Putting Mosconi Cup "pressure" into perspective

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm,
This Mosconi Cup has you all turned around. If a World Champion says he feels more pressure at the Mosconi Cup than at the World Championship then it's probably true. I bet they all feel that way. Why would you or anybody else dismiss that?

Because there is so much less at stake.

Playing for other people is a different, and for many, harder, kind of pressure than rising and falling on by yourself on your own skill.

I believe Albin meant what he said.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
1. I would personally sponsor several of our top players into all the major International events, so they can get the experience and knowledge from competing against the top players in the world. Shane has his own sponsorship and he doesn't need mine.

2. No pre MC celebrations of any kind! We can save the celebrating for after it's over. Being selected is just the start of the process. That's when the real work begins. We need to learn how to win, and we will. We will be playing a lot of scotch doubles events that I create specifically for this purpose. We will arrive well prepared! I can promise that.

3. A lot of one on one time with all our best players over the course of the year. I want to find out how best I can support them and to do that I need to know what makes them tick. That way when the time comes I will know what to say and when to say it. Marcus does a good job of that for team Europe.

There's more but that's enough for now. I'm not saying anybody else has done a poor job. I'm just saying I have a different approach. I'm VERY results oriented, always have been. Other than the actual results, everything else is just a nice story. I will only add this. Our practice sessions won't look anything like what they are used to. On some days we may do more talking than playing. And on other days it may look like the Karate Kid, going over and over the same thing until I'm sure they got it! I have no problem having them play matches where every shot must be a safety! Or only kick shots today!

Given the opportunity I would dedicate a year of my life to making winners out of these guys. That's my promise. I only want one year to exact change and I feel that I can do it. I happen to like all our top players and I really want them to win this thing, at least once in their life. I believe that when Team Europe sees how well prepared we are, that will instill some doubt in their minds. That's the only opening I want for our team, just a hint of concern on their part. They will know they are facing a different bunch than before.

I will put my ass, my reputation and my money on the line for this. I'm just sick of what I've seen here this week and I know it can be altered, given the chance.

Thanks for the response....some very good ideas in there. All the best.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay,
If you were to get the job you should fly Steve Davis over to work out with some of our Mosconi Cup hopefuls. He could certainly point out the mechanical tweaks several of our players could make that would shore up their games. These guys, including even our top players, need to realize that they can still improve their fundamentals. Great snooker players tend to take this view but our pool players don't.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. I would personally sponsor several of our top players into all the major International events, so they can get the experience and knowledge from competing against the top players in the world. Shane has his own sponsorship and he doesn't need mine.

2. No pre MC celebrations of any kind! We can save the celebrating for after it's over. Being selected is just the start of the process. That's when the real work begins. We need to learn how to win, and we will. We will be playing a lot of scotch doubles events that I create specifically for this purpose. We will arrive well prepared! I can promise that.

3. A lot of one on one time with all our best players over the course of the year. I want to find out how best I can support them and to do that I need to know what makes them tick. That way when the time comes I will know what to say and when to say it. Marcus does a good job of that for team Europe.

There's more but that's enough for now. I'm not saying anybody else has done a poor job. I'm just saying I have a different approach. I'm VERY results oriented, always have been. Other than the actual results, everything else is just a nice story. I will only add this. Our practice sessions won't look anything like what they are used to. On some days we may do more talking than playing. And on other days it may look like the Karate Kid, going over and over the same thing until I'm sure they got it! I have no problem having them play matches where every shot must be a safety! Or only kick shots today!

Given the opportunity I would dedicate a year of my life to making winners out of these guys. That's my promise. I only want one year to exact change and I feel that I can do it. I happen to like all our top players and I really want them to win this thing, at least once in their life. I believe that when Team Europe sees how well prepared we are, that will instill some doubt in their minds. That's the only opening I want for our team, just a hint of concern on their part. They will know they are facing a different bunch than before.

I will put my ass, my reputation and my money on the line for this. I'm just sick of what I've seen here this week and I know it can be altered, given the chance.

OK great. But how will you accomplish all this when you don't know the composition of your team until the conclusion of the US 9ball Open at the end of October?

Lou Figueroa

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because there is so much less at stake.

I typically agree with you but some people feel more pressure playing for their country than they do for themselves. Easier to shake off a loss when it is only about you instead of thinking you let millions of people down.

Pressure is perceived and some people believe it has less to do with money than other factors.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
SJM saying that there is so much less at stake is only his perspective. I doubt he's ever been playing for his country, perhaps I'm wrong but one cannot feel what someone else may be experiencing.

I cannot begin to understand the pressure that these guys feel but do know on a much lesser scale that I pressure myself far more when playing in team competition than I do playing individually. Just a guess, but this is probably what SVB is experiencing and may be why is not performing to the standard we are used to seeing. This is only speculating of course as I am not SVB. Only he knows what he is feeling.

It's easy for us to judge but unless you are there, you are only speculating as well. I support team USA win or lose and hope that they figure it out in the near future. This year has been less than fun to watch for the most part. YMMV

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
SJM saying that there is so much less at stake is only his perspective. I doubt he's ever been playing for his country, perhaps I'm wrong but one cannot feel what someone else may be experiencing.

I cannot begin to understand the pressure that these guys feel but do know on a much lesser scale that I pressure myself far more when playing in team competition than I do playing individually. Just a guess, but this is probably what SVB is experiencing and may be why is not performing to the standard we are used to seeing. This is only speculating of course as I am not SVB. Only he knows what he is feeling.

It's easy for us to judge but unless you are there, you are only speculating as well. I support team USA win or lose and hope that they figure it out in the near future. This year has been less than fun to watch for the most part. YMMV

That's a good post. I have not ever played for my country and I, therefore, may have trouble comprehending what the players feel. My sense here was that the pressure is low for Europe because they've dominated this event for so long and were heavily favored again. In any sports endeavor, knowing you have a lot of room for error lessens the pressure significantly. Just my opinion, and of course, I may be wrong.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

Jay Helfert = Al Davis = "Just win, Baby!" :thumbup:

MOJOE

Silver Member
That's a good post. I have not ever played for my country and I, therefore, may have trouble comprehending what the players feel. My sense here was that the pressure is low for Europe because they've dominated this event for so long and were heavily favored again. In any sports endeavor, knowing you have a lot of room for error lessens the pressure significantly. Just my opinion, and of course, I may be wrong.

This is what makes a good forum. Civil opinions even if they differ. No attacks, just giving our honest opinions. A breath of fresh air. Thank you Stu. :smile:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

This is the best offer you will ever hear for the American team.....kudos, Jay.

It's time for the US team to get humble and work their way up from the canvas.

IMG_1838.jpg

And let's go all the way with this....JAY picks the team!

MOJOE

Silver Member
I've seen great play down through the years in the MC, and right now what we are seeing is very average play by our best players. It's easy to say the pressure got to them, but why? Why now and why to this team? Other teams and other players have stood up well under the same pressure and most of these guys have been here before, some of them many times.

Jay, if you were picking all 5 players this year, who would you have chosen? Thanks.

I thought albin looked plenty stressed.

If you can't teach cue ball control, and how to cue straight, you don't stand a chance.

Good organisation can help you get competitive but you won't actually start winning this until America as a collective implements root and branch reform of technique.

Forget this generation - not going to happen.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can't teach cue ball control, and how to cue straight, you don't stand a chance.

Good organisation can help you get competitive but you won't actually start winning this until America as a collective implements root and branch reform of technique.

Forget this generation - not going to happen.

All of the players know how to control the cue ball. They are just having issues doing it under pressure. They shoot straight as well.

The problems are more mental than physical. If anything it is them making wrong shot choices.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
All of the players know how to control the cue ball. They are just having issues doing it under pressure. They shoot straight as well.

The problems are more mental than physical. If anything it is them making wrong shot choices.

The pool culture in America has action roots....we all think like milers...
...Jay has to train them as hundred yard dashers.

Every game should have that hill/hill feeling.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who would you pick Jay?

I don't think it's a case of who Jay would / should pick...
The selection process is in place, unless Matchroon are agreeable to change.
The real questions is, how do you get the best out of the players that have qualified.
--
That said; it would be interesting to know who Jay would have picked this year as Captains wildcard :thumbup:

TCo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK great. But how will you accomplish all this when you don't know the composition of your team until the conclusion of the US 9ball Open at the end of October?

Lou Figueroa

Easy. Change the selection process.

Herb Brooks, "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right players."

The modern day pool player has grown up somewhat of an outcast. Last pick for kickball sort of kid. Probably not too much in the way of team participation.

Missing is the subtlety of knowing that a fist bump is just as important after a loss as it is a win. Knowing everyone on the team has your back and that makes you take theirs.

Arete

Registered
I don't think it's a case of who Jay would / should pick...
The selection process is in place, unless Matchroon are agreeable to change.
The real questions is, how do you get the best out of the players that have qualified.
--
That said; it would be interesting to know who Jay would have picked this year as Captains wildcard :thumbup:

I was following up on PT's post and if Jay were to pick a team to prepare by sponsoring and all I was curious who they would be.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good post and so true!