Decelerating

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What makes me want to decelerate on the stroke on shots like this? All you had to do was maybe use a half tip of inside English to bring the CB up for position on the 6B into the corner. But I decelerated and ended up where the plain white CB is and had no shot on the 6B.

With all that room to spare, I left it a few inches short. All because I decelerated. Anybody got any tips on how to keep from decelerating on shots like this? Decelerating happens to me a lot.

r/DCP

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/851fa.png

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That shot for shape is one of the most common errors made in pool.
As I see it, The player visualizes the 6 ball not the shape position. Therefore they get perfect to the 6 ball, but not great shape.

randyg

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That shot for shape is one of the most common errors made in pool.
As I see it, The player visualizes the 6 ball not the shape position. Therefore they get perfect to the 6 ball, but not great shape.

randyg

So......Randy......you are saying I was subconsciously wanting to get the CB just up to the 6B, and not on down the table about another foot for proper position?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i used to advise you to take up bowling
but i recommend
see a psychiatrist
just trying to help....:smile:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i used to advise you to take up bowling
but i recommend
see a psychiatrist
just trying to help....:smile:

Look a$$hole,
If you cant post anything worthwhile then just f-off and stay out of my threads. Your crap is useless.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Look a$$hole,
If you cant post anything worthwhile then just f-off and stay out of my threads. Your crap is useless.

i was just trying to help....:thumbup:
sorry if you dont think my advice is helpull
i will try to stay out of your threads
good luck with your game....:)

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sure you're decelerating or just hitting it too slow. Shots like this have to be hit firmly because you're going into the rail at a backward angle (the dotted line shown on your diagram is not the path the CB takes to the short rail) and the reverse slows it way down coming off the rail. This is not a very difficult position shot. It's not one that has to be babied or finessed which is commonly where a lot of players tend to decelerate on their stroke.
Tip: don't hit this shot with top, use middle/low ball with a good amount of right.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why don't you try (visualizing the exact spot that the cue ball should end up) and see if the results are better.
I'll reinforce this idea. If you don't have an exact plan for the cue ball, you haven't really planned the shot and you haven't given your subconscious enough info to make the shot you really want.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Think of 2 tables end to end... the table you're playing and an imaginary table touching.
Hit the CB at a speed to send it to your wanted shape on center of the imaginary table.

The CB will hit your end rail and "should" rebound the right distance for shape on the 6.

Edit: I'm not an instructor.

Last edited:

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To mirror what others have is you can’t go wrong by over hitting this one. About the worst case would be leaving cb frozen on rail. So basically hit this shot firmer

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Are you backstroking all the way on the final stroke, so that the ferrule all but disappears inside your bridge hand? With the right length bridge for the stroke, it is difficult to "avoid" a pure stroke after taking a full backstroke.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hitting at the cue ball rather than through

It’s common for players to hit at a ball rather than through the ball, in all ball target sports. If I ask you if you are right handed or left handed you will sense a physical answer to the question. Language just gives us an embodied description of the stroke not the actual stroke. Just like a map is a representation of the road, not the road. Many descriptions of the stroke involve feeling acceleration through the contact. Closing your eyes and stroking allows you to feel the stroke. I’m going to assume that your deceleration description comes from your body sense. That’s good. You are tuned to the right channel. The feel and description are simply feedback. Your feedback comes from the body and where focus is targeted. My comment of at rather than through would let you know when you hit the ball if that is the case for you. Consider a normal stroke. The elbow closes and how far does the cue travel past the point of impact. That focus gets you feeling about the role of the elbow in finishing the stroke. Each were separate parts but less than the whole. They are inward oriented technique thoughts. During the actual shot you need a clear accurate picture of what you want to achieve. One school of thought about skill development describes the stages as:

Unconscious - incompetence
Conscious - incompetence
Conscious - competence
Unconscious - competence

The final stage is where you need to be during a game. You need to trust that experience and practice will allow you to produce your highest level of competence available by turning execution over to the unconscious mind.

Stage three is where you go when working on your game. You bring your focus onto something by bring it into consciousness. A mental picture of the stroke, from finding the contact point the tip must hit, to seeing the level plane the cue travels to the end of the stroke, gives feedback on that part. Players often think incorrectly about a level cue stroke. They envision the table bed as the reference for level. In fact the plane created by the situational factors on the table dictate the initial cueing angle. Keeping the cue on that line through impact and as far past that point, on the same plane, as possible is what is meant as maintaining a level cue.

At one point in my development my mental picture of what I wanted to accomplish during the shot was to imagine the cue on plane stopping at a specific end spot at the end of the shot. My body’s job was to put the shaft through to that point on plane. Adding the plane to the simple shot/shaft line gave me more of a 3D sense of the shot. By closing your eyes and even adding ear plugs, your physical sense of execution can be enhanced. The unconscious mind can develop a new awareness.

Trust that the unconscious has learned when you transition to games. Broaden your focus to the details of the game. See the shots from both sides. Sense the flow of the pattern of play from ball to ball. Immerse yourself in the emerging sensory river of sensations your body will transition through in the process. See your opposition play. Get a sense of his weaknesses. Stalk him strategically.

Turn the page on this shot and move on. Write a new, more competent chapter as a result. Let it go. Take the learning and move on. Create epic stories of triumph. Follow a wrong result with several versions of a corrected version. Revisiting mistakes over and over is like a mental rehearsal each time. Correct execution is the mental picture to follow with, after you get a different result than you wanted. And, several versions of different executions with more desirable outcomes.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you backstroking all the way on the final stroke, so that the ferrule all but disappears inside your bridge hand? With the right length bridge for the stroke, it is difficult to "avoid" a pure stroke after taking a full backstroke.

Where do you come up with this stuff? To say that it's necessary to go all the way back to your bridge hand in order to execute a proper pool stroke is absurd. He's not breaking a rack of 10ball here.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You didn't decelerate. The cue ball decelerated because it first had to fight against the natural angle of the shot, then reverse it's line. When you're reversing the angle like that, you need to use more speed than if you were going with the angle. It will feel like you're hitting the shot too hard, so many people don't do it and the position falls short.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Where do you come up with this stuff? To say that it's necessary to go all the way back to your bridge hand in order to execute a proper pool stroke is absurd. He's not breaking a rack of 10ball here.

Context is key. Here I suggest a short bridge with a full backstroke to provide adequate acceleration.

Note how your answer absolutely affirms what I wrote--you realize a full-length backstroke provides solid acceleration without undue stroke effort/leverage.

By the way, it is not "absurd" to suggest a full backstroke on a specific shot. I'd rather a player use a short bridge and a full stroke than an overlong bridge and a jabbed stroke.

Readers of this thread realize that pros routinely take very long bridges with very short backstrokes to play position while reaching a long distance across the table for the cb. And I believe Tor Lowry reviews/discusses this type of stroke at YouTube.

But using a short bridge and full but smooth stroke is an easier way for the non-pro to play very precise cue ball speed. The problem in the OP was deceleration. It sounds like you are suggesting taking a regular bridge and "feeling" for speed control while I'm suggesting automated speed control and acceleration. Is that right?

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Context is key. Here I suggest a short bridge with a full backstroke to provide adequate acceleration.

Note how your answer absolutely affirms what I wrote--you realize a full-length backstroke provides solid acceleration without undue stroke effort/leverage.

By the way, it is not "absurd" to suggest a full backstroke on a specific shot. I'd rather a player use a short bridge and a full stroke than an overlong bridge and a jabbed stroke.

Readers of this thread realize that pros routinely take very long bridges with very short backstrokes to play position while reaching a long distance across the table for the cb. And I believe Tor Lowry reviews/discusses this type of stroke at YouTube.

But using a short bridge and full but smooth stroke is an easier way for the non-pro to play very precise cue ball speed. The problem in the OP was deceleration. It sounds like you are suggesting taking a regular bridge and "feeling" for speed control while I'm suggesting automated speed control and acceleration. Is that right?
1st of all there was no mention of short bridge length in your 1st post.
Secondly, where in my post did I say that I realize that a full length backstroke provides solid acceleration, etc, etc. Because I don't.
What I did question, and Fran indicates is that it's possible that he didn't decelerate but simply wasn't aware that extra speed was needed because of the characteristics of this particular shot.
He did indicate in his post that he thinks he has a problem with deceleration on many shots. If that's the case then I'd suggest he look elsewhere than his bridge or stroke length. It could possibly be caused by improper placement of his grip hand but a more likely reason is a degree of uncertainty or fear right at the moment of his last forward stroke. You can pull your stroke and decelerate whether your final stroke is 2", 2' or anywhere in between.
In my experience it's almost always a lack of belief in what you're doing that causes decelerating.