Question about a spray booth ...

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I am building a new spray booth and have a question about how to hold and rotate the cue and shaft.
What works best on the rotating center end to grip the cue you are spraying and rotate it. I plan on using something like Unique uses on their TaperShaper machine but am looking for other options.
Here is a photo of my progress so far and as you can see I need some help.
Please post a photo of the driven end of your booth if you can ... thanks.

William Lee

Attachments

• sb1.jpg
    sb1.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 410
  • sb2.jpg
    sb2.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:

Dmills91

Registered
What are the dimensions of the booth? also what size lumber are you using for the internal frame work? Thank you for your time!

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cannot help with much but add that I was looking at one not long ago that was driven by a single motor with belt and pully to each level but cannot recall how the butt and joint end were held in place, you might be able to find an inexpensive live center for one end to make it work.

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Booth

I spray my butt and shaft joined. On the butt end I tap them all for a threaded bumper or weight bolt, same threads either way. I just use a piece of 3/8-16 bolt into the threaded butt to turn/drive it with a variable speed motor. Not sure if that hits your question or not.

Last edited:

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I spray my butt and shaft joined. On the butt end I tap them all for a threaded bumper or weight bolt, same threads either way. I just use a piece of 3/8-16 bolt into the threaded butt to turn/drive it with a variable speed motor. Not sure if that hits your question or not.

That would be a solution for cues I make but I do repair and refinishing also so I would need a holding system that is adaptable to ANY cue butt or shaft.

When I decide on how to do that I will post some photos and share it.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
This is what I made for my booth. I have a delrin piece on the motor that has a .5" nub with a flatspot, then I made a series of delrin mandrels that are tapped for 3/8-10, 5/16-14 and 18, radial, etc. They have a threaded hole that a thumbscrew goes into to tighten on the flat spot. If doing a shaft, I thread in a small piece of threaded rod, if doing the butt, I remove the threaded rod and just screw the mandrel onto the Joint Pin. On the other end, I use a Taig mini live center that is spring loaded, that the point can be removed, and I made other delrin pieces to fit whatever I need on that end, like a concave tip holder, a large center for a end of the butt that has a hole, or a house cue type with just a center hole.
Hope this helps.
Dave
20190118_121215.jpg

20190118_121435.jpg

20190118_121509.jpg

Last edited:

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe some of this will help.

http://mvpcues.com/cuebuilds/Booth.php

There are two bearings for each center, centers are made from matching diameter bearing rod. Pulleys are made from delrin and press it on. Delrin stops and set screws to fix the drive side and created adjustable spring tension. Cheap gear motor, drive pulley larger to get the rpm where I wanted it. Belts are cheap O rings.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Maybe some of this will help.

http://mvpcues.com/cuebuilds/Booth.php

There are two bearings for each center, centers are made from matching diameter bearing rod. Pulleys are made from delrin and press it on. Delrin stops and set screws to fix the drive side and created adjustable spring tension. Cheap gear motor, drive pulley larger to get the rpm where I wanted it. Belts are cheap O rings.
Very Nice Kelly.
Dave

Facundus Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice Kelly. What blower motor is that you are using? I have been working one one myself and have a furnace blower but it is direct drive and started having second thoughts. Looks like yours may be direct drive too.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice Kelly. What blower motor is that you are using? I have been working one one myself and have a furnace blower but it is direct drive and started having second thoughts. Looks like yours may be direct drive too.

Thanks. It is a Dayton blower motor I bought like new off eBay for a ridiculous price compared to what it lists for. Relatively high CFM for the application.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A dead center with enough spring pressure is all you need to drive it.