Larry Gendler aka New York Larry

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
New York Larry is a member here. Goes by larry732.

Heck of a nice guy.

I bet Kickin' Chicken could share some stories.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
KC did a thread on Larry a few years ago....

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?414660&p=5405552#post5405552

Seems like New York Larry knows a few players...

B48103CD-FBE0-4FC6-9861-6E2509A991AB.jpeg

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
He helped with with how to photograph pool cues.
Larry is quite a photographer.
If it wasn't for Larry my pics would be worse than they seemingly are.
Before Larry my cue pics looked like I took them upside down, hanging from a tree.

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see Larry once or twice a week at Shooters in Southbury Ct. He's 92 and can shoot the pants off many of the younger guys. The pic posted above is me with Efren...not Larry. His stroke smooth as silk and he often uses a slip stroke. Mitch

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good to hear. I met a woman who took a lesson with him years ago. She thought he had passed away.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Good to hear. I met a woman who took a lesson with him years ago. She thought he had passed away.

I'm happy to report that rumors of his death have been greatly exaggerated. :)

NY Larry is my dear friend and sparring partner most Saturdays and he still has a lot of game in him at nearly 92 yo.

One day he was practicing by himself and a guy was standing nearby just watching him. After a while this guy compliments him on his stroke and Larry said "Thank you, do you play?"

It was Jose Parica. :rotflmao:

NY Larry plays at Shooters in Southington, CT usually twice a week in senior league and with me most Saturdays and at various senior centers two other days of the week plus gives lessons and, oh yeah, he also teaches in a Shooters kids pool clinic.

And yes, he's a pro photographer and does some occassional classes on that, as well.

Quite a dynamic fellow. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I see Larry once or twice a week at Shooters in Southbury Ct. He's 92 and can shoot the pants off many of the younger guys. The pic posted above is me with Efren...not Larry. His stroke smooth as silk and he often uses a slip stroke. Mitch

Oops.........

A5ACDF22-E001-4F61-8E33-68C866EBEF5D.jpeg

Mr Larry Gendler

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Thanks for the update on Larry and for sharing a few stories. Larry sounds like an amazing man.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Thanks for the update on Larry and for sharing a few stories. Larry sounds like an amazing man.

He sure is.

I know he's especially proud of his work with veterans, helping them to use pool as a gateway to social interactions plus his work with kids passing on his love for the game. :cool:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he was one of the guys that was there when my son and I were guests at the CT senior league. He showed me a kick error I made during a game.

In fact, that whole senior league is full of old farts with good strokes :):thumbup:

I may need to take another day off soon and go for another visit, we really enjoyed being there, meeting Efren was a nice bonus and they let a 19 yr old be an honorary retired guy for the day hehe.

Last edited:

larry732

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
N.Y.Larry

But he's dead right?

This is N.Y.Larry now on the other side, by the way it's terrible down here they only have bar tables.:grin-devilish: So nice of you to ask about me, so I am offering you the seven ball. I don't know how to collect so give the money to Kicken Chicken. He knows how to reach me. Thanks again for your interest Larry Gendler. AKA, N.Y.Larry

Last edited:

Barry Banks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played money ball with Larry at least once a week back in Brooklyn. He was always up for action. It's been over 20 years since I've seen him but I bet that if I walked into that CT pool room tomorrow he'd be ready for a game. Great guy with a smooth stroke.

larry732

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Larry AKA n.y. Larry

I played money ball with Larry at least once a week back in Brooklyn. He was always up for action. It's been over 20 years since I've seen him but I bet that if I walked into that CT pool room tomorrow he'd be ready for a game. Great guy with a smooth stroke.

Hi Barry, it's great hearing from you. I keep in touch with Artie Rauch and Lawrence
once in a while. Are you still playing pool? I was inducted into the New England Billiard Hall of Fame in 2016. How about that. My wife passed away 2 years ago and I miss her. Lets stay in touch. My phone is 860-398-0528

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played Larry Thursday I’ve missed one shot he beat me like I didn’t have arms