Starter Break Cue

calebk

Registered
Just echoing what everyone has said about J&Js, I'm very happy with my j/b. I put a White Diamond tip on it and it has been a solid breaker.

upprc04

Registered
Does this look like a good J&J Break cue? J&J

I went to their website and they have a price range but don't sell on their website from what I could tell?

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> I'm from a little different school of thought on this. I feel that a break cue should PLAY well. For me anyway,the mass-produced break/jump cues do not.

For less than 200 bucks,you can buy a plain-jane steel jointed Joss and have a Samsara or Madman break/jump tip installed,and have a much better break cue. It would be simple to have someone make a jump butt that fits a Joss shaft. I'm just not happy with a combo cue,with the exception of some of the higher-end ones like Gilbert or Josey.

I have access to repair equipment so it's a little easier for me to modify things to suit myself but you could go this route.

One of the import cue companies (Action or maybe Players,never have found one online) makes a break/jump that has another feature that would make it worth having for me and maybe you if you can find one. This one has one of those metal-rod extensions built into the butt sleeve,along with the jump joint. You could get one of those and have the ferrule changed to something closer to bulletproof,and have a handy tool for around 100. Tommy D.

dc8ray

Registered
I just bought one of the J&J cues on ebay for 50 bucks. It has the phenonic tip. Just came yesterday. Still working with it. Just wondering, do I need to do anything with the phenonic tip, such as try to shape it or what, do I just shoot with some chaulk?

D-Rock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought one of the J&J cues on ebay for 50 bucks. It has the phenonic tip. Just came yesterday. Still working with it. Just wondering, do I need to do anything with the phenonic tip, such as try to shape it or what, do I just shoot with some chaulk?

nothing needs to be done except chalk it well, phonilic tips can be hard to get chalk to stay on so be sure you use proper chalking techniques and look to see the tip is well chalked.....good luck!

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
J&j

I would also recommend a J&J cue... I was disappointed with a cheap Action J/B cue and decided to try a J&J as advertised by the AZBilliards community and I fell in love with it.

At university our club had a Lucasi Jump cue... I felt no difference in my phenolic tipped J&J j/b than the Lucasi only used for jumping.
I got both a leather tipped and phenolic tipped shaft with a beautiful butterfly inlayed butt for $120 shipped. The best deal I ever got. I enjoy using a leather tipped shaft for breaking 8-ball and the phenolic tipped shaft for 9-ball. It has been one of the best pool related purchases I have made.

Also, if you e-mail them and discuss what you personally need, they are bound to help you out and give you discounts. I got free joint protectors with both my shafts and butt and case after talking to them about my needs. They are a great company and willing to work with what you need...

The break shaft (phenolic) is a little over 13mm while the "playing" shaft (leather) is about 13mm. The playing shaft is great for a daily player too... I have used it a few times when I was in a slump and wanted to change my cue up. Reliable and reasonably priced cue. I would recommend it to anyone.

Ben

Last edited:

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It can be roughed with a tip pick. Don't go wild with it, it dosen't take much.