Pool Table in Building - Issue with light ?

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

My Son got a 16x24 Building that he wanted to put a pool table in and so he did that. I went with Him to talk to the Place who builds them. They quoted a price and with that included a free sunlight , it serves as the ridgecap that runs along the top so it lets more light in during the day . But Since he got the table in there he installed a light so it is not needed anymore. The problem is that at some point when the Sun is facing it it put a glare on the table and it feels pretty warm with the sunlight. Will this damage anything or hurt anything . The only remedy is to remove the Sunlight and install a new metal ridgecap and do away with it or figure out a way to at least tint the middle section over the pool table. What do you guys think . Thanks

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd do away with the skylight, not only will the direct sunlight fade the cloth, but it will also cause the wood on the rails and skirts to fade.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is 24 foot long and yes not very wide I can for $42 get the metal ridge cap to replace the skylight. If I could get up there with a ladder I could use window tinting I am sure or maybe some blackout spray. Maybe just as simple to replace the skylight with a metal ridge cap

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is 24 foot long and yes not very wide I can for $42 get the metal ridge cap to replace the skylight. If I could get up there with a ladder I could use window tinting I am sure or maybe some blackout spray. Maybe just as simple to replace the skylight with a metal ridge cap

Metal ridge cap probably makes sense.

I've always wondered in the pre-electricity days what pool halls were like. I'm old enough to remember kerosene lamps. That would be a dimly lit pool hall.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, I'd leave it. Having some natural light is worth the tradeoff of a little possible fading.

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My pool room is on the back/north side of the house so it doesn't get the sun shining in but has 4 windows and a slider that let in a lot of light. I have shades for the windows but only use the one on the west side for the setting sun in the evening because we like looking out to the woods in back to see deer & other critters. I know it probably fades the cloth faster but I've decided to live with it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

My Son got a 16x24 Building that he wanted to put a pool table in and so he did that. I went with Him to talk to the Place who builds them. They quoted a price and with that included a free sunlight , it serves as the ridgecap that runs along the top so it lets more light in during the day . But Since he got the table in there he installed a light so it is not needed anymore. The problem is that at some point when the Sun is facing it it put a glare on the table and it feels pretty warm with the sunlight. Will this damage anything or hurt anything . The only remedy is to remove the Sunlight and install a new metal ridgecap and do away with it or figure out a way to at least tint the middle section over the pool table. What do you guys think . Thanks
Cloth will fade and rubber could get cooked. Other than that you're ok. Seriously, if you knew a pool table was going in WHY get a sunlight?????????????

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cloth will fade and rubber could get cooked. Other than that you're ok. Seriously, if you knew a pool table was going in WHY get a sunlight?????????????

The same reason they cleaned pool balls with dish wash soap and opted for cloth that won't last as long or play as good as 860HR. Par for the course, if you ask me.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Haven't you ever miscued in life. Or wished you'd of taken another route to the object/ball. :thumbup:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[/B][/U]
Haven't you ever miscued in life. Or wished you'd of taken another route to the object/ball. :thumbup:
HUH???????? The building was intended from jump-street to house a pool table. Why would you choose one with a skylight? That's more than any 'miscue' imo. Bad/ill-informed planning is more like it. Call 'em like i see' em.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reason for the Sunlight was it was Free and already in the Building. It was built for another Customer who backed out at the last minute and he bought it with a really nice discount. A offer he could not refuse. So it was already there and the building was brand new. The place were it was built said they would sell me the ridge cap at cost it is just a matter of switching it out. I just wondered if there was a easier option like I seen some spray tint that may be enough to calm down the glare. Btw For all you Championship cloth haters don’t get your panties in a bunch , the building needs to be finished out inside with electric and walls and insulation and such. He bought the table used and the cloth is worn out. He got the cloth Really cheap. Cheap enough that once the building is complete and he can maintain a more stable temp inside he is going to get Simon 860. But he has to save up to get material to do that. So the Championship cloth will serve its purpose just fine and if it gets to cold or hot then if the cloth gets damaged or comes loose from temp going up or down he is not out to much. I did mean to offend you , the Pool Masters that have to have the best of the best. My Apologies. It reminds me of what my Dad Said , he was a pool hustler and made a a lot of money doing so back in the 60’s and 70’s. I have been told by several people that he was one of the best players around and was unbeatable back in his day. He had a old house cue that he sanded the shaft part down and black electric tape were the handle was for a wrap. I ask him why he never bought a nice 2 piece cue and he just smiled and said I never thought I needed one one because I was never beat by one. Guys would cone in with fancy cases and fancy 2 piece cues and win the tournament and then I would wait till after the tournament and then take the money they won. You don’t need all that to be good.