A Shot I Struggle With

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would try and get slow left spin going early, but taking a direct line into the rail so it would come sipinning off at an angle rather than spin off the ob at an angle. It’s just the first thing that comes into my head without going to the table to check. Or try and thread the needle between the nine and two to other rail, to shoot the two in the side.

Last edited:
This is a tricky shot. The first inclination as you mentioned is little left. Problem is you are trying to hold the cue ball for shape on the 2. This leads to a very slow roll on the one. When hitting with left and hitting slow you will throw the 1 off. Usually enough to miss. I would do one of two things depending on how I am shooting. First would be hit this shot with draw. Enough to use the tangent line and come off the rail. This will leave you a little longer but help insure you get that one in the hole. Takes a a touchy draw stroke but you can put a little more speed on the shot. Second is do what Knels said. Try to thread the needle. Again this allows a little firmer stroke and even if you bump the 2 (which might not be a bad idea) you may end up with a better shot on the 2.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i would stick to vertical axis draw to get to mid table
that lets you get again with vertical axis draw to make the 2 and get on the 4
why complicate things with spin??
how long have you been playing and taking lessons ?
just curious

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would stick to vertical axis draw to get to mid table
that lets you get again with vertical axis draw to make the 2 and get on the 4
why complicate things with spin??
how long have you been playing and taking lessons ?
just curious

The other factor to consider with this approach, or low left, is speed control. This is a fairly thin cut shot on the 1B and it wouldn't take much to overrun the target area and get snookered behind the 4B.

As Johnnybgood says, this can be a tricky shot.

luhta

Registered
Am i the only one who sees this shot (depending little on table condition) going 3 rails for shape? Especially under pressure where you could just stroke it nice and firm instead of mentioned earlier playing it with touchie low left. Guess in the end its all about personal preferences.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Am i the only one who sees this shot (depending little on table condition) going 3 rails for shape? Especially under pressure where you could just stroke it nice and firm instead of mentioned earlier playing it with touchie low left. Guess in the end its all about personal preferences.

More often than not it’ll draw short or run long as hell...there’s not much angle or rail to pull it around either with a firmer hit or a ton of spin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
More often than not it’ll draw short or run long as hell...there’s not much angle or rail to pull it around either with a firmer hit or a ton of spin

I’d play it with a tipish of right and have opti n to go in quite a few pockets except 2....I’ll take those odds

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hit a lot of these type of shots with extreme draw and inside english to kill it off the cushion, med soft stroke. Haven't tried this exact shot...might be too steep, but it looks like it'll work just fine.

Update: mucho draw, no inside, medium-soft stroke (just firm enough for the backspin to keep until it strikes the ob). It's a very consistent stroke for me. If it were a little thinner of a cut (this one is a touch thinner than a 3/8 hit) I'd go for straight across. I don't have the speed control to hit the multi rail draw shot consistently, so I chose a simpler shot.

https://youtu.be/pqrMAAMeslg

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i set the balls up as best i could from the diagram
at the table looked like i needed alittle left english along with the draw about 8 oclock
here is the set up and result on the first try
no problem getting to middle-ish of table to have angle on 2 to draw for position on the 3 in same pocket
drp layout.JPG

drp result.jpg

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Crossing the line

I tried this a bunch of times and the easiest way to get good on the two is to use maximum high, vertical axis and softly come straight across the table between the 9 and the 2. The bottom side rail helps slow the cue ball down, and the cue ball is on the line of the shot to the top side.

Anything coming back means the cue ball is crossing the line of the shot on the two and trying to land on an exact spot in the middle of the table is double tough. Now add draw and spin and the shot becomes really hard.

Going forward softly with no spin looks to me like the easiest option and is repeatable.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What 3 rails?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
How do you posters play this shot? How do you get from the 1B to position on the 2B into the corner?

Seems like a little slow, low left would do the trick but I a2lways seem to have difficulty with this shot .

Comments?

r/DCP

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/444f4.png

Since your cue ball is enough above the one ball....when you cut the one ball into the hole, your cue ball naturally tracks slightly down table. This allows for a lag cut with 12 o'clock High cueing, the simplest of all shots. The forward movement of the cue ball naturally brings the cue ball across table, between the 9 and the two, allowing you to shoot the 2 in the other side pocket. This shot is ALL speed control....over and back. If you hit the one too thick cue goes into the 2, if you hit it too thin, you go into the 9.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried this a bunch of times and the easiest way to get good on the two is to use maximum high, vertical axis and softly come straight across the table between the 9 and the 2. The bottom side rail helps slow the cue ball down, and the cue ball is on the line of the shot to the top side.

Anything coming back means the cue ball is crossing the line of the shot on the two and trying to land on an exact spot in the middle of the table is double tough. Now add draw and spin and the shot becomes really hard.

Going forward softly with no spin looks to me like the easiest option and is repeatable.

I haven't tried the shot but have you tried a kill stroke with a tip of outside to bring it back out off the rail and past the side pockets? That would be my first option to try. You can even half-stroke with a kill stroke and the cue ball will go practically nowhere, even with that angle. It's amazing how you can control the cue ball, even on sharp angles with a shorter stroke.