Run This (65)

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would you run these? Ball numbers from head to foot are: 12, 2, 6, 9, 4, 1, 13. 2-ball and 4-ball are in the rack.

Screenshot - 1_7_2017 , 3_01_34 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would you run these? Ball numbers from head to foot are: 12, 2, 6, 9, 4, 1, 13. 2-ball and 4-ball are in the rack.

View attachment 445927

I always seem to be in the minority on these things, but here goes:

4,2,12,9,1,13 break with 6.

Maybe the reasoning makes for better discussion than the actual sequence. For me, I want the 13 for my key ball because I'm pretty confident at getting a good break angle from either side of the 13 and coming off the rail. I want to keep the 1 to help me fine tune my position on the 13. The 9 is a good logical place to get at the 1 and 13. So by shooting the 4 first, depending on the angle you'll hit the 2 in the same pocket or maybe the 12 next. Either way you get rid of the 4,2,12 and draw or follow over for a large position zone on the 9. No long shots, easy position zones I think.

Seems like there are several ways to do this of course, but at least I can't get on the wrong side of the 13 for a key ball like I can with one of the balls in the open field.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4 left corner
1,13 right corner
2 side

Not sure it's a textbook run, but I think the angles all seem pretty natural except for the little draw off the 12 to get to the 6....but that's pretty tough to screw up too, I think.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or if you prefer back of the rack:

4-2-12-6-9-13, 1's the break

It would probably depend on exactly what angle I had on the 4. Tough to tell from the picture. Maybe the cueball wants to drift too far to get a good angle on the 1.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only thing about taking the 4 first and going to the 2 next might be that the angle appears to be a little steep off of the 4 and might need a lot of reverse english to squeeze the cue ball between the 12 and 2 going off of the left rail and fall nicely on the 2. But maybe not. It just feels that way from here.

Edit: Somehow I skipped over your comment about the angle on the 4. Sorry, John. I'm missing a lot these days. Actually, looking again, you're referring to the 1 after the 4, so your first layout.

Last edited:

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For my second layout, going 4-2-12, I was thinking roll the 4 in and shoot the 2 in the side. Never occurred to me to try and shoot the 2 in the bottom left corner. I guess my way you risk getting a bad angle on the 2, and then crashing into the 6, but the safety valve is that you would then have a good angle on the 1.

This is a damn difficult game. It amazes me that there are people that can look at this layout and instantly see all of this as naturally as breathing.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For my second layout, going 4-2-12, I was thinking roll the 4 in and shoot the 2 in the side. Never occurred to me to try and shoot the 2 in the bottom left corner. I guess my way you risk getting a bad angle on the 2, and then crashing into the 6, but the safety valve is that you would then have a good angle on the 1.

This is a damn difficult game. It amazes me that there are people that can look at this layout and instantly see all of this as naturally as breathing.

John - one of the reasons I chose my route is that I felt there was too much angle on the 4 to be able to shoot the 2 in the opposite side with a shallow angle. Also, in your first scenario, my guess was that there would be a pretty good angle going from the 4 to the 1, and so getting from the 1 to the 13 could be a very touchy and missable shot. But, of course, it depends on the actual angle. That was just my take on it.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would probably go 13-2-6-4-12-9 as keyball to 1 ball for break.

I would start low left and try get straight to 2 ball from 2 rails. Then make 2 and depending on angle try go either 12 or 6 It really does not matter anymore. Finally I just want land on 9 with shallow angle and I got easy keyshot for 1-behind-the-rack breakshot.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Minimum cue ball movement:
1, 2 in the corner, 4, 13, 9, 12

Depending on the exact clearance from the 9 past the 6 to the 12, I may have to play to get just above the straight-in on the 12 and go through to the side rail and out.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On Stalev's first shot on the 1-ball where it may have skidded, I wonder if he was trying to get on the foot rail so he could shoot the 13-ball at an angle to follow and bump the 6-ball higher for a better break shot.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9-12-6 set up perfectly for the last three balls.

I'd go 1 in the corner forward for 13 in the other corner, one rail to 4 in same corner as the 1, 2 in side forward for 9 stop, 12 stop or slight draw, 6.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Here is what Evgeny Stalev did. Not quite as straightforward as the paths you all suggested, but he got through it on his way to a 226-ball run.

at 36:44:

https://youtu.be/9pq8v1ZDpDA?t=36m44s

Jeff: When I mentioned Stalev's big runs in straight pool to Maksim Dudanets, and Andrey Seroshtan at Derby, they started laughing. They said he has crazy patterns.

If the run is going to include a bump, that changes everything. When I first saw this layout, I figured I'd probably be bumping into things and at first did not attempt a pattern. Then I came back and tried to figure out a pattern without bumps.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Right John. I guess we like the torture of such a difficult game. Then again, difficulty is relative. I guess it all depends upon what our goals are in playing it. It's like easy and hard crossword puzzles. Some people like easy ones. Then there are people like me who need to know that I'm working on the toughest ones, otherwise there's no pride in finishing them.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff: When I mentioned Stalev's big runs in straight pool to Maksim Dudanets, and Andrey Seroshtan at Derby, they started laughing. They said he has crazy patterns.

If the run is going to include a bump, that changes everything. When I first saw this layout, I figured I'd probably be bumping into things and at first did not attempt a pattern. Then I came back and tried to figure out a pattern without bumps.

That's funny, Dennis. I wonder how many of us would run more balls if we just took the time to find better patterns.