My first video...12 ball run

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
OK so as i have told you all i just recently learned 14.1 (only learned it in september) and i am really enjoying it.It has been a great learning experience for me. I couldn't run more than 3 or 4 balls (if i was lucky) before my husband introduced me the game. Since i gave up 9ball and really started learning how to play i have gotten so much better! Steve had the camera set up at the pool hall so we played a little and was able to catch me running 12 balls on tape!

Now like i said i am new to this, i know i still have alot to learn and i make mistakes, but i am pretty proud of how i have been playing! I figured i would post the video so everyone can track my progress along with me :)

enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc3L4uAGnhg

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
Playing 14.1? 4 months.I learned 9 ball about 8 years ago but never really took it serious. Been really trying to play seriously and learn the right way to play in the last year or so

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
Also wanted to add I only get to play a day or 2 a week

Last edited:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing 14.1? 4 months.I learned 9 ball about 8 years ago but never really took it serious. Been really trying to play seriously and learn the right way to play in the last year or so

i'm no professional instructor or anything but it looks like you're doing enough right. you're full stroking the ball and don't seem to be jumping up that's more than i can say for myself

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
Thanks! It took forever to learn to stay down when I shoot, I still catch myself doing it from time to time but not like I used to! Having people yell at me to stay down on my shots may have helped to lol I got tired being yelled at! Lol :)

sascha

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
watch your shoulder when stroking , you should keep it still. good run, you will run more soon but also always check the table layout, seems like you play and then look whats available next. you should know that before you shoot but that will come after playin and playin and playin the game.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Very nice

Nice shooting. Good stoke. You let that cue ball start to run away which made the shots get harder & harder but we all do that. It is a part of learning.
Keep up the good work & Congrats of the 12. Now you need to set your goal on 14 with a break shot to get onto the next rack.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Heather

Nice run and nice video production. I predict that you will be into the second rack in a very short time.

Dave Nelson

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
Thanks i sure hope so! my high run is 14 right now...just cant seem to get good postition for a break shot!

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a nobody, but I see a few things.

The ball colors are hard to see, so I may be talking about the wrong ball, but I'll go in order as you shoot.

The six goes in and you float the cue ball, ok.

I think you should have played the eight with a little draw, bringing the cue ball closer to the side rail. That gives you a little angle on the one so you don't run into the fourteen. Then you could have rolled the one in and bounced up for the fourteen.

You still could have gotten there if you drew off the five, but you played a stop shot (standing up a little as you pulled the trigger, but it was a good stroke).

You put the seven in the side nicely, but you let the cue ball roll. You could have stopped for the two in the side giving you a shallow angle for the eleven, or rolled a few inches for the ten in the corner, which blocks the three ball.

You played the pink ball (just above the nine) with draw (too much). I would have tried to roll it or slightly draw to the rail and out, so the cue ball comes toward the bottom rail, just below the ten, to pick up the fourteen. That might have been tricky, with the threat of a scratch or getting hidden by the ten, or getting straight in on it.

When you do shoot the eleven, you should have rolled down for the fourteen.

Then you get distracted talking to someone, and you blast the ten, letting the cue ball run wild.

You have to shoot the break ball from a long way off, but you stand up again as you pull the trigger (good shot anyway). But you hit it with follow instead of holding the cue ball, to pick off the remaining balls.

In general, you shoot straight but too hard, but the two and the eight in the side showed a good touch when the cue ball is close to your work.

Watch Efren at the Maine event:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUUb5BU5mEQ

Last edited:

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
Thanks for the break down! Like i said i am still learning so these things don't pop out at me as easily. I tend to hit balls harder when i am not 100% sure i can make the shot ( and i have already taken all the "easier shots") I guess i feel if i hit them harder i can sorta "force them in" lol gotta get out of that habbit! I will def look at the video again later while reading your reply so i can get a better understanding!
Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
I tend to hit balls harder when i am not 100% sure i can make the shot ( and i have already taken all the "easier shots")

When going through a rack of straight pool, taking all the "easier shots" up front will get you in trouble because now all you'll be left with are the tougher ones.

Ideally, you would like to eliminate trouble (balls on rails, clusters, etc.) as early as possible so that all you are left with are easy shots.

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
Oh that part I know lol been trying to do that... I meant shots I don't feel 100% confortable with I usually hit hard hope that makes more sense. I was told by quite a few people at my pool hall to make sure I get rid of the problems early like u said, balls on rails and clusters so I have been making sure I do that.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I wish we could see the break which resulted in that spread ;) Nice shooting for a small background, conrats on the run, thanks for posting a video and enjoy 14.1 as much as you could! You are yet to face the disappointments this game involves, so don't let despair ruin your love to straight pool :)

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
I wish we could see the break which resulted in that spread ;) Nice shooting for a small background, conrats on the run, thanks for posting a video and enjoy 14.1 as much as you could! You are yet to face the disappointments this game involves, so don't let despair ruin your love to straight pool :)

That spread is what was left after my husband scratched on his break shot...he had just come off a run of 35 lol :)

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Heather;

One bit of advice from the person least qualified to give advice. When you get that shot that you "don't quite feel comfortable with", straighten up step back, and start over. I remind myself of this all the time, after the shot. I'm sure somebody else has told you this, but just in case.

Dave Nelson