Wwyd

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WWYD. Playing 9 ball, got great on the 8, but a bit too steep "so it seems" to hold one rail.

Would you still try to hold 1 rail for the 9? Would you try to go long rail - short rail, and shoot the 9 in the corner closest to the CB? Would you try to go some variation of long rail - short rail, and miss the 9 and shoot it in the regular corner? Would you try going long rail-short rail-long rail and squeeze the CB between the 9 and rail to shoot it in the first corner? Other?

I marked the shot with doughnuts and will try the suggestions later.

Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 4.30.45 PM.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

peter_gunn

])3a]) s']['rok3
Silver Member
Depends on cloth condition. If wet and old - one rail with inside.
On dry conditions and newer cloth I will go below nine

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
WWYD. Playing 9 ball, got great on the 8, but a bit too steep "so it seems" to hold one rail.

Would you still try to hold 1 rail for the 9? Would you try to go long rail - short rail, and shoot the 9 in the corner closest to the CB? Would you try to go some variation of long rail - short rail, and miss the 9 and shoot it in the regular corner? Would you try going long rail-short rail-long rail and squeeze the CB between the 9 and rail to shoot it in the first corner? Other?

**Gnat's**-hair off dead center at 3 o'clock, follow stroke, long rail, long rail to diamond closest to side pocket, stop straight in @ 2 or 3 inches from the side pocket.

Last edited:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Soft shot with inside English.

Have the CB go off the rail behind the 8 just enough to get bridge hand on table bed.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I would be going 3 rails, ideally going around the 9 just missing it 9 for position into the cornerpocket the 9 is closest to, but if you graze or hit the 9 you're still pretty much guaranteed a decent shot.

You also seem to have very generous pockets, so I might also just bank the 8 and draw the white back a bit.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The 8's close enough to the pocket that inside follow is pretty reliable.

The long way it looks like I could stun/draw off the 8 and come long-short back across table above the 9 (with some side pocket nervousness).

pj
chgo

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
I wouldn't fight the table. 2 rails, stopping on top of 9 and shoot straight down into corner. Extremely high odds.

The only issue with loading up inside and coming off both long rails is that the inside will become outside on the 2nd rail. So just a little bit overcooked and you could end up center table.

Maybe it just needs a touch of inside, basically killing it off the 1st rail? If so, that is a good option. Hard to tell in pics.

Also like 3-rails as DD said, but again, need to see the angles.

Don't get hung up on thinking the 9 "belongs" in the upper right corner. It belongs in the hole that's easiest to get shape on - with YOUR stroke and skills.

Regardless, these 2 balls should be a 99.99% out.

-von

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for me, clearly just play off the long rail, with a "TOI"......even ending up in the middle of the table, I still have a fairly easy cut on the 9

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Firm stroke, generous amounts of inside spin. A little bit of top, but not much. 2 rails. Hit above the side pocket, center-ish of the end rail, cue ball comes back to center table.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Looks like you can hit it with stun and catch the long rail just short of the side pocket, go to the bottom of the table, and then back up to shoot the 9 in the natural pocket. You have about 2 feet of target zone with good shape on the 9.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The 8's close enough to the pocket that inside follow is pretty reliable.

The long way it looks like I could stun/draw off the 8 and come long-short back across table above the 9 (with some side pocket nervousness).

pj
chgo

Once again I'm with you Patrick. The simpler the better, less can go wrong. I'd slow roll the eight and let the cue ball run to somewhere near the third diamond in the middle of the table. If you can't make that shot you need weight! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
for me, clearly just play off the long rail, with a "TOI"......even ending up in the middle of the table, I still have a fairly easy cut on the 9

There you go! "Don't play shape if you already have it," Buddy Hall

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What happens if you play it softly without side spin and just hard enough to roll the eight into the pocket? It looks to me like you should have position. It does require judgement on the speed -- most will hit the shot too hard.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
What happens if you play it softly without side spin and just hard enough to roll the eight into the pocket? It looks to me like you should have position. It does require judgement on the speed -- most will hit the shot too hard.

Exactly why I go two rails, Bob. It's a bit of a sharp angle so I'm using that, plus 99.9% dead center to get it to the 2nd long rail ( absorbing some of the speed thus becoming a safety valve for the speed control ) and bounce up @ to the side, straight in, @ 2 ft away.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Exactly why I go two rails, Bob. It's a bit of a sharp angle so I'm using that, plus 99.9% dead center to get it to the 2nd long rail ( absorbing some of the speed thus becoming a safety valve for the speed control ) and bounce up @ to the side, straight in, @ 2 ft away.
It looks to me like a half-ball cut. If so, I think it's possible to hold the cue ball. Maybe the OP could try it from the real position.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
It looks to me like a half-ball cut. If so, I think it's possible to hold the cue ball. Maybe the OP could try it from the real position.

Yeah, agreed. And, for that matter, I agree with your call which would actually be my 2nd thought, using completely dead center and rolling diagonally toward the 9. The only reason it's not my first choice is, in my experience, rolling that diagonal path at that speed has turned up some pretty funny rolls from time to time. That's why my first choice is to hit it with a bit more authority, go 2 rails and let the 2nd rail kill the speed. That would be, for me, my most natural play.

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The contact would add running English, if you went one rail your angle on the nine might get tight and make a tough cut -
Soft bottom right kill shot will keep the angle on the nine more forgiving -

bill