This happened tonight.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
SITUATION: a very small, local 9 ball tournament, paying only 2 places, first and second place.

There is a side pot but not all players paid into the side pot.

Player B comes in second place but did not buy himself in the Side Pot.

Player A wins the tournament and had bought into the side pot.

Player C came in third and bought themselves in the side pot.

Who gets player B's 2nd place Side Pot money?

JoeyA

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion...player a since they only paying out top 2 and 2nd place did not buy in.

Just dont see how 3rd place can get a pot that is only paying out first and second..probably going to have some that dont agree with me .

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO the side pot is the same a a tournament so it pays 2 places. If a player didnt get in it would roll down to the next place. Rolling it up only pays one place.

Reminds me of playing a weekly tournament in NO where they had a calcutta.

Joe V bought a ton of players but not himself. He could have tanked it but he didn't and snapped it off.

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First was the side pot to pay the top 2 spots or as some I've seen, winner taks all. If it pays the top 2 that is based on who paid in. So the top 2 in that pot happened to be 1st and 3rd in the tournament.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I'm reading this correctly, the two side-pot prizes should clearly go to the top two players who participated in it -- A and C.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
IMO the side pot is the same a a tournament so it pays 2 places. If a player didnt get in it would roll down to the next place. Rolling it up only pays one place.

This is exactly how I see it also. The first and third place finishers in the regular tournament are the first and second place finishers in the side pot "tournament" because the second place finisher from the regular event didn't choose to participate in the side one.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always ran it where the top players in the side pot got the cash. If you placed and didn't buy in, you were the same as not placing at all. In that case, it goes to the next lower player that did get in the pot.

edit: Another way to look at is that it is a side pot. You are paying the top two spots in the side pot, not the top two spots in the tournament. If you only pay the top player all the money, he is now getting unearned money. And the guy that was second in the side pot will be pretty upset that he just got screwed. Which will put a taint on the tournament and the guy running the side pocket that will eventually fester and kill the side pots and maybe even the tournament.

Last edited:

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Usually there's a player 'pool' (commonly in an open auction Calcutta- 2nd pot)...A 'Pool of players' who didn't catch a bid in an open auction. Then there's a bid on the pool itself at the end of the Auction.. If no bid is offered then the Tourn Director/ or house gets any moneys won by the player in the 'pool'.

If the 2nd pot is a simple Flat dollar option (ie no 'non-bid 'pool of players) only the players participating in the 2nd pot option gets to split up the pot. Player A and Player C (1st and 3rd) gets to split the 2nd place's (player B) moneys (equally or proportionally depending on the TD but splitting equally is the best option-imo). If an open auction on each player was the deal then a proportional split of the second place for the participating 'bidders' would be an option but I'd think bidders A and C prolly wouldn't mind an even split of Player B's 2nd Pot winnings. TD's call...

Another option would be to split the Player B's 2nd pot into 1/3rds and offer the extra 1/3 to both Player A and C... and donate a 1/3rd to the TD or House or Player B... Options options... Vote on the fly by vested parties ONLY... (Bidder A and C)

R

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it was a tournament I was running it would be the top 2 players that paid to get in on the side pot.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If I was player C...and they didn't want to give me second money...
...I'd have to turn that joint into a parking lot...:mad:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same thing happened to me in a kingfish tournament. Got beat for first place by about half a pound. Just before the awards ceremony I walked up and congratulated the winning team. The guys wife was ecstatic telling everyone who could hear that her man won the tournament. Right until I asked him if he was in the Calcutta. Which he wasn't. It was a charity tournament with relatively small payouts but a good Calcutta, so we wound up winning about $300 more than him. Poor guy had to listen to her ***** for an hour.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
It certainly doesn't all go to player A since it pays two spots not one. And it certainly can't go to player B, who didn't purchase a ticket to get on the ride.....

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It certainly doesn't all go to player A since it pays two spots not one. And it certainly can't go to player B, who didn't purchase a ticket to get on the ride.....

But it’s so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you. Are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet, or his enemy’s? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I’m not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows. And Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me. So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. Yes — Australia, and you must have suspected I would have known the powder’s origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
You’ve beaten my giant, which means you’re exceptionally strong. So, you could have put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your*strength to save you. So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you’ve also bested my Spaniard which means you must have studied. And in studying, you must have learned that man is mortal so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just the fact that you asked "who gets Player B's side pot money" is disturbing, since there is no way Player B could possibly have any side pot money.
This isn't rocket surgery or brain science -Player C gets the second place side pot money, since he finished second in the side pot