What is the best, or fair short race to in games for money?

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
at Derby in '07 i watched two cats in gambling room playing races to 3 for 7,000.00. couldn't believe what i was seeing.

I sure would have like to been there watching that match. I bet it was great! Like you said.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

tjohio85

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just seen this post havnt read it yet but i know i like races to one for like a dime or two!

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are the better player and want to get all the cash the quickest way is to play 2 out of 3 for xx dollars. The weaker player will rarely ever win 2 in a row so the money will constantly filter to the better player. When I was on the road with a couple of great players the young one would always try to go in by themselves and play 2 out 3 league rules 8 ball. He would almost always get in action with this and it was the quickest way to make the daily nut.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are the better player and want to get all the cash the quickest way is to play 2 out of 3 for xx dollars. The weaker player will rarely ever win 2 in a row so the money will constantly filter to the better player. When I was on the road with a couple of great players the young one would always try to go in by themselves and play 2 out 3 league rules 8 ball. He would almost always get in action with this and it was the quickest way to make the daily nut.

I am going to have to think on this post. A race to 3 games favors the weaker player! So 2 out of three games for the money is less by one game to go to for 1 of the players! Did I say that right?
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I was playing a lot of pool in the 60's and 70's, many games were played Five Ahead. I played tons of "five ahead" matches, typically five ahead for $50, which was good money back then. It's not so long and it's not so short that a weaker player might win. It was the perfect length match for a better player to win the money and not get lucked out on. We also often played Races to Eleven, anything shorter was a fairly quick 9-Ball match.

I personally preferred the "ahead" matches, less chance of someone lucking out on you. You couldn't get beat 11-10 that way. The better player had more of an edge in this format. Often you were playing someone who was close to you in speed, there were so many pool shortstops around in those days. So if I'm going to play a guy that maybe I'm only the eight ball favorite over, I definitely wanted to play an ahead match. Yes I was a careful gambler back then, but it was my livelihood and I didn't like to book a losing day. :cool:

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was playing a lot of pool in the 60's and 70's, many games were played Five Ahead. I played tons of "five ahead" matches, typically five ahead for $50, which was good money back then. It's not so long and it's not so short that a weaker player might win. It was the perfect length match for a better player to win the money and not get lucked out on. We also often played Races to Eleven, anything shorter was a fairly quick 9-Ball match.

I personally preferred the "ahead" matches, less chance of someone lucking out on you. You couldn't get beat 11-10 that way. The better player had more of an edge in this format. Often you were playing someone who was close to you in speed, there were so many pool shortstops around in those days. So if I'm going to play a guy that maybe I'm only the eight ball favorite over, I definitely wanted to play an ahead match. Yes I was a careful gambler back then, but it was my livelihood and I didn't like to book a losing day. :cool:

Hello Jay,
Thanks for your input. I watched a match last night at Buffalo's Billiards, the worlds pool hall, that was an all evening until 5AM this morning match. It was a 10 ahead match for $5000 big ones. It was very interesting to say the least! One of the players got the 8 ball. I did not stay for the finish of this match as I left at 3:30AM. This match made me think of what you said in your post on here! You are the Man!!!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
That won't hurt anyone's wallet at all!!!!
Thanks for your input.
Many Regards.
Lock N Load.

Nope. There are a couple of places you can go and watch the same 6 or 8 guys playing scotch doubles 9 ball pass the same $20 per man around all day....

:cool:

LSU1018

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For one pocket, I like playing 2 ahead for a short race. For 9 ball, I like playing race to 5 for short race.

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play chinese pool,dollar a ball,an two on the nine..its a fun game,an not to many folks are going to run the rack.

janaka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've only gambled twice but race to 5 for $10 and last time race to 7 for $20. I liked the slightly longer race to 7 especially since I was spotting this time. Cheap fun.