In stl who should i get pool lessons from

Stephenstill05

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay here is what I am looking for. I am probably around a B player as I do alright playing some A level players with the 8. I do not care about anybody's back history just their skill level to help me improve. And I do not want any comments of oh just gamble and you'll continue to improve.

I need someone that could help with the mental pressure of the game and also the consistency of my stroke. I pocket balls well and I stroke the ball well. I just want to do it consistently. I understand I'm not going to get a miracle lesson to make me a pro. But, I do want something that will keep me on the right track.

I have seen a few options that include:

Mark Wilson he is usually in and out of STL. have heard good things

Australian Oyster have heard good and bad but don't care just want the knowledge. I do not care about any personal life of anyone. I am only looking to improve myself.

David Sopolis but he is def not in area so i would want a weeks worth of lessons. somewhere around 30 hours to make it worth the trip.

Tony Robles but he is same as David sopolis about travel.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
in no particular order mark or david....go with mark first, then later get with david...you don't really have to choose, you can learn diff things from the both of them, each will have their fortes. Scott Lee is also another great instructor, he actually travels from place to place and does go by your area.

best wishes,
Grey Ghost

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
We've talked about this, briefly, in the past, but I'll go ahead and post it here as well. I think you have to figure out *what* you want to improve then find the instructor best suited for that.

Obviously, Mark Wilson can help you with anything - and has the reputation of doing just that. Some instructors are great for helping playing the game, making good pattern decisions, etc, while not worrying about the stroke. Others might get wrapped up in your stroking style and want to change it/work on it while not getting to the mental aspect.

I play with Stephen pretty frequently has really does have a good stroke; one of the best of all the players I spar with actually. It might not look "traditional", but when he chooses to load up a ball to keep spin after 3 or 4 rails, it has it. He should play 3C, imo, but that's another conversation. heh

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In St. Louis Mark Wilson would be the obvious choice. The other names mentioned are all good too. Good luck.

I probably play about your speed if you are ever in Indy give me a PM and we can play some if you are interested , 8,9 or 14.1

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Which ever instructor you choose, ask about videotaping your session. A well organized instructor will use video analysis as a tool.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
We've talked about this, briefly, in the past, but I'll go ahead and post it here as well. I think you have to figure out *what* you want to improve then find the instructor best suited for that.

Obviously, Mark Wilson can help you with anything - and has the reputation of doing just that. Some instructors are great for helping playing the game, making good pattern decisions, etc, while not worrying about the stroke. Others might get wrapped up in your stroking style and want to change it/work on it while not getting to the mental aspect.

I play with Stephen pretty frequently has really does have a good stroke; one of the best of all the players I spar with actually. It might not look "traditional", but when he chooses to load up a ball to keep spin after 3 or 4 rails, it has it. He should play 3C, imo, but that's another conversation. heh

Hi STLJohny,

I sent you a PM with my number if you want to get together and play sometime.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Okay here is what I am looking for. I am probably around a B player as I do alright playing some A level players with the 8. I do not care about anybody's back history just their skill level to help me improve. And I do not want any comments of oh just gamble and you'll continue to improve.

I need someone that could help with the mental pressure of the game and also the consistency of my stroke. I pocket balls well and I stroke the ball well. I just want to do it consistently. I understand I'm not going to get a miracle lesson to make me a pro. But, I do want something that will keep me on the right track.

I have seen a few options that include:

Mark Wilson he is usually in and out of STL. have heard good things

Australian Oyster have heard good and bad but don't care just want the knowledge. I do not care about any personal life of anyone. I am only looking to improve myself.

David Sopolis but he is def not in area so i would want a weeks worth of lessons. somewhere around 30 hours to make it worth the trip.

Tony Robles but he is same as David sopolis about travel.

Probably everyone knows my opinion. I'm as serious as a heart attack about pool. I travel to St. Louis several days a month (from Indianapolis) to get lessons from Mark Wilson. If I lived anywhere within 10 hours of St. Louis, it would still be Mark.

He gives lessons to champion players, average professionals, gifted amateurs, average amateurs, and basket case novices (I'm not saying which category I belong to, I hope its not the last one...). As long as you love pool, he will be your friend. There is no one that loves pool more than Mark; he has dedicated his life to playing, then teaching pool.

He has a proven method that can take any player to a high level of play...IF they have the dedication, desire, and time. It is NOT the only way to become good; just the easiest, fastest, and cheapest (but its not easy, not fast, and not cheap....as Luther Lassiter always said, "this game is tough as a cob"). It does not require "natural ability", but it does require a champions level of dedication.

bmsclayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marc Wilson

I took two lessons from Marc. He videotaped me first showed me some obvious problems with my stance and stroke. Gave good drills to fix them. Good positioning drills and helped me dramatically with my confindece and little things he says you won't forget. I was referred to him by Jerry Terbrock and Sam Devers. They are both great players and both guys I played with semi reguraly.They both said I should go to Marc. I am more than glad. 5-6 hour sessions for about $300. I was a c player now a low b player a year later.

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
There is a very qualified instructor named Charlie Darling in that area.

His new number after this monday will be (636) 239-5750

Last edited:

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
If your in that area (even if your not) you would be robbing yourself of a great opportunity if you didn't go see Mark Wilson.

I also think Blackjack would be a great choice.

As far as the AO, I think you know everyone's opinion of him, and it is for a reason. Could he help you? Possibly. And I know you have said that the other stuff doesn't matter to you, but I cant see supporting anyone that would pull the kind of stuff that he has pulled. There are too many great instructors out there to have to deal with,,,,, oh well, you get the point.

Woody

Stephenstill05

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys these opinions are awesome. Will mark help me with my mental game, etc. I believe this might be why I have problems sometimes. Also any opinions on Tony Robles?

So by far it looks like my original thought. Ship the money and lessons from Mark Wilson. Still would like to hear about Tony Robles.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In St Louis Mark Wilson is the most widely known but if I was going to spend that kind of money I would get on a plane to florida and seek out Ray Martin.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Guys these opinions are awesome. Will mark help me with my mental game, etc. I believe this might be why I have problems sometimes. Also any opinions on Tony Robles?

So by far it looks like my original thought. Ship the money and lessons from Mark Wilson. Still would like to hear about Tony Robles.

SS,
Mark believes that the mental game is just as important as physical skill - both are absolutely essential for the skilled player. A significant portion of his upcoming textbook is dedicated to a complete treatment of why the mental game is important; and how the amateur player can develop the mental game to a high level.

Mark competed as a professional player for a fair period, but I do not believe there is any pro player that has studied the mental game to the extent that he has.

I also do NOT think you will learn everything that he has to teach in one or two lessons. Though a deceptively simple game, pool is just WAY more difficult to learn than most people realize. A series of 6 to 8 lessons, with significant periods of intensely focused and regular practice between each lesson would be a bare minimum in my estimation if you are interested in attaining the knowledge and skills that could take you to a pro level of play. If you are just seeking the level of a good amateur player, then any lessons you can take will help some. Mark might disagree with this analysis, its my opinion.

I have had many lessons from pro's such as Danny D., Grady Mathews, Jeanette Lee, Johnny Archer, Earl Strickland, and George Breedlove. All have significant information to convey. I have learned very little from them that Mark could not give you as well or better (no disrespect to any of those players because they are great and inspirational - my gratitude to them is HUGE; but Mark has devoted his whole being to advancing the game of pool and the teaching of pool - his knowledge of pool is encyclopedic, and his teaching method is structured and effective...nuff said).

Last edited:

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Mental Pressure

As for myself, I did not get the 'grit' so much from Pool, but from other areas of my life growing up. From many competitive sports, my profession in Computers (developing large scale software systems), meditation techniques, and from martial arts. I was little physically growing up, so I had a lot to prove to myself and others.

Understand, that to stand up to great mental pressure, it may be necessary to change your 'emotional' makeup. Many players will never stand up to great pressure simply because of the way they are emotionally inside.

An instructor can tell you how to think about the game as you play it, or even tell you how you should feel inside, but it is something you have to come into on your own, and it doesn't happen after a few lessons.

MY landmark 'win' for standing up to mental pressure came on my first
$1,000 set where I had a very difficult 9 ball shot for the set, and I made the shot. That helped me a lot from then on.

The answer to standing up to Mental Pressure is Discipline.

Last edited:

stljohnny

Silver Member
Steve, I'm dead serious now... when you want to practice, really, truly, practice, stay away from the rail and sportscenter. there are too many distractions and anything you want to work on will be hindered. I have been trying to find a way to get one good night of practice there for 6 months now and it has yet to happen. I started going to Affton, down the street, for serious practice time. It's usually pretty empty and free of distractions. The perfect place to run drills, work on your pre-shot routine, and mental game. I think I have some material you should go over if it's the mental game you really want to work on. We should go practice together, seriously practice. Not practice-play - practice, the way it should be done, imo.

stljohnny

Silver Member
There is a very qualified instructor named Charlie Darling in that area.

His new number after this monday will be (636) 239-5750

Just wondering because I've never heard of him (not that I'm an encyclopedia of pool info, but i try to keep my ears open for all things in the area) - have you worked with him, or know what his qualifications are?