Progress???

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
Well here is another video and its only about 17 balls, nothing great as far as numbers. I do shoot in three racks, and make two break shots. I have also slowed down alot. That frustration everyone saw in the first video actually caused a breakdown of my preshot routine and stroke! I had to do some stroke drills and shotmaking drills to get back to where I should be. This is about how I play normally,although I get through the rack slowly do to the amount of planning I do.

I am starting to actually feel a bit more confident in playing racks now. Due to your guy's input I have learned more about straight pool in the last 4 days than I have over the four cumalitive months of straight pool I have played in my whole life. Ok guys, what progress have I made and what are the weaknesses?

http://www.vimeo.com/10600465

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
There You Go

What a difference between this run and that 40 something run you had.
It is like Night & Day.
You look like a player now. What an improvement. I really mean it. From the first break, I can see how straight your body was with your stroke and level of eye sight. You stated that the 2nd rack was the hardest one you ever shot. Well, I would bet that it was your Best rack you ever shot skill wise, your stroke, pattern play etc. It all looked good. You played the last 3 balls correctly and set yourself up with great break shot. That is the way you need to play. Do not get up set if in the beginning your runs are 17 balls or 20 what ever and not 40 & so on. The guy who shot that 40 is no where near as good as the guy who shot that 17.
I felt bad for you b/c that side pocket shot did you in and I know what you have written about. The correct pattern was to play that 9 ball in the corner and stop it for the 7 ball on that bottom rail. I believe that the 1 ball was being blocked by the 15 ball to the corner. The 1 ball would of been a great break shot but you could of went back up to the center of the table from the 7 ball, instead of attempting that hard side pocket shoot from the bottom corner across the table. Learn to use a bridge (very important) or get yourself an extension cue for those type shots.
There was only one major problem with your video. The noise you were listening to! I was about to pull out what ever hair that I have left on my head. I guess your taste in so called music will change as the years go by.

center pocket

Silver Member
Well there is a mute option on every video player. I will play some alternative and rock next time I record for you guys. I agree with you, I feel like I am playing 14.1 the way it should be played, even if the runs aren't that high yet. I chose to go for that last shot because I felt it was a good oppurtunity to break up the two striped balls that were frozen on the foot spot. I got perfect position on it too, 5 degree cut angle to nudge the two frozen stripes apart and use the stripe near the opposite side for insurance incase i got frozen. Thats why I dint go for that 7 on the bottom rail, I was already in a good place to break up the frozen striped balls on the foot spot. I swear I was lined up perfect for the shot in the side and some how i missed it, must have stroked funny or something.

Thanks for the input straight man, like I said I feel I have learned so much from all the input you guys gave me from the first video i submitted. I can not say thank you enough.

I will look at the video again and see if the pattern you described in that last rack was a viable solution.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hussa :)

First imo you have to work on an important thing in my opinion- you bridge-lenght is often different- and imo always much too long (distance cueball<----->bridge. Try to keep it more constantly here. It will help your for sure.
Second thing is, that you should try to get a better pre-shot-routine. If you re planning your next balls- first watch of course the ball you wanna shoot at- then look for the 2nd ball-BUT- you have to go there and really watch where you wanna play position for- so be sure and look at it from the right side! Don t make the mistake to watch just over to the other side of the table where you wanna go for. Walk and watch (don t be lazy :grin-square:)
It will take for sure a bit time to get a pre-shot-routine, which will be very constantly- but it will help you a lot.
If you have a partner/friend you often play with- tell him that he should holler at you immediatley if you re *standing up* in your stroke while you haven t finished it really. Stay down my friend until the stroke is finished.

A bit hard to explain all here in words- but i hope you re able to work a bit on it:)

have fun and keep shootin,

lg
Ingo

center pocket

Silver Member
So as far as the planning phase, not execution phase, I need to take the time to see where I want to shoot the second shot from and make sure I am on the right side of the ball.

I understand about the bridge length, if all things were considered equal I would always have 14 inch bridge length. There are short up close shots, longer stroke shots, and other varieties of shots. I always have the same follow through which is about 5-6 inches past the CB. If my bridge length is shorter then my grip hand is higher on the grip to compensate, longer bridge then I am grabbing the back of the cue behind the wrap. Now in nine ball where almost every shot is a medium to long shot and your stroke is let out a bit, I have a very consistent bridge length. In straight pool I shorten it for certain situations, and to help with accuracy a bit on certain shots.

Hopefully this explains the different bridge lengths. If my bridge length changes, I guarantee you i am doing it for a reason that will help me pocket the ball or put spin on the ball (such as jacking up a bit and shortening the bridge for a nice snap draw shot). I don't think I am mindlessly changing it.

Thanks for the input Ratta, I will be more aware of my cue ball placement in the future.