The View from Mountain View.

sunnyone

cum grano salis
Silver Member
Because ever so many of you asked me to opine on the one-pocket action this week, I agreed to enhance a couple of select pool forums with my judicious analyses.

How many of you?

Well, technically, precision-pencil wise, when you math out the actual number of requests, it was … around zero.

However, applying rigorous social science computations, I did determine that hordes of entreaties for my appraisals would have come gushing in except for yet-to-be-determined factors.

This week’s pool headline?

Carlo (Superman) Biado.

This youngish Filipino phenom has already been awarded the prestigious ‘Sunny Award For The Best One-Pocket Player I Had Never Heard Of.’ (First annual presentation.)

Two examples?

1) Kicking … v. nifty. One, two and three rails to Houdini his way out of seemingly insurmountable traps. Often without taking a foul.

2) Cue ball control. Reminded me of my heartthrob, Efren. Particularly memorable were some of Carlo’s bank shots where he drew the cue ball three or more rails in order to bury it in front of his opponent’s pocket.

How impressed was I? I didn’t even enter the chat room! Didn’t want any distractions. For me, keeping my yap shut is tantamount to a penultimate sacrifice.

Oblation is my life,

Sunny

P. S. The one-pocket semis and finals are this evening. Another chance to see Superman! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/povpool

P. P. S. Purportedly, one-pocket is not even his game. Yet.

ChazL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had I known that you were watching the one-pocket. . .

. . . I certainly would have asked you to opine, Sunny.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I concur

Just got back from the tournament; I wondered who this Carlo Biado was;

I heard he was another one of those guys from the Phillippines, here "on vacation"....

I watched him go hill-hill with Raj Hundal in the 10 ball match; in the case game he ran to the eight ball at one end but left himself so straight that he could not get down to the other end for the 10-ball (9 ball was down) so his only choice was to draw straight back and take a table length shot, cutting the 10 ball in......he took his time, got down and fired it in! with Raj shaking his head...(these are tight pockets they are playing on)

Then I watch the other phenom tonight; this 19 year old kid from China (so they tell me) I think his name is Kang Can or is it Can Kang....well, he just shut down none other than Francisco Bustamante....like a walk in the park...
moving easy around the table getting almost perfect shape every time...final score in the 10-ball match Can wins 8-2

Surprised me to also see Thorston Hohmann, Darren Appleton, and Rodney Morris at this tournament too.....guess they'll all be heading down to Bellflower's Hard Times for another tournament, then to Rio in Las Vegas....Also they tell me matches will be streamed on Ustream free for the rest of the tournament!! Can't beat that with a stick.....

FYI...other notables at this tournament......SVB, Dennis Orcullo, Warren Kiamco, Stevie Moore, Ike Runnels, Stan Tourangeau, Mike Davis, Chris Macdonald, Santos Sambajon, Amar Kang, OMGWTF (she won her 1st match) and Bucktooth is in the house......GREAT TOURNAMENT.....sad postscript is that California Billiard Club is not getting renewal on their lease, will be moving to new location in Fremont, California after this tournament.....this was a great room set up by former and late owner, Chet Itow....

Last edited:

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Carlo Biado " The Black Tiger"

Thanks for the write up Sunny!

Carlo's nickname is The Black Tiger. Superman was a nick name given to Roberto Gomez by the great Efren "Bata" Reyes after he beat Neils Feijen in the quarter finals of the 2007 World Pool Championship in Manilla. The nick name given to Gomez was not only due to his Super Hero play but because he always wore Superman T-shirts when he played.

Ray

Because ever so many of you asked me to opine on the one-pocket action this week, I agreed to enhance a couple of select pool forums with my judicious analyses.

How many of you?

Well, technically, precision-pencil wise, when you math out the actual number of requests, it was … around zero.

However, applying rigorous social science computations, I did determine that hordes of entreaties for my appraisals would have come gushing in except for yet-to-be-determined factors.

Carlo (Superman) Biado.

This youngish Filipino phenom has already been awarded the prestigious ‘Sunny Award For The Best One-Pocket Player I Had Never Heard Of.’ (First annual presentation.)

Two examples?

1) Kicking … v. nifty. One, two and three rails to Houdini his way out of seemingly insurmountable traps. Often without taking a foul.

2) Cue ball control. Reminded me of my heartthrob, Efren. Particularly memorable were some of Carlo’s bank shots where he drew the cue ball three or more rails in order to bury it in front of his opponent’s pocket.

How impressed was I? I didn’t even enter the chat room! Didn’t want any distractions. For me, keeping my yap shut is tantamount to a penultimate sacrifice.

Oblation is my life,

Sunny

P. S. The one-pocket semis and finals are this evening. Another chance to see Superman! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/povpool

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the write up Sunny!

Carlo's nickname is The Black Tiger. Superman was a nick name given to Roberto Gomez by the great Efren "Bata" Reyes after he beat Neils Feijen in the quarter finals of the 2007 World Pool Championship in Manilla. The nick name given to Gomez was not only due to his Super Hero play but because he always wore Superman T-shirts when he played.

Ray

Very interesting! I like learning these pool tidbits. Thanks! :cool:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How many of you?

Carlo (Superman) Biado.

Two examples?

Oblation is my life,

Sunny

Delicious, Ms. Sunnyone! :)

Zirroe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
will this event be held again?

I know the actual building is closed down, are they holding it again in the new location?

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member

[]2) Cue ball control.[/] Reminded me of my heartthrob, Efren. Particularly memorable were some of Carlo’s bank shots where he drew the cue ball three or more rails in order to bury it in front of his opponent’s pocket.

Oblation is my life,

Sunny

What's the "other" analyses ??? This was analysis that you opined. Did I miss something ?? did you "pine" on something else ?? :D
ok,.......... before you melt your blueberries in your cereal with that ostensible glare you must have,........... I'm kidding with you.

I'm glad you enjoyed a match, (even if it is 1-pocket).
Pine on "Guenevere." :thumbup::wink: