Euro Tour Shot Clock---JUMP CUE

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I enjoy the production, the announcing and allowing the players one extension per rack....BUT.

To help the game and the production I would add this.

Each player should be allowed a ten second Extension when they choose to use a jump cue.

It's Very Unprofessional for the sport.... to see a player RUN to get their jumper, then have MINIMAL time to execute their shot properly with a 35 second shot clock.

oknazevad

Registered
The player has to include that time limit in their decision to use the jump cue. No automatic extension. The point of a shot clock is to eliminate stalling and force players to make their decisions promptly. So if they need to learn to make the decision to use a jump cue sooner so they aren't rushing the shot itself, that's on them. Yes, they may have to make a less than ideal decision or shot. Oh well. This idea that the rules need to allow them perfect conditions constantly is foolish coddling that has taken too much of the human edge out of pro pool.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The player has to include that time limit in their decision to use the jump cue. No automatic extension. The point of a shot clock is to eliminate stalling and force players to make their decisions promptly. So if they need to learn to make the decision to use a jump cue sooner so they aren't rushing the shot itself, that's on them. Yes, they may have to make a less than idea decision or shot. Oh well. This idea that the rules need to allow them perfect conditions constantly is foolish coddling that has taken too much of the human edge out of pro pool.

I agree. I think the Euros have it right when it comes to the shot clock. Keeping the game moving has always been the priority, and Matchroom events always incorporate this philosophy. The exception is that, in refereed matches, the shot clock stops while the ref either a) removes the rack template or b) gets the bridge for the player requesting it, and that makes perfect sense, for a player should not be penalized if the ref is slow in attending to their duties.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Sometimes a player has to be down on their shot to make that decision. Seeing a player scurry just to get the other cue, hurry back, and keep and eye on the clock....Often.....shows the player has little time Left, to settle into the jump shot.

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Biggest issue of jump cue and the shot clock I have seen is people not having it assembled yet. Have your stuff ready to play a match and then shot clock shouldn’t be an issue!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sometimes a player has to be down on their shot to make that decision. Seeing a player scurry just to get the other cue, hurry back, and keep and eye on the clock....Often.....shows the player has little time Left, to settle into the jump shot.

I realize you have your experience and I have mine, but this does not jive with my experience. You very rarely see players rushing for the jump cue and coming back to the table hurried to play the shot.

For reasons I'll never understand, the shot clock went from 30 seconds to 40 about ten years ago, perhaps allowing for extra time to change equipment. Back when the shot clock was 30 seconds, Grady Matthews once said "If you can't think of something to do in 30 seconds, maybe you should consider doing something else for a living," a statement with which I fully agree. Slow play is a poison in our sport, and every single thing we do to make it more of a problem makes our sport worse.

Only Matchroom seems to understand that keeping the play moving is absolutely fundamental to the sport being marketable. At the Mosconi, we get a shot clock in every match, referees racking and no reracks, and only about ten minutes between stream table matches. The Mosconi show, as in other Matchroom events, moves on unlike any other, and sessions almost never run late.

Island Drive

Silver Member
I realize you have your experience and I have mine, but this does not jive with my experience. You very rarely see players rushing for the jump cue and coming back to the table hurried to play the shot.

For reasons I'll never understand, the shot clock went from 30 seconds to 40 about ten years ago, perhaps allowing for extra time to change equipment. Back when the shot clock was 30 seconds, Grady Matthews once said "If you can't think of something to do in 30 seconds, maybe you should consider doing something else for a living," a statement with which I fully agree. Slow play is a poison in our sport, and every single thing we do to make it more of a problem makes our sport worse.

Only Matchroom seems to understand that keeping the play moving is absolutely fundamental to the sport being marketable. At the Mosconi, we get a shot clock in every match, referees racking and no reracks, and only about ten minutes between stream table matches. The Mosconi show, as in other Matchroom events, moves on unlike any other, and sessions almost never run late.

I think this should be asked directly to a group of current pros, who get to the final 8 often. I know when the announcers talk about the jump cue, the dynamics of the moment increase as do the crowd excitement when the impossible seems to happen with great results.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jump cues are silly.

But then again, so are shot clocks.
Here you have efren and alex playing one pocket
-with a shot clock?

https://youtu.be/dBNWPzjJR8s

Speed chess is a separate sport.
What’s it called in snooker? Shoot-out.
A different game with entirely different rules.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoy the production, the announcing and allowing the players one extension per rack....BUT.

To help the game and the production I would add this.

Each player should be allowed a ten second Extension when they choose to use a jump cue.

It's Very Unprofessional for the sport.... to see a player RUN to get their jumper, then have MINIMAL time to execute their shot properly with a 35 second shot clock.
My solution: DITCH the jump cue. Works fine at Derby City. Jump with your player or learn to kick.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this should be asked directly to a group of current pros, who get to the final 8 often.

If pros need more time to do anything, drug testing should become mandatory.

But the sword cuts both ways. I honestly feel if you choose a dedicated jump stick, you should be prohibited from kicking for the rest of that game. Hey, they wanted the easy way right? There's plenty of games where handicaps punish during play, but not in professional billiards.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to miss your point. If the shooter hooks themselves and decides to use a jump cue to make the next shot why give them more time. If they play bad position they need to be penalized not given extra time.

Last edited: