simple.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

JoeyA

picture.php

JoeyA

i basically do and have been pocketing balls on that red line for many years....if i were using right the line would be basically left of red line and right of OB pocket line (between)

since i come in through the line (unless i'm using loads of english) i'm aiming to hit on the CB its minutely skewed to a degree and i really don't worry about throw/squirt....dont have to.

Hals Book is Pretty Decent, you don't see many of them around....what i do isn't really paralleling, since i don't enter the CB shotline vector with center...i enter "centered" with whatever side of the ball (or center, tho usually some too/toi) i'm hitting as the shotline.

-Greyghost

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Aiming Line or Shot Line...

I put this in my book in 2005, it is a good reference

Attachments

• Aiming Line jpg.jpg
    Aiming Line jpg.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 501