Question for instructors

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This question is in regards to my personal game, and not related to the DigiCue.

Nobody has ever told me about this or pointed it out specifically, but I found that I get valuable feedback and I am much more consistent, when gazing back to the OB for the final stroke, I pay conscious attention to my lower peripheral vision at the tip position. In other words, I can watch both the OB ball and the CB tip position at the same time, and most importantly, I can watch the forward stroke and follow through while also looking at the OB (although the mental "picture" is somewhat blurry). This helps a lot in preventing muscle memory drift over time, fatigue, or under pressure. I just never paid much attention to it before.

I don't know. Is this something that is kind of a no-brainier and am I just not naturally inclined to have learned this, or is this something that is a personal device that helps get the job done for me? What do you think?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So are you saying that you switch your gaze to the OB just before you begin your final backstroke and keep it on the OB during the entire stroke, including hitting the CB?

If that's what you're saying, I do it too.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So are you saying that you switch your gaze to the OB just before you begin your final backstroke and keep it on the OB during the entire stroke, including hitting the CB?

If that's what you're saying, I do it too.

Yes, that is what I am saying.

What I am experimenting with is keeping my center vision on the OB as recommended by many during the final back and forward stroke, but consciously focusing on the more blurry peripheral vision of the cue stick coming away from and going back into the same point on the CB.

I've talked to some players about this. Some say Yes I Do! And some say Huh??? I was wondering if this is something you teach.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What I am experimenting with is keeping my center vision on the OB as recommended by many during the final back and forward stroke, but consciously focusing on the more blurry peripheral vision of the cue stick coming away from and going back into the same point on the CB.

I've talked to some players about this. Some say Yes I Do! And some say Huh??? I was wondering if this is something you teach.

Oh, I see what you mean. If it's a long shot, I really don't see the cue stick moving or the tip hit the OB because my focus is far down the table.If it's a close shot, it does show up in my field of vision but I don't pay attention to it. I think it's better to put 100 percent of your attention on one thing. As soon as you become consciously aware of the cue stick moving while you're looking at the OB, your attention on the OB lessens. I don't think I'd want to sacrifice even 1 percent of my attention on the OB at that point.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nataddrho...That is certainly a tenet of SPF. Personal Eye Patterns are what separate average players from becoming really good players. Read about the Quiet Eye Study, and learn for yourself. Your eyes should be on the OB when you move the cuestick forward. So you switch your eyes one of three ways...one of which is, by far, the most popular, and easy to repeat. That's PEP #1...looking up at the OB before you start the final backswing. That one is what you do, I do, Fran does...and almost all the other instructors I know do...Eyes on OB before the final backswing...and stay there, until you finish your stroke. An eye pattern that is trained into your PSR's can transform a player into achieving at least a "speed" increase...maybe more. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
This question is in regards to my personal game, and not related to the DigiCue.

Nobody has ever told me about this or pointed it out specifically, but I found that I get valuable feedback and I am much more consistent, when gazing back to the OB for the final stroke, I pay conscious attention to my lower peripheral vision at the tip position. In other words, I can watch both the OB ball and the CB tip position at the same time, and most importantly, I can watch the forward stroke and follow through while also looking at the OB (although the mental "picture" is somewhat blurry). This helps a lot in preventing muscle memory drift over time, fatigue, or under pressure. I just never paid much attention to it before.

I don't know. Is this something that is kind of a no-brainier and am I just not naturally inclined to have learned this, or is this something that is a personal device that helps get the job done for me? What do you think?

Watching the OB and stroke is unusual. It might work out for you, might not, over time. PM sent.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching the OB and stroke is unusual. It might work out for you, might not, over time. PM sent.

I am liking it right now because I can get an extra layer of feedback. I can see if my stroke returns exactly to the same tip position without losing my visual "lock" onto the OB. If it does and I still miss, I know aiming was to blame. If not, I can blame my follow through. So far its been great from recovering from the effects of fatigue. It also matches some of the things that the DigiCue is measuring.

I expect this will fade away into a subconscious effort after a while as I develop higher levels of awareness and better eye patterns.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I suppose bringing peripheral vision into the final view might be distracting, but I think if it works for a shooter it is OK. I'm sure peripheral vision is there for everyone (with normal vision) and is used to some extent anyway.

But what symptom or problem do you think his eye pattern might cause eventually?