Run This (66)

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balls from head to foot are: 8, 13, 14, 9, 15, 2, 3, 1, 6. The 1-ball passes the 6-ball to the bottom right corner.

Screenshot - 1_8_2017 , 2_58_46 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm gonna keep tryin' until I get one right.

Priority is to clean up below the break ball.

9,2,1,6,15,14,8,13, 3 break.

You got same pattern as me.. 13 and 14 could be switched if have wrong angle on 14...:cool:

Edit. This way could also use 8 ball as key ball too. Coming with angle that gives huge margin of freedom.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like yours, guys. Here's another option:

13-8-2-1-6-15-9-14 break with 3

View attachment 446064

Jeff - the only criticism I can offer on that pattern, if I may, is going from the 8 to the 2. I can't remember at the moment if it was Rempe or Sigel or both, but they avoided going anywhere near that side pocket like the plague. In fact, the warning to keep the cue ball far away from that side pocket was so strong that I still remember it today, years later.

I'd say if you have an equally good path that does not involve sending the cue ball toward a side pocket, then choose that one.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear ya, Dan. Thanks. It's the touchiest shot in my pattern, I agree. I'm pretty confident I wouldn't scratch on a shot like that though. My speed control on the other hand could get me into trouble on that shot.

Looking at the shot again, I'm changing my mind about playing it off of the left rail. If speed control is bad and I end up on the rail, the rest of my pattern is off because of the wrong angle on the 2. I might instead just try to get and stay on the angle for the 2 straight off of the end rail from the 8.

Nah. I changed my mind again. Then the scratch is back on. I'll stick to the original plan.

I could also play the 9 in the bottom left corner after the 8 then the 2. Then just use the 14 as key ball directly after the 15 in the top left corner or left side pocket.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I defy Bob Jewett to buck me on this one... go ahead Bob, Make My Day. :cool:
I like your order. On the last three balls it might depend on where you get on the 15 and how you can get on the next ball, but yours is plan A. I think you have to be able to get through the 15 in this pattern nearly all the time.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I weigh this differently. In general I like to clear around the break ball first, but here I have a couple of other preferences that pull me more. Namely I don't like balls in the center of the table and I don't like side pocket shots as key balls.

My order would be 15, 9, 14, 13, 8, 2, 1, 6.

Basically I'd want to clear the congestion in the middle of the table, pick off the 8, then anywhere on the left half of the table I can lag in the 2 (ideally being pretty full so I can get straight on the 1). The 6 ball is a good key ball because you're not moving the cue ball very far and with a pattern that is very easy to control (if you do get so you can stop on the 1 it's automatic one rail shape).

Thoughts?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's what Johnny Archer did with these balls. It looks like he was following the Dan/Poolmanis/Dennis plan but got too straight on the 6.

at 8:45
https://youtu.be/wKtwakx0ThI?t=8m45s

From a purist perspective :p he got the wrong angle on the 6 ball from the 1 ball. That draw with spin was the result of a mistake. I think the mistake was having too much angle on the 1 so he had to go to a cushion rather than controlling the angle with stun speed.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From a purist perspective :p he got the wrong angle on the 6 ball from the 1 ball. That draw with spin was the result of a mistake. I think the mistake was having too much angle on the 1 so he had to go to a cushion rather than controlling the angle with stun speed.

Well he sure didn't make it look easy. If he came off the bottom rail and was an inch shorter or longer than where he was he'd have been OK for the 15.

I don't care what anybody says, I think these guys play too shallow on their break shots, new equipment or not. He was shallow on the break shot, which sent the cue ball careening around the corner in sticking back into the pack. I just think with more angle (not necessarily Mosconi type angle) they can hit the break shot softer and control the cue ball better. But then again, it also bothers me to see straight pool matches advertised as "races" so what do I know? :confused:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... But then again, it also bothers me to see straight pool matches advertised as "races" so what do I know? :confused:
You're a little young to have turned into a curmudgeon, Dan.:p

If 14.1 were the standard game, and the top players were playing it every day, maybe it would evolve back to the old style, but it's really hard to do that experiment.