run stoppers

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Also, one of the best tips I got about break shots in general is to shoot as if the rack isn't there. Shoot it like it's a 9 ball position shot and you need to pop the cue ball to get it move all the way to the other end of the table.
that's wht I figured out myselfnot long ago. I noticed that every time on a break shot I was pointing my eyes on the rack the same moment I hit the cue ball, that is to see how it enters the balls and so on. No wonder, I missed the shot way too often. Now when I concentrate on one ball only (all rack study and preparations done before approaching the shot) I'm more successful with them

sausage

Banned
this morn i ran three racks and what stopped my run was scratching on a nice break-ball. i'm concentrating on soft, smooth shooting, exact hit on clusters during a secondary break-shot and knowing where the balls are going, taking my time and reduced cue movement . when i'm watching these things, i get higher overall runs and i don't get so wound up when i loose a rack because it's not from being totally stupid.

as far as missing easy shots goes. i played a guy in dallas who's has a good, natural stroke and is a solid one-pocket player. ( the same guy who had his cue dented by the "pro" playing 9ball. he missed a gimmie and out of frustration jumped up and down saying; "why can't i play this game!". lol... i may have told this story before....:sorry:

deebee53

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I guess, I can get into this one b/c it seems like I mess up a lot but the one that really gets me is. I seem to get out of line completely on the ball before the key ball (the 13th ball). That leads to a poor shot on the break ball. Which ends runs or causes poor breaks. All leads to running many, many one rack runs.

+1

Same for me, well except when I jar an easy shot. I do that a lot too.

sausage

Banned
CreeDO: i was one of the few players in north dallAss who played 14.1. there were only three people that i knew who did. Me, dick lane and John McChessney. unfortunately, John died so that leaves me and dick. lol.... oh, and 14.1 Straightman.

as a side note; there are classes from college that i aced but remember NOTHNIG about them. by contrast, i remember every utterance that dick told me about pool.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
CreeDO: i was one of the few players in north dallAss who played 14.1. there were only three people that i knew who did. Me, dick lane and John McChessney. unfortunately, John died so that leaves me and dick. lol.... oh, and 14.1 Straightman.

as a side note; there are classes from college that i aced but remember NOTHNIG about them. by contrast, i remember every utterance that dick told me about pool.

Sausage: You are a lucky guy. I just re-watched the Dick Lane Johnny Archer player review dvd yesterday. Very sensible and logical guy, that Dick Lane.
He even appears to have some flaws in his stroke, but he uses it very well and does what he needs to do to keep the patterns going.

Tell us some things that Dick told you that helped your game.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Dick Lane

Sausage: You are a lucky guy. I just re-watched the Dick Lane Johnny Archer player review dvd yesterday. Very sensible and logical guy, that Dick Lane.
He even appears to have some flaws in his stroke, but he uses it very well and does what he needs to do to keep the patterns going.

Tell us some things that Dick told you that helped your game.

Dennis, that is my favorite Accu Stat video (Lane vs Archer). I have play Dick a few times over the years and have been his "rack boy".....LOL
Truly, but I learned a lot and he did not mind at all me asking questions.
He is a 100% gentlemen & a Great player.
He once paid me and this other guy both a good sum of money for us to play each other a game of straight pool. The winner got so much & the loser got a little less. I told him that I did not want his money but he really insisted. He did that with a few other players too over a few weeks. He just wanted to watch some 14.1 being played.
He will always take time to come over and shake a person's hand if he see them in a room that he knows.

sausage

Banned
straightman: i never got the privilege of playing with dick but i have dreams of doing so. of course in my dreams the pool table turns into a shuffleboard-like playing surface with no rails or similar strangeness. it's quite unsatisfactory. lol.... the few times when i had an opportunity to play him, i had engagements. dick used to hang out at the clicks on northwest hwy? but now that building is a funky, ethnic, pool hall. the alpha clicks where i used to play closed too. where does the mightly, lane hang out now?

dmgwalsh: the things that dick told me that i still work on today are;

#1. practice your weaknesses until they become your strengths.
#2. learn how to shoot left-handed. (i'm still working hard on this but after watching Segal shoot break-shots left-handed, i'm feeling rather inadequate. )

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Dick Lane sounds like a classy guy. I always kind of identified with him after watching that same accustats match because we have a couple of things in common... we're both good at explaining things and we both have that little shake in our stroke sometimes. I'm not as classy though, the idea that he'd pay 2 guys to match up is amazing. Makes me wish I could have met him.