One-Word Thread

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm even ok with working for minimum wage as long as there's a light at the end

If that was a link on 'out of site, out of mind' CJ, I couldn't open it. I just think it's a shame that bass fishermen or bowlers( no offense meant to either ) have better TV coverage and potential earnings than pool players. Now in my opinion, that is a total shame.

Yes, every Pro tournament these days is a losing propositon because only 10% of the players make a profit after expenses. If they pooled their money together and bought TV TIME we could have a weekly TV Show on ESPN.

I'M NOT SERIOUS of course, just making an example that the money's being spent to make a difference it's just being allocated properly. I have wanted to go to several tournaments, then I look at the reality and it's just not worth it.

If I won a major tournament we could use that to leverage a nice profit (endorsements, merchandising, product sales, etc.), however, the prize money is like working for "minimum wage". I'm even ok with working for minimum wage as long as there's a light at the end of the tunnel and I know for sure it's not a train. ;) 'The Game is the Teacher'
Light_At_The_End_of_The_Tunnel_for_web-600x450.jpg

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Aimless.

Seriously, why won't the BCA just man up and create their own tour? They have name recognition, and would likely be more successful at negotiating sponsorships and TV contracts than your average promoter. They could hire someone or a group of folks to do the leg work on promotion and running it. Otherwise, we'll just see more of the same.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Challenged

BTW, I didn't know that Tony Curtis started running a regional pool tour. Maybe you meant Tony Crosby.

LOL! Yes, I sure did mean Tony Crosby. My age is catching up with me. I notice it more frequently in recent times. :eek:

I have read every single post in this thread. Man, you all really came with some excellent, excellent word choices. I hope you keep 'em coming. By the end of this week, I am going to examine this thread thoroughly once again and announce the winner.

I just might come with a second prize photo if I can't choose just one. You all have really done a great job with this project. :cool:

Keep 'em coming. What a great virtual focus group. :)

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
LOL! Yes, I sure did mean Tony Crosby. My age is catching up with me. I notice it more frequently in recent times. :eek:

I have read every single post in this thread. Man, you all really came with some excellent, excellent word choices. I hope you keep 'em coming. By the end of this week, I am going to examine this thread thoroughly once again and announce the winner.

I just might come with a second prize photo if I can't choose just one. You all have really done a great job with this project. :cool:

Keep 'em coming. What a great virtual focus group. :)

Now, you should have enough Nouns and adjectives....Tell me when you want a large grouping of Adverbs. :)):eek:

How
When
Where
Why
How Much or
To what degree

I flunked english in HS and took summer classes every year (3), w/o change. afer that samo/same ea summer, I could do a sentence diagram of the Declaration of Independence, kinda looks like a pool flow chart with many different brackets :thumbup:

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
This pool world is a tough racket. To be successful, it seems like most of the pro players, whose chosen endeavors were originally to compete in pool competitions, have turned to other pool-related enterprises.

Allen Hopkins went to promoting events. Nick Varner and Mike Sigel created their own brand of cue sticks. Shannon Daulton, Tommy Kennedy, Tony Curtis, and Mike Zuglan started running regional pool tours. Billy Incardona, Grady Mathews, Jimmy Wych, and Danny DiLiberto are today well-known pool commentators.

Johnny Archer and Kim Davenport run a pool room in Georgia. I would venture to guess that because they are well-liked players, this must contribute to this venture. Other players have not been as fortunate with running pool rooms and turning a profit.

I have watched with awe the recent resurgence of C.J. Wiley and admire how he has jumped back into the pool world with both feet. Because of his entrepreneurial skills, to include instructional videos, he was able to again enjoy pool at a height which many never reach, which is being at the recent Mosconi Cup as their coach. That is, in my opinion, a tribute to his efforts to make something good happen in the pool world, rather than sitting back and wondering what happened. :wink:

I know I'm asking for it by creating this thread, but I am working on a pool-related project and need to examine the status quo to date. :smile:

I am inviting social shooters, railbirds, action junkies, pool enthusiasts of all kinds, weekend warriors, amateurs, and pro-caliber players to please contribute to this thread. When you think of today's pool world, what one word comes to mind? TIA to any and all responders.

Opportunity

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Communications
(most pool players are able to tell good stories well enough to make them GREAT stories.)

Challenge
(every time at the table, there is a challenge to execute)

Frustration owners and players trying to make a buck and then keep making the buck.

Entertainmentthere are still lots of banger enjoying banging balls into the rails and being happy.

Leagues another interruption to drinking. :wink:

tournaments remember there are a lot more players (75%) losing than winning, these players have a desire that is worth a commitment.

status everyone wants to be known as a 'player'