Blue Circle cue balls and faith in Mankind

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
As some of you know, @ a month or so ago, I started a thread called "best cue ball ever", regarding the cue ball I grew up playing with ( Blue Circle from Centennial sets ). During the course of the thread life, someone sent me a link to Brunswick's site for the page that sold cue balls and ball sets. And there was a Blue Circle. So I ordered one. While I was waiting for it ( Brunswick dropped the {cue} ball, so to speak and screwed up the order so it took two weeks to get here ), two different things happened. One, someone here told me they were gonna send me this: http://www.cheapcues.com/ballsak/
and asked for my address. After going back n forth with him privately ( I felt a bit odd accepting such a thing from someone here, so insisted on reimbursing, he said no, I said yes, and on... until I just said THANK YOU, and accepted his kind offer ), I sent him my address and sure enough, a few days later, it came in the mail.

The second was, someone offered in private ( he owns a pool room ) to send me one of his Blue Circles he has in storage that's practically new, if Brunswick sent me the wrong cue ball or anything else unlooked-for happened. I thought THAT was extremely kind as well, to just offer that out of the blue. So, the Brunswick ball came, it was new, it was a Blue Circle and I was pleased as punch. So, privately, I got back with him and asked if I could get one of his spares as I would really like to have an extra one. He replied, "Sure, I'll pick out a good one for you." I asked how much did he want for it. He ignored me. I asked again, he ignored me again. So he asked for my address and five days later ( today ) a small box comes in the mail with **TWO** BRAND NEW Blue Circles! ***SERIOUSLY***???

Wow... so as most of you all anywhere near my age ( I'm retired ) know very well, it's tough to get to this age and not be the teensiest bit jaded. Especially as pool players... but wow. My faith in humankind has been restored. Neither one of those people had to do that, needless to say. But they both did. And not only did they both *tell* me what they were gong to do, but then they actually DID it.

Wow...

I am not identifying either of them as I don't want to invade their privacy. But they certainly know who they are.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
michael you are a good guy and have alot to share
you deserve any kindness that goes your way
jmho...:smile:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
michael you are a good guy and have alot to share
you deserve any kindness that goes your way
jmho...:smile:

Yeah, sure... and don't tell me. You got some "over-water" property in Brooklyn you're looking to sell, CHEAP!

uh huh... suurreeeeeeeeeeee! :wink: :wink: :duck: :wink: :wink:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, sure... and don't tell me. You got some "over-water" property in Brooklyn you're looking to sell, CHEAP!

i do....:eek:
how did you know...:grin-square:
are you interested ??......:grin:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I was practising in Brooklyn .....working on my bridge...
...somebody tried to sell me one.:eek:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little true story about "blue circle" cueballs and gambling.
Leo is a pretty fair player. Always in action,cheap action ,bread route action. He is playing someone I have never seen in our poolhall. They are just playing $5 9ball but leo takes him off for about 260. Couple of nights later same thing. I sat and watched some. New guy is *****ing because he cant draw his rock"in this damn place". Well when I see Leo again he says guy lost 280 and wanted to go play somewhere else when the hall kicked them out well after 2am closing. Leo laughs when I say norice you got the blue circle on him. Leo comments guy doesnt have a clue.
Week later I go to the hall around.10 and Leo is telling the guy he cant play all night. Guy is pissed but Leo says hey play this guy,we play all the time. Guy asks if I will gamble, Leo says we dont play for funsies.
I introduce myself say yes 9ball for 5 Texas express rules. Go ahead and break them while I put my cue together. He breaks makes a ball and runs out. Now I havent ever seen him ever break and run so I am a little suprised. He breaks the next rack shoots a couple balls and overdraws for position. Plays a safe,I kick at a ball and miss. Bih he runs out. He breaks dry. I shoot a shot with a lot of top to go 3 rails and break out the 2. Whitey goes nowhere. I kick and miss. I pick up the cueball,look it over and see thatLeo has abscounded the blue circle. I look toward the large windows and there is Leo laughing his ass off.
I beat the guy out of 140 or so and he says "I aint ever playing anybody with that efn blue ball again".

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As some of you know, @ a month or so ago, I started a thread called "best cue ball ever", regarding the cue ball I grew up playing with ( Blue Circle from Centennial sets ). During the course of the thread life, someone sent me a link to Brunswick's site for the page that sold cue balls and ball sets. And there was a Blue Circle. So I ordered one. While I was waiting for it ( Brunswick dropped the {cue} ball, so to speak and screwed up the order so it took two weeks to get here ), two different things happened. One, someone here told me they were gonna send me this: http://www.cheapcues.com/ballsak/
and asked for my address. After going back n forth with him privately ( I felt a bit odd accepting such a thing from someone here, so insisted on reimbursing, he said no, I said yes, and on... until I just said THANK YOU, and accepted his kind offer ), I sent him my address and sure enough, a few days later, it came in the mail.

The second was, someone offered in private ( he owns a pool room ) to send me one of his Blue Circles he has in storage that's practically new, if Brunswick sent me the wrong cue ball or anything else unlooked-for happened. I thought THAT was extremely kind as well, to just offer that out of the blue. So, the Brunswick ball came, it was new, it was a Blue Circle and I was pleased as punch. So, privately, I got back with him and asked if I could get one of his spares as I would really like to have an extra one. He replied, "Sure, I'll pick out a good one for you." I asked how much did he want for it. He ignored me. I asked again, he ignored me again. So he asked for my address and five days later ( today ) a small box comes in the mail with **TWO** BRAND NEW Blue Circles! ***SERIOUSLY***???

Wow... so as most of you all anywhere near my age ( I'm retired ) know very well, it's tough to get to this age and not be the teensiest bit jaded. Especially as pool players... but wow. My faith in humankind has been restored. Neither one of those people had to do that, needless to say. But they both did. And not only did they both *tell* me what they were gong to do, but then they actually DID it.

Wow...

I am not identifying either of them as I don't want to invade their privacy. But they certainly know who they are.

So, is the cue ball all that you remembered it to be?

If so, where do I buy one?

Michael Andros

Silver Member
So, is the cue ball all that you remembered it to be?

If so, where do I buy one?

Hey Haole - It hits 'em GREAT. And it *is* different, just not a whole lot, than the Aramith Super Pro. We were fooling around with them side by side and the Blue Circle looked to me as if it was slightly larger. So we measured them side by side under the rack and sure enough, the BC is @ 1/32 ( or so ) of an inch higher profile. Which of course means it doesn't draw quiitteee as well but I like the BC hit better, regardless. May be simply mental ( nostalgia ) but, whatever. I can still draw the rock more than well enough.

I'd say go for it, buy one. You can get it here:

https://www.brunswickbilliards.com/centennial-pocket-balls-premium/

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Michael, it would be a good idea to post pictures of what you've gotten. That way, those of us who know the blue circle and others, will tell you, in no uncertain terms, whether you got the golden goose or not. Up to you.

All the best,
WW

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Michael, it would be a good idea to post pictures of what you've gotten. That way, those of us who know the blue circle and others, will tell you, in no uncertain terms, whether you got the golden goose or not. Up to you.

All the best,
WW

That a good idea. WW... I'll have to do that over the next few days.

WW - Here ya go. Anyone else, feel free to toss yer .02 in. The one in the middle is the one I ordered straight from Brunswick. The other two are the ones the kind gentleman was nice enough to send. And I believe he told me ( I could be wrong but I don't think so ) they are both from Aramith Centennial sets. There is absolutely a noticeable ( but slight ) difference in the blue circles. The two mates are identical, the new one is, well... different. Not much, but... Again, according to Brunswick, in person ( via phone ), the new one is definitely from new Centennial sets. The mates on either side, their circles look black in this photo but they're definitely blue, just a tad darker than the new one. They're also both from Centennial sets from 20+ years ago.

a.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
mumble mumble tasteless joke about generous gifts of three balls and a ball sack...

Right? Ballsak... I thought that was hysterical. But, it's totally cool. I wish it was a 9ball with yellow trim but the 8 with the red trim is cool too. And the case itself is actually sturdy. I thought it was just going to be like... cloth. But it's not. It's very cool. I had never even heard of one before. Clips right onto my Katana 2 x 4.

Last edited: