Bees wax pushing up in seams

budonahog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had my table set up about 3 months ago. Noticed awhile back there was one spot pushing up but really didn't think much of it. Couple days ago I realized it is across the whole seam on both ends. Doesn't feel like the slates popped.
Any idea why this may have happened and do I need to remove the felt to fix this?

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
**I'M NOT A MECHANIC**

Had a table installed in my garage in Southern California. During the summer I noticed that the wax had pushed up at the slate joints. You could hear it when a ball rolled over it.

The mechanic came out, removed the rails, popped staples on the cloth near where the seams were and scraped the wax under the cloth. Then re stapled and reassembled.

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
Had my table set up about 3 months ago. Noticed awhile back there was one spot pushing up but really didn't think much of it. Couple days ago I realized it is across the whole seam on both ends. Doesn't feel like the slates popped.
Any idea why this may have happened and do I need to remove the felt to fix this?

Were the seams glued before wax?

realkingcobra

Silver Member

That's caused by the frame shrinking adjusting to the room its installed in. 1) slates were not pulled tight together then superglued to keep the slates together first, then the seam waxed. 2) slates are screwed to the frame, slight gaped at the seams, not superglued, frame shrinks because its drying out, as the frame shrinks, it pulls the slates together, as that happens, the wax down in the seam gets squeezed out of the seam upward above the surface of the seam.

You can take a deep well socket from a tool kit, roll it up and down along the seam like a steam roller, that'll cause the wax to flatten out across the seam.

budonahog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The slates were not glued together. Really considering taking it apart, gluing the seams and using bondo. I should mention the table is close to my heat source so the frame shrinking some seems perfectly legit. Is it worth taking apart to do the glue and bondo or just do the socket trick? Thanks for the input so far.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The slates were not glued together. Really considering taking it apart, gluing the seams and using bondo. I should mention the table is close to my heat source so the frame shrinking some seems perfectly legit. Is it worth taking apart to do the glue and bondo or just do the socket trick? Thanks for the input so far.

Socket first, then if you're not satisfied, take it apart and do it again, only make sure the seams are glued first.

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member

I would take it apart and glue the seams. If you are using the blue wax sticks it would be harder to roll out flat. Regular bee's wax is softer and would roll out flat. I recommend doing it the right way.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Is it worth taking apart to do the glue and bondo or just do the socket trick? Thanks for the input so far.

Just my $0.02: If you are going to switch to bondo when you fix it, you must get all the wax off, bondo an wax do not mix. I also say use the paper and super glue on the seams .

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's caused by the frame shrinking adjusting to the room its installed in. 1) slates were not pulled tight together then superglued to keep the slates together first, then the seam waxed. 2) slates are screwed to the frame, slight gaped at the seams, not superglued, frame shrinks because its drying out, as the frame shrinks, it pulls the slates together, as that happens, the wax down in the seam gets squeezed out of the seam upward above the surface of the seam.

You can take a deep well socket from a tool kit, roll it up and down along the seam like a steam roller, that'll cause the wax to flatten out across the seam.

Same problem with my previous table but it was in my basement. It would get a little damp in the summer, and very dry in the winter. Was heating with a corn stove.

I used the blue bees wax with resin in it. I tried rolling it. Didnt work. Warmed it with a heat gun (very carefully) and it worked. Hair dryer didnt get warm enough. A couple of spots i over warmed and the wax was pushed into the cloth. Sort of infused with the fibers. Didnt affect play but it could if you over fo it. So warm it carefully. Word of warning.... be aware of how close you get the heat gun. You can very easily melt the nylon fibers in the cloth.

Eventually I took the cloth off and glued the slates together. Used pieces of thick construction paper between the slates and soaked them with super glue. Recovered and never ha to touch it again until I sold it.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just my $0.02: If you are going to switch to bondo when you fix it, you must get all the wax off, bondo an wax do not mix. I also say use the paper and super glue on the seams .

Yep. Must be completely free of wax. Not even a film. You might even have to sand the slate edges with 180 grit to remove everything.

Question for you guys.... have any of you ever used Duraglas instead of polyester filler? Its basically the same polyester formula as bondo, but it has fiberglass fibers in it. Duraglas uses the same peroxide hardener as the bondo.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Yep. Must be completely free of wax. Not even a film. You might even have to sand the slate edges with 180 grit to remove everything.

Question for you guys.... have any of you ever used Duraglas instead of polyester filler? Its basically the same polyester formula as bondo, but it has fiberglass fibers in it. Duraglas uses the same peroxide hardener as the bondo.

I only use wax and bondo. More bondo than wax. No reason to use anything else. Especially something with fiberglass in it.

Trent from Toledo

Call_me_Tom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Interesting you mention superglue because when I mentioned that in a previous thread you mocked me.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Interesting you mention superglue because when I mentioned that in a previous thread you mocked me.

Here is what you said that I was commenting on that is WRONG:

"Three piece slate they have to glue together and then sand it even. It’s not like leafs of a dinning room table."

They are NOT sanded even. They are superglued together EVEN and then bondo'd...

Please: Move on dude you have nothing to say here. Thank You!

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I appreciate you!! I edited it an threw in a please and thank you! :)

Trent from Toledo

Last edited:

Call_me_Tom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is what you said that I was commenting on that is WRONG:

"Three piece slate they have to glue together and then sand it even. It’s not like leafs of a dinning room table."

They are NOT sanded even. They are superglued together EVEN and then bondo'd...

Please: Move on dude you have nothing to say here. Thank You!

So what do you do with the bondo, stare at it.

How old are you kid, keep ebanging tough guy, you know how to find me, we’ve exchanged messages over FB on a GC. Or you can keep hiding behind your keyboard.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
So what do you do with the bondo, stare at it.

How old are you kid, keep ebanging tough guy, you know how to find me, we’ve exchanged messages over FB on a GC. Or you can keep hiding behind your keyboard.

Please help me understand how what your wrote makes any sense. I was not "mocking" you when I commented about your above comment, I was making it clear that it was wrong. Even if you meant something different, it was clearly not the right info.

I am going to disregard the rest of what you said because I might have been a bit of a jerk in my response and for that I apologize. Thomas K?? I dont ever remember getting a call from you.

Trent from Toledo

Call_me_Tom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Please help me understand how what your wrote makes any sense. I was not "mocking" you when I commented about your above comment, I was making it clear that it was wrong. Even if you meant something different, it was clearly not the right info.

I am going to disregard the rest of what you said because I might have been a bit of a jerk in my response and for that I apologize. Thomas K?? I dont ever remember getting a call from you.

Trent from Toledo

Your response in that previous thread didn’t elaborate on anything but pontification, at least I gave an attempt.

I don’t mind being wrong, I’d rather be told I’m wrong now, so I can be less wrong later.

But what value did you add in that last thread besides coming off sounding like RKC? You didn’t mention wax, bondo, nothing, you just made a mocking post, if we use your logic and go verbatim, tables are assembled like LEGO’s, nothing else required. If you’re going to call someone out, educate, saying wrong is easy, it doesn’t mean you’re correct if you can’t explain your reasoning.

Yes, I’m Thomas K and the reason why I messaged you and not RKC, who routinely operates in my area is because he’s an antisocial, immature, narcissist and not someone I’d chose to give money to. That is why your retorts at my expense are irritating, I thought you were above that behavior.