Earthquake Vs. Jose Parica

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Another great Accu-Stats match from the vault. Earthquake Vs. Jose Parica! and as an added bonus you get a view of our very own JAM.

https://youtu.be/oQVnT7D-OYM

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,126

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Fun to watch...looked for the finals, but couldn't find it.

(edit) looked it up. No video found, but looks like Jeremy Jones beat Keith in the finals.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another great Accu-Stats match from the vault. Earthquake Vs. Jose Parica! and as an added bonus you get a view of our very own JAM.

https://youtu.be/oQVnT7D-OYM

Great match here between two legendary players. Keith was in his mid 40's and Parica was over 50, but they could still play at a very high level. These same two guys had tangled frequently over the years both in tournaments and money games with no clear favorite.

FYI, Keith's prime years were in his late teens to early 20's (before Parica arrived on these shores for an extended stay). He was pretty much unbeatable then. He continued to be a tournament road block for all the top players during the next two decades, but made fewer and fewer tournament appearances over time, sticking primarily to money games. Parica meanwhile had to play tournaments because all his action had dried up! He defeated EVERYONE at 9-Ball and Ten Ball for a good twenty years in this country and I mean EVERYONE! :yeah:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
1st few racks didn't look too good to want to watch the rest

Was Kieth a bit tipsy there?

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
I watched it yesterday and I think it is a recent post from accu-stats. Fun to watch and we saw both good and bad play. I'm surprised Keith was at .950 at one point, but when he did hit a gear—it was pretty fun to watch. Both of their breaks were weak compared to the players today even though they started making multiple balls in the later racks. I'll take Shanes break any day.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched it yesterday and I think it is a recent post from accu-stats. Fun to watch and we saw both good and bad play. I'm surprised Keith was at .950 at one point, but when he did hit a gear—it was pretty fun to watch. Both of their breaks were weak compared to the players today even though they started making multiple balls in the later racks. I'll take Shanes break any day.

Parica saw that Keith used semi cut break and copied it after his normal did not work..
It was intentional.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
now i see why he is a legend,
his behavior. i can’t watch him.

like some guy at a restaurant
eating with his mouth open-
he isn’t doing anything morally wrong,
but i have to leave.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
now i see why he is a legend,
his behavior. i can’t watch him.

like some guy at a restaurant
eating with his mouth open-
he isn’t doing anything morally wrong,
but i have to leave.

I hear you. Some parts of old don't look right through our current lens. Minnesota Fats makes me cringe.

Allow me to tell you something about keith, I'v shared it here before:
I am playing him in a tournament, not early round and might have been in the 1 loss side. I'd seen him and played him quite a few times before the below.

1p and he is winning pretty handily, enough ahead that he responds favorably to my questions about his shots and mine. WE are mid to late in a game and he's ahead (again:angry:;)). I start running balls and there are only two left and i need them both. I know the shot is to kick bank a ball from his hi-side and allow CB to drift across table for the last ball and ask him about it.

Keith agrees it is the right shot and I take it. I hit is so wrong that he jumps up from his chair and begins to grab the ball, having to stop himself from interfering with the match. I like to think it was to reset the shot, but maybe he was going to throw it at me as punishment for my duff.

I was/am barely more than a face in a crowd to him, but he cared enough about that single shot to want to see it done right, so much that he momentarily forgot the context or the shot.

Keith is a man for pool. No doubt about it.

He's imperfect and envied in many varied ways, just like the rest of us.

He's good people, by me.

Shot was similar to the pic and my pocket is L) side, not shown in pic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200903-163403.jpg
    Screenshot_20200903-163403.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 678
Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oh- I also played Parica a few times over the years and one think sticks out in my mind...He broke first, broke dry and the 1 was straight in, about 18" from pocket.

With about 376 people watching, i shot that ball into the rail about a foot from the pocket. Dammit.

I take my deserved place in the chair and my buddy puts his hand on my shoulder and says, "yeah, he wins a lot of games because he is Jose Parica".

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
just into the second rack but....

Not being a student of the game until the last 8 to 10 years. I've heard of, but never watched McCready play. If this is what it was like, that's painful

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
oh- I also played Parica a few times over the years and one think sticks out in my mind...He broke first, broke dry and the 1 was straight in, about 18" from pocket.

With about 376 people watching, i shot that ball into the rail about a foot from the pocket. Dammit.

I take my deserved place in the chair and my buddy puts his hand on my shoulder and says, "yeah, he wins a lot of games because he is Jose Parica".

I played Parica once, at Shooters in Riverside, CA. I lost 9-6, after being tied at 4-4. My claim to fame against him is that I got him on 3 fouls in one game. He just laughed when it happened. This was in 2003, just a few weeks before he finished 2nd to JJ in the U.S. Open.