Anyone using Cut2d Desktop?

JC

Coos Cues
If so what are it's pitfalls? Looked at the demo and it seems solid in what it does. For a buck and a half it looks to do a lot well.

I understand Bobcad seems to be the software of choice but frankly watching some "getting started" videos on it made me need a nap and a brain reboot.

Looking to learn what I don't know the easy way for a change.

Thanks,

JC

Facundus Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Vcarve which is one step above and pretty happy with it. The one thing I do not like is you cannot automatically make a fillet where 2 arcs intersect but there are some workarounds and it works great on to straight lines. I hope I do not get flamed but my theory is that a some cuemakers do not seem to have a whole of experience with cad or cnc and Bobcad seems to be the most widely used and taught to people that are getting in to cuemaking or learning cnc for cuemaking. Bobcad does plenty that vectric cannot do, but I feel for 2d flat bottom inlays vectric should do everything you need. If you need any help with it feel free to PM me and I will send you my #.

Reactions: JC

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I use Autocad lite for most of my 2D drawings.
It seems easier to make the contour lines and get the design and scale I want.
It might be that I am more knowledgeable about using AutoCad lite than I am about BobCad but it just seems easier to me.
I transfer the 2D contour drawing to BobCad to add the tool path lines and run the Cam part of the program to generate the G-code.

Things might have changed but when I was learning to use BobCad ver 18 about 16 years ago, their was not much basic information available and most instructions started you right off into 3D machine shop stuff.
Getting the basic information about how to make the tool lift to clearance, move to a new location, plunge back to cutting depth, and continue cutting seemed like a big secret as nothing explained how to do that.
Once you know about RED DOTTED LINES it becomes simple but that very important basic information was just not available.

For cue makers doing inlays BobCad is overkill on 2D inlays.
Why BobCad never made a stripped down (and cheaper) version for cue makers is a good question.

BobCad will hound you to death to buy every upgrade and new version that they release but all that fancy automated 3D stuff is never used.

Reactions: JC

Scratchy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try CAMBAM. First 40 uses free. Does all you’ll need for inlays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stylz730

Registered
I use aspire and it is just an up grade of cut 2d . I was the same way with bobCad . Just could not figure it out. I started with cut 2d and it is great. Very simple and easy to use. I use it for all my inlays and ring work with a cnc 3040 router. Cut2d is worth it. You can use the demo for free to try the design it just will not create the gcode.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums