••• murder at the pool hall •••

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
At 10:00 Saturday night while engaged in playing a game of billiards in Campbell & Hatch's Billiard parlor, on Allen between Fourth and Fifth, Morgan Earp was shot through the body by an unknown assassin.

At the time the shot was fired he was playing a game with Bob Hatch, one of the proprietors of the house and was standing with his back to the glass door in the rear of the room that opens out upon the alley that leads straight through the block along the west side of A.D. Otis & Co.'s store to Fremont Street. This door is the ordinary glass door with four panes in the top in place of panels. The two lower panes are painted, the upper ones being clear. Anyone standing outside can look over the painted glass and see anything going on in the room just as well as though standing in the open door.

At the time the shot was fired the deceased must have been standing within ten feet of the door, and the assassin standing near enough to see his position, took aim for about the middle of his person, shooting through the upper portion of the whitened glass. The bullet entered the right side of the abdomen, passing through the spinal column, completely shattering it, emerging on the left side, passing the length of the room and lodging in the thigh of Geo. A.B. Berry, who was standing by the stove, inflicting a painful flesh wound. Instantly after the first shot a second was fired through the top of the upper glass which passed across the room and lodged in the wall near the ceiling over the head of Wyatt Earp, who was sitting as a spectator of the game.

Morgan fell instantly upon the first fire and lived only about one hour. His brother Wyatt, Tipton, and McMasters rushed to the side of the wounded man and tenderly picked him up and moved him some ten feet away near the door of the card room, where Drs. Matthews, Goodfellow and Millar, who were called, examined him and, after a brief consultation, pronounced the wound mortal.

He was then moved into the card room and placed on the lounge where in a few brief moments he breathed his last, surrounded by his brothers, Wyatt, Virgil, James and Warren with the wives of Virgil and James and a few of his most intimate friends. Notwithstanding the intensity of his mortal agony, not a word of complaint escaped his lips, and all that were heard, except those whispered into the ear of his brother and known only to him were, "Don't, I can't stand it. This is the last game of pool I'll ever play." The first part of the sentence being wrung from him by an attempt to place him upon his feet.

The funeral cortege started away from the Cosmopolitan hotel about 12:30 yesterday with the fire bell tolling its solemn peals of "Earth to earth, dust to dust."

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Wonder if bobs related to Dennis hatch...long line of hustlers lil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how much that table would be worth with blood stains/fluids Morgan Earp left on it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I've always been fascinated by stories of the Wild West. I'm not sure that what we read were really how it was, but the idea that such a world did exist is indeed fascinating.

135 years ago - I wonder what game they were playing? Did the table have pockets? Pictures don't really show the tables inside. This is what caused the most famous shootout in history.

I've always been fascinated by stories of the Wild West. I'm not sure that what we read were really how it was, but the idea that such a world did exist is indeed fascinating.

135 years ago - I wonder what game they were playing? Did the table have pockets? Pictures don't really show the tables inside. This is what caused the most famous shootout in history.

It sounds like the shooting happened a few months after the famous gunfight.

https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=48516

Campbell & Hatch Saloon and Billiard Parlor

"Bob Hatch and John Campbell opened a billiard parlor in 1880. Bob Hatch was a colorful character and an amateur thespian. It was said he kept a jar of frogs on the counter as their croaking helped him predict the weather. He followed the Earps to the famous gunfight, assisted in removing the gun from dying Billy Clanton's hand, and testified at the hearing. A few months later, he was playing a game of billiards with Morgan Earp when the back window was shattered by a gunshot and Morgan fell, mortally wounded, and died within the hour."

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Billiards........

JoeyA

Silver Member
The "Wild West" has always fascinated me as well. The "Crow Killer", The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson (Jeremiah Johnson) kind of kept the fire burning for me. Then along came "Unforgiven" by Clint Eastwood and also the TV series Hell on Wheels.

These types of films about the West seem to be closer to the truth at least as my imagination allows. The "fair fight" business of "You draw first" and other silliness just doesn't seem a valid representation of such a raw time in our history.

JoeyA

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
The "Wild West" has always fascinated me as well. The "Crow Killer", The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson (Jeremiah Johnson) kind of kept the fire burning for me. Then along came "Unforgiven" by Clint Eastwood and also the TV series Hell on Wheels.

These types of films about the West seem to be closer to the truth at least as my imagination allows. The "fair fight" business of "You draw first" and other silliness just doesn't seem a valid representation of such a raw time in our history.

JoeyA

Here's more on the not so wild wild west.

TV and movies are not accurate history and distort thinking about these issues, but sure are fun to watch.

Jeff Livingston

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
Do we really need more thread titles that degrade the game ???
:(
Bad choice by JoeyA.
Thought you had more sense !!!

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Zane Grey fan here....since I was seven....
...Riders of the Purple Sage....Tappan's Burro..........

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At 10:00 Saturday night while engaged in playing a game of billiards in Campbell & Hatch's Billiard parlor, on Allen between Fourth and Fifth, Morgan Earp was shot through the body by an unknown assassin.

At the time the shot was fired he was playing a game with Bob Hatch, one of the proprietors of the house and was standing with his back to the glass door in the rear of the room that opens out upon the alley that leads straight through the block along the west side of A.D. Otis & Co.'s store to Fremont Street. This door is the ordinary glass door with four panes in the top in place of panels. The two lower panes are painted, the upper ones being clear. Anyone standing outside can look over the painted glass and see anything going on in the room just as well as though standing in the open door.

At the time the shot was fired the deceased must have been standing within ten feet of the door, and the assassin standing near enough to see his position, took aim for about the middle of his person, shooting through the upper portion of the whitened glass. The bullet entered the right side of the abdomen, passing through the spinal column, completely shattering it, emerging on the left side, passing the length of the room and lodging in the thigh of Geo. A.B. Berry, who was standing by the stove, inflicting a painful flesh wound. Instantly after the first shot a second was fired through the top of the upper glass which passed across the room and lodged in the wall near the ceiling over the head of Wyatt Earp, who was sitting as a spectator of the game.

Morgan fell instantly upon the first fire and lived only about one hour. His brother Wyatt, Tipton, and McMasters rushed to the side of the wounded man and tenderly picked him up and moved him some ten feet away near the door of the card room, where Drs. Matthews, Goodfellow and Millar, who were called, examined him and, after a brief consultation, pronounced the wound mortal.

He was then moved into the card room and placed on the lounge where in a few brief moments he breathed his last, surrounded by his brothers, Wyatt, Virgil, James and Warren with the wives of Virgil and James and a few of his most intimate friends. Notwithstanding the intensity of his mortal agony, not a word of complaint escaped his lips, and all that were heard, except those whispered into the ear of his brother and known only to him were, "Don't, I can't stand it. This is the last game of pool I'll ever play." The first part of the sentence being wrung from him by an attempt to place him upon his feet.

The funeral cortege started away from the Cosmopolitan hotel about 12:30 yesterday with the fire bell tolling its solemn peals of "Earth to earth, dust to dust."

If the rumors are true about the Earp brothers I suspect the name of the shooter is what was whispered in Wyatt's ear and some frontier justice ensued.

JoeyA

Silver Member
I really didn't think anyone would be perturbed about a posting of a murder that took place 135 years ago.

Pool's reputation has a lot more to worry about than a thread title about a murder that took place in 1882.

JoeyA

Do we really need more thread titles that degrade the game ???
:(
Bad choice by JoeyA.
Thought you had more sense !!!
Zane Grey fan here too.

Zane Grey fan here....since I was seven....
...Riders of the Purple Sage....Tappan's Burro..........

I didn't know that Wyatt lived a charmed life.

If the rumors are true about the Earp brothers I suspect the name of the shooter is what was whispered in Wyatt's ear and some frontier justice ensued.