Watson in action

boti2634

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all!

I have a question I'm hoping the forum can help me out with. My question, and I mean absolutely no disrespect whatsoever, is have any of you actually seen Watson take down the cash? Again, no disrespect intended, he's a terrific player. But I have never, and I do mean never, seen this guy take down the money. I hear from time to time, fairly often in fact, that he's a "stone killer" for the $ and I guess I'm a little confused by this. I hear he was here or there and won this and that, "robbed everybody he played", etc. but you never really know what to believe. I only know that I've seen him lose large sets to various players but I've yet to see one work out in his favor. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't figure out why in the world his backers stay with him. Can anyone out there set me straight on this?

Thanks!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
boti2634 said:
Hello all! I have a question I'm hoping the forum can help me out with. My question, and I mean absolutely no disrespect whatsoever --
:D :D :D

boti2634 said:
--[H]ave any of you actually seen Watson take down the cash?...

If you're talking about Tony Watson of North Carolina, why, yes, I have actually seen him take down the cash, mine to be exact! :mad:

He was playing a friendly game of one-pocket for 2-1/2 very large, and my eyes just about popped out of my head when I saw him successfully jump 21 balls against perfectly played safeties. :eek:

boti2634 said:
... I only know that I've seen him lose large sets to various players, but I've yet to see one work out in his favor...

They don't call him the 2004 Louie Roberts A/E Winner for nothing! :D

It is kind of deceiving to see a great player drop a big bundle, but on the other side of the coin (pun intended), one can't win BIG unless they bet BIG.

boti2634 said:
...Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't figure out why in the world his backers stay with him. Can anyone out there set me straight on this? Thanks!

You're welcome, Boti2634. Somewhere in the world, every 5 minutes, there's a pool player pocketing the cheese, big or small. In my experience of seeing Tony Watson in action on the road, his winning percentage is larger than his losing percentage. AND he never bets small, whether backed or not. ;)

JAM

Attachments

• tonywatson.JPG
    tonywatson.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 365

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was an artical in ISP or BD about Watson. It gave some background on some of his wins and losses and a little info about him. Good artical.

I have see Tony Watson play for money at DCC over the last few years and see him win, lose and dump backers (along with other players). It is really tough to actually know when a player is winning, losing or dumping a backer when the pot is big. Tony has been labelled as a player who dumps just to make an easy score. Read the story in one of pool mags. This topic has been mentioned several times in the artical.

henho

I Beat Fidelshnitzer
Silver Member
Saw him beat Shannon Daulton at the Viking Nationals a few years ago, after playing horrendously in the tournament. I was a little confused with his game at the time as well.

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
boti2634 said:
Hello all!

I have a question I'm hoping the forum can help me out with. My question, and I mean absolutely no disrespect whatsoever, is have any of you actually seen Watson take down the cash? Again, no disrespect intended, he's a terrific player. But I have never, and I do mean never, seen this guy take down the money. I hear from time to time, fairly often in fact, that he's a "stone killer" for the $ and I guess I'm a little confused by this. I hear he was here or there and won this and that, "robbed everybody he played", etc. but you never really know what to believe. I only know that I've seen him lose large sets to various players but I've yet to see one work out in his favor. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't figure out why in the world his backers stay with him. Can anyone out there set me straight on this?

Thanks!

At the Derby last year, after the first 5 days, Tony told me he was down 30,000. At the end of the tournament, he told me he was up 33,000.

Mike

Q Addiction

Registered
A couple years ago at the DCC I saw Tony Watson take down Tony Chohan for several thousand in a 9-ball race ahead match. I believe it was 9 ahead. Afterwards Chohan was trying to set up a rematch without the Sardo rack, but I don't think they ever matched up.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When he was growing up in Hickery,North Carolina he started gambling when he was around the age of 10 -11.Many did not want to play him because he was that good even at that age.Cheers
Vagabond