Gold Crown mahogany stain

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a primo condition GC IV in mahogany. ( thanks Classic Billiard Service) But my light is a 48 inch 3 shade unit for an eight footer.

I am interested in building a eight foot florescent fixture. The shaded section would be made out of Poplar, shaped to the GC. Like Brunswick made in the past.

Question, what brand and color stain would best match a GC IV of around 2000? Thanks for any advise.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I am sorry but i do not have any useful info for you. What I am hoping to do is possibly get some info from you if you would be so kind. I also have a Gold Crown, a 9ft. and I would also like to build a light. I am looking for info on what fixtures you use, how many bulbs, and what you use for a diffuser when its done to end up with good and even illumination for your table.

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
Glad to help

Fastone & Buzzard,

I went through quite a bit of
experimentation to match the
GC mahogany color. I also
built my own lighting which may
be of interest to you.

I would be happy to take pics and send
them to you privately. I am also more
willing to share my stain formula.

For my own reasons however I do not
want the pics made public. Is that agreeable
to either or both of you?

If so, acknowledge publicly and pm me your
e-mails where I can send the stuff

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Thank you Jodacus & Gold Crown for the info, I will check both sources of info, I will get a p.m. out to you tonite Jodacus.

TexanZ06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would also be interested in your light design, and promise not to post any picture, I have sent you a PM on this.

Thanks

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, quite frankly I have no intrest in posting anyones photo's but this is a little too weird.

I'm just an old geezer who put down his cue 44 years ago. After retiring I took up pool again and after four years replaced my table with a mint condition GC. I was looking to match up the stain for a nice matching light.

That's it. No stealing anyone else's design or proprietary information. So thanks but no thanks.

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
Buzzard,
It's not about propriety. Just my privacy
and the privacy of my room. I'm an old
guy too and I enjoy the privacy I have.

You are welcome, none the less. pm sent

Jodacus

Last edited:

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
On their way

Texan,
Pics and brief description sent to your e-mail.
Hope it helps.

speedi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a primo condition GC IV in mahogany. ( thanks Classic Billiard Service) But my light is a 48 inch 3 shade unit for an eight footer.

I am interested in building a eight foot florescent fixture. The shaded section would be made out of Poplar, shaped to the GC. Like Brunswick made in the past.

Question, what brand and color stain would best match a GC IV of around 2000? Thanks for any advise.

I am a builder of fine furniture. Poplar is the last wood I would choose when trying to match another color. Poplar has a green tint to it. It can be a very light green tint or can be dark, almost to the point of being black. Stained poplar always looks like stained poplar. I don't care what you do to it. Poplar is a hardwood, but one of the softest hardwoods. Therefore, stain tends to be very blotchy. If you can't afford mahogony then you can substitute luan or sapele. Both are readily available and will mimick mahogany for staining quality. Hope this is helpful.
Speedi

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I was under the impression that the Gold Crown side skirts were made of poplar, I was kind of hoping to strip and paint my GC1 but not if it will make look ugly. I have seen a few early GCs stained on the forums here that seemed to look nice including the one in this link. Is there a way to tell if the wood is poplar or something else, stripping and looking at grain pattern?

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=229789&highlight=gold+crown

TexanZ06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They can be painted here is a picture of the ball box end of my newly painted GC2
52dd2501.jpg

speedi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was under the impression that the Gold Crown side skirts were made of poplar, I was kind of hoping to strip and paint my GC1 but not if it will make look ugly. I have seen a few early GCs stained on the forums here that seemed to look nice including the one in this link. Is there a way to tell if the wood is poplar or something else, stripping and looking at grain pattern?

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=229789&highlight=gold+crown

Poplar is without a doubt one of the best woods you can use if you are going to paint your project. And, if you do some searching you can find poplar plywood, as well. Birch plywood also is very good for painting, and is readily available at the big box stores like Home Depot, etc.

Once you strip your project and have it down to bare wood, you might want to do a Google search for "photographs of poplar". You may or may not be able to tell what you have, since there are so many different variations in color. If there is any hint of green you have poplar. Take a sample piece to a local cabinet maker who will probably be able to tell you for sure.
Speedi