AzBilliards.com  
Register Blogs Classifieds FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Talk To A Mechanic
Reload this Page hardened bondo rising up at the seam

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
hardened bondo rising up at the seam
Old
  (#1)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Lightbulb hardened bondo rising up at the seam - 05-11-2018, 08:29 PM

This has happened a few time to me, i know sounds insane

But the seams were pretty good and flush, but on one end i felt something

I hit it with a plastic hammer and it goes away, tapping it down , probably crushing it

Ive also taken the cloth off before to see it with my eyes as bondo, hardened bondo thats seeped up

Why in the world would it happen?

My carom table isnt even heated

Support the growth of Carom in the us
Buy your self a Texas Carom club shirt and become an honorary member

http://forums.azbilliards.com/album....ictureid=17889
http://forums.azbilliards.com/album....ictureid=17890

ask me about balkline and 1 cushion billiards

Old
  (#2)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

05-11-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Carom Club View Post
This has happened a few time to me, i know sounds insane

But the seams were pretty good and flush, but on one end i felt something

I hit it with a plastic hammer and it goes away, tapping it down , probably crushing it

Ive also taken the cloth off before to see it with my eyes as bondo, hardened bondo thats seeped up

Why in the world would it happen?

My carom table isnt even heated
Without super gluing the slates together, you're doing nothing to keep the frame from expanding and contracting with the change in humidity which will happen. When the frame expands, the bondo won't hold it together, so it breaks apart at the seam, then when the frame shrinks, that pulls the slates together...pushing the bondo, just like wax...up out of the seam.

Old
  (#3)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2018, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Without super gluing the slates together, you're doing nothing to keep the frame from expanding and contracting with the change in humidity which will happen. When the frame expands, the bondo won't hold it together, so it breaks apart at the seam, then when the frame shrinks, that pulls the slates together...pushing the bondo, just like wax...up out of the seam.
maybe the bondo guys should switch to belzona! ROFLMAO

Old
  (#4)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Ill remember that next time im setting the slates thanks

Old
  (#5)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

05-13-2018, 09:19 AM

About 6" in from the outside edge of the seams, and another 6" in the center of the seams.

Old
  (#6)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline

05-13-2018, 09:34 AM

Just generic super glue?
The stuff i use for cue tips?

Sometimes ill drip some on a fabric and smoke will rise up lol
A little hard to get off my finger tips for a few days, its gotten on my jeans and forgetabout it, hard spot thats not going away

Old
  (#7)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

05-13-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Just generic super glue?

The stuff i use for cue tips?

A little hard to get off my finger tips for a few days, its gotten on my jeans and forgetabout it, hard spot thats not going away

A medium viscosity works well, a thin version wonít work as well imop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old
  (#8)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member
Ssonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond repute

05-13-2018, 08:59 PM

"6" in" = a strip/section 6" wide starting right at the edge on each side? Or come in 6" and glue for how wide? Saw somewhere an installer used tabs of typing paper about 6" in but only 1" or so wide, and saturated those to insure wicking to the bottom?

Seems like it would be a good idea to keep glue a good distance from any dowels, or am i just being superstitious?

Do you use a heat gun & knife to take the slate apart to move a table? Solvent? Or does it just pop apart? Or?

Not at all a table mechanic, but mentioned in another post I used to make parts and tooling for a guy who built tables and serviced commercial tables in PA/MD/WVA. Also mentioned failing to pay any close attention when i had the opportunity. But did recall that John hated when people began using superglue, so that kind of stuck in the back of my mind. I took a heat gun along on the table my wife and i bought for ourselves last Sunday. Can't be sure it had superglue under the bondo, but it seemed to, and the heat gun was a life saver to get the knife started. (I've worked & machined slate for sinks and counters, did not overheat the slate which can spall it. But warming along the joints made a big difference).

Thanks for continuing my education!
smt

Last edited by Ssonerai; 05-13-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Trip to TX
Old
  (#9)
yesyura
AzB Silver Member
yesyura has a reputation beyond reputeyesyura has a reputation beyond reputeyesyura has a reputation beyond reputeyesyura has a reputation beyond reputeyesyura has a reputation beyond reputeyesyura has a reputation beyond reputeyesyura has a reputation beyond reputeyesyura has a reputation beyond reputeyesyura has a reputation beyond reputeyesyura has a reputation beyond reputeyesyura has a reputation beyond repute

Trip to TX - 05-14-2018, 06:48 AM

I will come to Houston in July. Let you know when you can see how it works.

Old
  (#10)
GoldCrown
Be Creative...play 1P
GoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond repute

05-15-2018, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Smoke...The thin CA does that for some reason. I used the Thin with a white paper towel and got smokey real fast. I stick with medium.
Sticking to hands... I wear Coscto's Nitrile gloves when using CA. They seem to be ok. Latex gloves are no good...they dissolve and get stuck to the hands.

Player: Schon H4L w/ REVO
Case:JB 4/8 Hybrid
Favorite Game...Pocket a Piece
Instructional source: "One Pocket...A Game of Controlled Aggression" by Tom Wirth. This book is a players best friend.
1P Instructor: Tom Wirth
Stroke Instructor: Scott Lee
Honorary member TCC
I need more cues like a snail needs airbrakes

Old
  (#11)
greyghost
exile

05-15-2018, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCrown View Post
Smoke...The thin CA does that for some reason. I used the Thin with a white paper towel and got smokey real fast. I stick with medium.

Sticking to hands... I wear Coscto's Nitrile gloves when using CA. They seem to be ok. Latex gloves are no good...they dissolve and get stuck to the hands.

CA when mixed with cotton causes a quick exothermal reaction....cotton loves to hold moisture.

Lol I spilled a quart at my old place one time and glued my foot to my sandal man Iím glad I had acetone lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old
  (#12)
bradsh98
Bradshaw Billiard Service
bradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond repute

05-15-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssonerai View Post
"6" in" = a strip/section 6" wide starting right at the edge on each side? Or come in 6" and glue for how wide? Saw somewhere an installer used tabs of typing paper about 6" in but only 1" or so wide, and saturated those to insure wicking to the bottom?

Seems like it would be a good idea to keep glue a good distance from any dowels, or am i just being superstitious?

Do you use a heat gun & knife to take the slate apart to move a table? Solvent? Or does it just pop apart? Or?

Not at all a table mechanic, but mentioned in another post I used to make parts and tooling for a guy who built tables and serviced commercial tables in PA/MD/WVA. Also mentioned failing to pay any close attention when i had the opportunity. But did recall that John hated when people began using superglue, so that kind of stuck in the back of my mind. I took a heat gun along on the table my wife and i bought for ourselves last Sunday. Can't be sure it had superglue under the bondo, but it seemed to, and the heat gun was a life saver to get the knife started. (I've worked & machined slate for sinks and counters, did not overheat the slate which can spall it. But warming along the joints made a big difference).

Thanks for continuing my education!
smt

Drywall tape works well. Depending on how the slates were originally mounted to the frame, you may need to add additional layers.

See additional photos of the process here.

Separation is easy. No need for heat. Unless you use an excess of glue, the paper will pull right apart nicely. Clean it up with the quick scrape of a razor blade or chisel.

Geoff Bradshaw
Bradshaw Billiard Service

I play with a Hammond Custom Cue. You should too.

Last edited by bradsh98; 05-15-2018 at 06:26 AM.

Old
  (#13)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member
Ssonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond repute

05-16-2018, 08:27 AM

Wow -thanks for taking the time to post that. It's a great resource for people like me. Highly interested but starting from a base with too little knowlege.

smt

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: