Fury Extreme Shaft

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
How does the deflection of the Fury Extreme Shaft compare to an OB Classic shaft?

Thanks,
Robert

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
The only info I heard or read ,is the write up by Fury ..

"The Fury Extreme shaft is made of select maple wood which has been cut into circular sectors, numbered, then laminated back together using the strongest resins to insure 360 degree radial consistency in the hit and feel. No matter which direction the cue is turned, no matter how much spin you are applying to the ball, the shaft will flex equally and give you the confidence that the cue ball will go to the spot you aimed it at. This virtually eliminates the need to guess how much the cue ball will deflect on each shot. This model has phenolic collars featuring a gold lined checkerboard design and will fit a radial pin."

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is an example of a vendor introducing confusion into the market between laminated shafts and LD shafts. just because a shaft is laminated, doesn't necessarily make it LD. the fury shaft is simply a laminated shaft with a short ferrule, which does reduce the deflection some. but not enough that i would consider it a true LD shaft. the OB Classic you mentioned will have significantly less deflection than the Fury as their design removes much more weight from the front of the shaft.

this is an example of a vendor introducing confusion into the market between laminated shafts and LD shafts. just because a shaft is laminated, doesn't necessarily make it LD. the fury shaft is simply a laminated shaft with a short ferrule, which does reduce the deflection some. but not enough that i would consider it a true LD shaft. the OB Classic you mentioned will have significantly less deflection than the Fury as their design removes much more weight from the front of the shaft.

Nowhere in the description above was there a claim that the Fury shaft is low deflection. The vendor didn't do anything wrong here according to that description. There was no comparison to any other shaft. Simply said that the shaft deflects equally all the way around.

I play with one of these and am very happy with it but I didn't buy it because of the deflection claims. I jsut liked the way it looked and felt when I hit a ball with it.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Nowhere in the description above was there a claim that the Fury shaft is low deflection. The vendor didn't do anything wrong here according to that description. There was no comparison to any other shaft. Simply said that the shaft deflects equally all the way around.

I play with one of these and am very happy with it but I didn't buy it because of the deflection claims. I jsut liked the way it looked and felt when I hit a ball with it.

Thanks,

That was the information I was after.

Robert

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i see what you're saying....i guess what i didn't like was the "This virtually eliminates the need to guess how much the cue ball will deflect on each shot." I think that is somewhat misleading, as it somewhat implies that you don't need to account for deflection. The cue ball is certainly deflecting and you need to compensate for that. It may be the deflection is the same regardless of the orientation of the shaft, but you still need to "guess how much the cue ball will deflect". splitting hairs here, but i think some of this is what leads to confusion by customers on laminated shafts and LD.

IMO, i've never felt that non-laminated shafts really had different amounts of deflection if you turned it different ways. at least not anything significant. i think there are other benefits to lamination, but this i never really saw.