What pool game improvements have you made during Covid?

Kdogster

Registered
I was thinking about all the stuff I've improved in my pool game the last 6 months or so since Covid. Covid meant I was staying at home a lot more, and on top of that, I had one month break from work in July because of a mix-up with my IT consulting contract. It was meant to be a few days break, but it ended up being a whole month. That extra time was a huge hit to the checking account but definitely a massive practice opportunity. I'm lucky to have a 9 foot table at home and a wife with a job. :)

I'm wondering how Covid impacted your game and things you learned, etc?

Here's a list of improvements and things I learned (not necessarily in order). I added some links for a few things. I'm not trying to promote anything I link, but it might be useful to others.

1. - replaced my old regular glasses with new billiards specific ones and updated prescription. I got frames which were just slightly taller than normal glasses, so they still look like normal glasses. www.billiardglasses.com
  2. - fixed my backhand grip which was way too firm causing my backswing to waggle side to side. I watched videos of Jason Shaw and patterned my grip after him. This change keeps my backswing straight in-line with shot. The looser grip also allows me to snap the wrist to help with power draws.
  3. - joined AZB to sell a shaft. I ended up selling on Ebay, but I found a treasure trove of knowledge on this forum. Many of the remaining things are what I learned on this forum
  4. - Changed my stance based on CJ Wiley advice described on AZB and watching youtube instructional video by him. He calls it shooting out of the center of your chest. It took me a while to appreciate it, but it's very powerful. https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=3725547&postcount=21
  5. - Improved my closed bridge. My closed bridge was too loose. This video from Kid Delicious fixed my issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I3f49sl81c
  6. - Improved my rail bridge. It was not solid enough. I just needed to pull my index finger (the finger that wraps over the cue) in towards my hand to tighten things up.
  7. - Found my vision center and avoid tilting my head. This is another consistency thing similar to staying square on the shot. https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/eyes/vision-center/. Thanks to Patrick Johnson for referencing this Dr. Dave page.
  8. - Implementing SAWS from Dr. Dave. This is a work-in-progress to apply the variables correctly, i.e. speed, bridge length, and percentages of BHE/FHE. It's getting easier. https://drdavebilliards.com/videos/saws/
  9. - Improving the mental thought process while shooting. Thanks here to Imac007 for some interesting discussions. This area is sort of on-hold as I work out other kinks in my game.
  10. - Reading threads on aiming systems and relating them to my own personal "system". I've incorporated a bit of contact point aiming into my game on certain shots.
  11. - Using ICA video training system. I bought this before Covid at the beginning of 2020. It's expensive, but it makes practicing fun and easy. https://www.icatraining.com/

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Well my game seems to be holding up fine for a guy that only gets to play once every few months.
I'm impressed how quickly I can get back in the groove when I do get to play on a home table. Not going to pool rooms until I'm vaccinated.

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Personally, I finally got my own table this winter, I think December or January. I leveled it, sealed seams, new cloth. Started replacing my own tips on the house cues, got a little drill operated "lathe" thing and tipped a few 2 piece cues. Got some cyclop hyperion balls.Got back into pool after a long hiatus, I thought it was 5 years, but I think it was more like 6-8. Lots of practice and games with my nephew who was staying here to avoid relatives with risk factors since we both were considered essential and were working. Started getting my stoke and feel for the game back. Went from absolute garbage to decent. Mechanically I think I'm close to where I was before the hiatus, still trying to get my head working faster at analyzing racks and such, but that stuff takes a while to get back, have to kind of get the other parts in line first.

Oh, also started enjoying playing 9 ball, which I never liked.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going worse.
I think it is just lack of motivation. I feel I am stronger player than ever but cant´t keep my focus because no goal what for I practice.
I think my speed control is on new level but still failing to get my game there also.

Last week i re-clothed both our club pool tables and tightened loose one and tables feel really nice now. I hope that gives me enough joy to just play for fun. I started to put some daily 14.1 practice though.
So i have mixed feelings. practicing but not having really drive to improve. And it shows when i watch my sessions from video sometimes.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I started to put some daily 14.1 practice though.

Have you ever tried equal offense? I find it fun practice for 14:1 but it breaks down into much shorter sets. I'm not great but I can get 10 sessions in in about an hour to an hour and a half. If you just want to do one or two sets it's like 20 minutes, works really good for a quick fix before work or something. I'm guessing you're a lot better player than me, but it's a nice game for all skill levels and has a beginner/intermediate/advanced mode built in. Once you get a certain score on the level you're at, you move to the next level which gives you less handicaps.

Kdogster

Registered
Going worse.
I think it is just lack of motivation. I feel I am stronger player than ever but cant´t keep my focus because no goal what for I practice.
I think my speed control is on new level but still failing to get my game there also.

Last week i re-clothed both our club pool tables and tightened loose one and tables feel really nice now. I hope that gives me enough joy to just play for fun. I started to put some daily 14.1 practice though.
So i have mixed feelings. practicing but not having really drive to improve. And it shows when i watch my sessions from video sometimes.

Lack of motivation sucks. I know it's way easier to be motivated when you're playing in tournaments and there is some competition to get ready for. In the back of my mind, I've got a goal to move up a skill level from A to AA, when I go back to playing in tournaments. That certainly helps with motivation, but it's not enough.

I think what's been working for me is embracing deliberate practice. This has kept me motivated. Maybe I'm doing a drill and I notice I'm not consistent on one part of the drill. I'll hammer on that one part until it feels comfortable to me. It might take the next 3 nights of practice before I feel good about it, but once you get to that point, it's somehow very satisfying. That keeps me motivated to find the next weakness and so on. I mainly do drills now and very little games like playing the ghost or straight pool. Drills are like games to me. That said, I want to play more straight pool.

I've also been just enjoying the time at the table. I play good music and have a nice cup of coffee or glass of wine/whiskey. And if I don't feel like playing, then I take a night off.

Last edited:

Kdogster

Registered
Personally, I finally got my own table this winter, I think December or January. I leveled it, sealed seams, new cloth. Started replacing my own tips on the house cues, got a little drill operated "lathe" thing and tipped a few 2 piece cues. Got some cyclop hyperion balls.Got back into pool after a long hiatus, I thought it was 5 years, but I think it was more like 6-8. Lots of practice and games with my nephew who was staying here to avoid relatives with risk factors since we both were considered essential and were working. Started getting my stoke and feel for the game back. Went from absolute garbage to decent. Mechanically I think I'm close to where I was before the hiatus, still trying to get my head working faster at analyzing racks and such, but that stuff takes a while to get back, have to kind of get the other parts in line first.

Oh, also started enjoying playing 9 ball, which I never liked.

Well done on being your own table mechanic and cue repair guy. I wish I had the skills and equipment, but for now I pay people. It sounds like your game is shaping up nicely, too!

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not me but my playing friend. We know each other mostly through cycling and hiking. He comes over about once a week to play. Our wives are nurses together so she knows they are responsible and the only folks allowed in our house.

He got his own table last Christmas.

He was a decent player but has upped his game a whole level. He’s been playing a couple hours each evening. He can’t compete with me at Snooker but on the Pool table is now a worthy component.

I’ve played for 52 years...him a half dozen. If he keeps this up i’ll have to start faking arthritis or whatever if He keeps improving and beats me. Pool halls are open here but we’re both avoiding them. When we return to league play he’s going to surprise the competition.

terpdad

Registered
My draw, both pocketing the ball & CB going where I want it, is becoming more consistent. Still not where I'd like it, but getting better. Trying to focus more on stance & alignment these days, too.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about all the stuff I've improved in my pool game the last 6 months or so since Covid. Covid meant I was staying at home a lot more, and on top of that, I had one month break from work in July because of a mix-up with my IT consulting contract. It was meant to be a few days break, but it ended up being a whole month. That extra time was a huge hit to the checking account but definitely a massive practice opportunity. I'm lucky to have a 9 foot table at home and a wife with a job. :)

I'm wondering how Covid impacted your game and things you learned, etc?

Here's a list of improvements and things I learned (not necessarily in order). I added some links for a few things. I'm not trying to promote anything I link, but it might be useful to others.

1. - replaced my old regular glasses with new billiards specific ones and updated prescription. I got frames which were just slightly taller than normal glasses, so they still look like normal glasses. www.billiardglasses.com
  2. - fixed my backhand grip which was way too firm causing my backswing to waggle side to side. I watched videos of Jason Shaw and patterned my grip after him. This change keeps my backswing straight in-line with shot. The looser grip also allows me to snap the wrist to help with power draws.
  3. - joined AZB to sell a shaft. I ended up selling on Ebay, but I found a treasure trove of knowledge on this forum. Many of the remaining things are what I learned on this forum
  4. - Changed my stance based on CJ Wiley advice described on AZB and watching youtube instructional video by him. He calls it shooting out of the center of your chest. It took me a while to appreciate it, but it's very powerful. https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=3725547&postcount=21
  5. - Improved my closed bridge. My closed bridge was too loose. This video from Kid Delicious fixed my issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I3f49sl81c
  6. - Improved my rail bridge. It was not solid enough. I just needed to pull my index finger (the finger that wraps over the cue) in towards my hand to tighten things up.
  7. - Found my vision center and avoid tilting my head. This is another consistency thing similar to staying square on the shot. https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/eyes/vision-center/. Thanks to Patrick Johnson for referencing this Dr. Dave page.
  8. - Implementing SAWS from Dr. Dave. This is a work-in-progress to apply the variables correctly, i.e. speed, bridge length, and percentages of BHE/FHE. It's getting easier. https://drdavebilliards.com/videos/saws/
  9. - Improving the mental thought process while shooting. Thanks here to Imac007 for some interesting discussions. This area is sort of on-hold as I work out other kinks in my game.
  10. - Reading threads on aiming systems and relating them to my own personal "system". I've incorporated a bit of contact point aiming into my game on certain shots.
  11. - Using ICA video training system. I bought this before Covid at the beginning of 2020. It's expensive, but it makes practicing fun and easy. https://www.icatraining.com/

I have not hit a ball since covid started and my game has gone up about 3 balls! I think I will take this year off also, and when I start back in 2022 I should be a pro level player.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I've been playing semi-regularly, for about 4-6 hours at a time once a week ( I know it isn't enough)

** I've been focusing on taking it more serious, getting out, not taking shots for granted, and giving every shot the respect it deserves. Speed of the cue ball and control. Makes for more routine outs that are duplicated fairly easily.

8 ball on a Diamond bar box is fun, been playing some 9 ball on 8 ft and 9ft diamonds.

Seaspook

Has-Been
Before Covid, I played seven days a week 2-3 hours a day at the local senior centers....and never really took the time to practice, learn and test new equipment.

Now...I shoot by myself everyday in my condo game room. Now I do drills, play against the ghost and just enjoy shooting for 3 to 5 hours every day. (The game room is two doors down from my condo).

I have bought and sold two cues, played with Kielwood shafts and got a carbon shaft I love.

I do miss my friends and actual playing.

But it is what it is...

Kdogster

Registered
Thanks for the interesting replies about how the forced downtime is affecting your pool game.

The impacts run the gamut from not playing at all, keeping some home game competitions going, working on bringing up their game in key areas, and being very dedicated to home practice. And apparently, some people get better when they don't play-- lucky!

Seaspook, I'm jealous of your free-time to practice 5 hours a day! If you're not already deadly, you'll be a dangerous guy on the other side of Covid!

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, I finally decided to purchase a pool table at home!

I bought a used 9' Gold Crown 4 with new rails, Simonis 860HR tournament blue cloth, 4.25' drop pockets. I also got a 'Projector Pro Billiards' projector system to work on Dr. Dave's drills, 4k webcam for the table, Predator Arcos II and Hyperion Cyclop ball sets, Littman table light.

Damn, I've spent a ton of money!

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kdogster [* said:
- Improving the mental thought process while shooting. Thanks here to Imac007 for some interesting discussions.
/QUOTE]

I posted a restart process I used for restarting league play. It is part of a process for in match adjusting to find your stroke. After a six month Covid hiatus, returning to league play has its challenges. Not having a table like many others makes those first competitive games intimidating. So when your game isn’t there where do you start?

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=6764399#post6764399

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kdogster Improving the mental thought process while shooting. Thanks here to Imac007 for some interesting discussions. QUOTE said:
I posted a restart process I used for restarting league play. It is part of a process for in match adjusting to find your stroke. After a six month Covid hiatus, returning to league play has its challenges. Not having a table like many others makes those first competitive games intimidating. So when your game isn’t there where do you start?

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=6764399#post6764399

Kdogster

Registered
For me, I finally decided to purchase a pool table at home!

I bought a used 9' Gold Crown 4 with new rails, Simonis 860HR tournament blue cloth, 4.25' drop pockets. I also got a 'Projector Pro Billiards' projector system to work on Dr. Dave's drills, 4k webcam for the table, Predator Arcos II and Hyperion Cyclop ball sets, Littman table light.

Damn, I've spent a ton of money!
Congrats on the new home table. Your home setup is pretty fine indeed! I checked out the Projector Pro Billiards system. It has a lot of similarities to ICA, but it's much cheaper to buy the base software on raspberry Pi. I also notice they include content from Dr. Dave and Bob Jewett. ICA has the first BU test as a default module. I can't believe what a difference these systems make for practice.

Enjoy the gold crown!