What in the world is going on?

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I found I struggle with cutting a ball frozen on rail to my left if using low left( assume I have to for position). Anyways I know if I were to use running English I would have to hit ball and rail at same time and aim to hit a hair fuller to compensate for deflection. Anyways what was surprising is I am only able to consistently execute the low left shot if I aim the same way as I do for the running English. In theory I should have to compensate for cb deflecting to the right but somehow works when I compensate the opposite way. Weird!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I found I struggle with cutting a ball frozen on rail to my left if using low left( assume I have to for position). Anyways I know if I were to use running English I would have to hit ball and rail at same time and aim to hit a hair fuller to compensate for deflection. Anyways what was surprising is I am only able to consistently execute the low left shot if I aim the same way as I do for the running English. In theory I should have to compensate for cb deflecting to the right but somehow works when I compensate the opposite way. Weird!
Try shooting harder. Squirt will dominate.

If you play spot shots are you more accurate to one side?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's because when you use low inside to make a ball frozen to the rail, you are actually shooting the shot rail-first. Low inside is my favorite way of shooting that shot. Next is high inside.

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish it was easier to post diagrams on here. What I’m saying is on this particular shot I have to aim as if I’m deflecting to the left as opposed to aiming to compensate for deflecting to right which in theory is the right way. I’m assuming it’s a perception issue for that particular shot that I have to aim technically wrong to make up for my particular perception on that shot, but I was surprised and I say this as a long time player

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about explaining it in terms of inside or outside side spin? Which one are you using for the shot? Forget about compensating for a minute.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Max Eberle frowns upon that measure man 😀

Its important to keep it in mind when playing one pocket as the game sometimes seem to take forever.
I played a game last week and when it was over my opponant said it took 45 minutes.
I dont remeber who won but at $5 a game it was worth 11 cents per minute.No wonder i shake at those stakes.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In a video Tor Lowry demonstrates that the position for that shot is very close to straight low. The left does complicate the shot because of squirt and the reaction with the rail if you hit slightly rail first. The outside spin does widen the angle a little and there may be times when that is critical but you might experiment with and without it to see how close you can come without it.

In my generation most of what we all learned about pool was trial and error and from friends. Now days there are all the training videos to disprove so many long held beliefs. I don't think I ever hit a draw rail shot without side spin for years.

All that said, I have shot that shot for years and simply developed a feel for it. I actually am more accurate with it then without the left. I can't say for sure but I think I hit slightly ball first, just like I hit slightly rail first when I use inside. Bob Jewett could comment on that but I think that is correct. Inside it is slightly rail first, outside ball first. Simultaneously may be a goal but is almost impossible, like a true split hit.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Inside it is slightly rail first, outside ball first.
I try to ignore the rail and aim these shots like any other - a little thin with inside and a little full with outside. Works just like rail first or ball first but I don't have to change how I see it.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Got to my table. Only from left side does issue occur
Well, then, you have a fundamental mechanics problem since shots to the left are different from shots to the right. It may be that you are not coming straight through on the final, forward stroke.